No Oppo Supporters General AFL discussion and other club news

Remove this Banner Ad

“We'll also look at what it looks like around the country because it's created excitement that we wish we could bottle for the whole year.
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

high quality GIF

Cue the obvious question...why not just play the whole round one week earlier, if they want to take advantage of no NRL?
So the spotlight was firmly fixed on Brisbane, Gold Coast, GWS and Sydney.

All hosting high profile Vic clubs in NRL territory to get big crowds.

If you play the full round that “showcase the northern clubs” aspect gets diluted, if not lost altogether.

The media would’ve been reporting on games in WA, SA & Vic at the same time - which isn’t what the AFL want.

So the spotlight was firmly fixed on Brisbane, Gold Coast, GWS and Sydney.

All hosting high profile Vic clubs in NRL territory to get big crowds.

If you play the full round that “showcase the northern clubs” aspect gets diluted, if not lost altogether.

The media would’ve been reporting on games in WA, SA & Vic at the same time - which isn’t what the AFL want.
Yes, thank you for re-explaining the AFL's more-than-obvious motivations for the origin round.

My point was that any person not involved in the marketing department at the AFL would know that any effect would be negligible; the home state media in Sydney and Brisbane are already hugely focussed on their own team. This would have been the case even in a full round.

The supposed benefits, exposure in an NRL-free week, would have been just as strong with a full round...but without the disruption to the ladder. I'm sure I can look at the ladder for the next few weeks and see who has a game in hand, but it was a completely unnecessary strategy.

Last edited:
Yes, thank you for re-explaining the AFL's more-than-obvious motivations for the origin round.

My point was that any person involved not in the marketing department at the AFL would know that any effect would be negligible; the home state media in Sydney and Brisbane are already hugely focussed on their own team. This would have been the case even in a full round.

The supposed benefits, exposure in an NRL-free week, would have been just as strong with a full round...but without the disruption to the ladder. I'm sure I can look at the ladder for the next few weeks and see who has a game in hand, but it was a completely unnecessary strategy.
Yes - but what were the Victorian, South Australian and Western Australian AFL media focusing on?

Games played north of the Murray River in front of bigger home crowds than GC / GWS usually get.

Yes - but what were the Victorian, South Australian and Western Australian AFL media focusing on?

Games played north of the Murray River in front of bigger home crowds than GC / GWS usually get.
Bemoaning the lack of game time in Adelaide and Perth. Listen to talkback in the Football states, people just want the footy back and the whole round could have played out similarly without excluding their fan bases.

Bemoaning the lack of game time in Adelaide and Perth. Listen to talkback in the Football states, people just want the footy back and the whole round could have played out similarly without excluding their fan bases.
Nonsense, a ‘normal’ round doesn't achieve what the AFL were trying. There would be no point. Whether those objectives were good ones, I’ll leave to others.

Nonsense, a ‘normal’ round doesn't achieve what the AFL were trying. There would be no point. Whether those objectives were good ones, I’ll leave to others.
The AFL could have played the same 4 games in Qld and NSW, achieved the crowds and exposure with no NRL to compete against and still played the rest of the round. The SMH and Telegraph would have reported on the great wins that the Swans and Giants had and if there were games in Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth, there would have been a paragraph buried somewhere that no-one read anyway. The same in Brisbane if they had have won and the Goldy press were up and about no matter who was playing as it was Dimma vs the Tigers.
The AFL played it well with their matchups but could have had a complete round and and further exposure in other states.

Not sure where to post this but I've finally found a way to look into the future, so if anyone wants the winning lotto numbers for tomorrow just hit me up.

PS - thanks killerspud for the like you're going to give me at tomorrow at 10.59am :thumbsu:

Screenshot_20240313-145519.png

Not sure where to post this but I've finally found a way to look into the future, so if anyone wants the winning lotto numbers for tomorrow just hit me up.

PS - thanks killerspud for the like you're going to give me at tomorrow at 10.59am :thumbsu:

View attachment 1926608
3pm and only on 11%? Think you need a new phone!

View attachment 1926608
Can't wait to find out what I will write to you tonight.

The AFL could have played the same 4 games in Qld and NSW, achieved the crowds and exposure with no NRL to compete against and still played the rest of the round. The SMH and Telegraph would have reported on the great wins that the Swans and Giants had and if there were games in Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth, there would have been a paragraph buried somewhere that no-one read anyway. The same in Brisbane if they had have won and the Goldy press were up and about no matter who was playing as it was Dimma vs the Tigers.
The AFL played it well with their matchups but could have had a complete round and and further exposure in other states.

The intention and the execution do not line up.

Grounds sold out because there was a long time for people to prepare and travel.

But the same organization won’t give interstate travelling fans info on when the latter part of the seasons fixtures will be.

Is a win for TV fans or in person fans?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Collingwood 2023 premiers Brisbane 2023 GF Melbourne 2021 premiers Richmond 2020 premiers could all be going into round 2 at 0-2 then brisbane playing Collingwood with Melbourne facing Port away and Richmond v sydney at home

Laura Kane, some time this week

Cue the obvious question...why not just play the whole round one week earlier, if they want to take advantage of no NRL?

Dumbass marketing from some fool with a pony tail straight out of his marketing course...I'm sure it won't be long before AFLX Mk.II gets a run...
But, they even stuffed that up as there was NRL on all weekend, even a game in Melbourne I believe.

Laura Kane, some time this week

Dumbass marketing from some fool with a pony tail straight out of his marketing course...I'm sure it won't be long before AFLX Mk.II gets a run...
AFL Y?

Curious as to what everyone's opinion in here is on this. Should all the money owed to Brayshaw fall within Melbourne's salary cap, partially or none at all?

I think if there is an independent assessment of the player's health which rules him or her out, and it only applies to concussion, then it can be outside the cap. Otherwise I think it should all be from within on the basis that otherwise a club could heavily back-end a contract for a player who agrees he/she won't play the last year or two when the bulk of the money is owed due to whatever illness or injury you want come up with. If Brayshaw's money is out of the cap then presumably so would this fictional player's be. Meaning the conniving club in question could afford to pay big money to another player for the early years of the first player's contract when he/she is on chips, and then bring in another player on big money when the first player 'retires'. Imagine how we'd have reacted if Buddy had walked out of Sydney half way through his contract due to a long term injury and the AFL said they didn't have to include his salary in their cap when it was that salary promised to him for years 6-10 that got him out of the Hawks. I know this is a bit conspiratorial but there are people in clubs paid in part to find these sorts of loopholes. I know one of them!

Curious as to what everyone's opinion in here is on this. Should all the money owed to Brayshaw fall within Melbourne's salary cap, partially or none at all?

Playing devils advocate .
Melbourne were aware of his previous concussions and still committed to a high value , long term contract .
This might be where there is grey area .

Gut feel is it will be partial and the AFL may even allow Melbourne to spread the 'hit' where they want over the term.

This may see the move towards US style contracts where you have garaunteed $$$$ in light of something happening , as against the potential total contract .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back