No Oppo Supporters General AFL discussion and other club news

Remove this Banner Ad

It would be better to setup a new club with an existing playing list if possible. Its a decade of shitness otherwise at best.

Not exactly a silver bullet. The Suns are already over a decade of shitness now.

Others have said that they need to given them more soft cap around the coaching department rather than more draft picks.

Being that the footy department will presently be a Clarko fiefdom I don’t see how even that helps them.

How the fk did Richmond beat Sydney
They have been smashed with injury. When they played Sydney they had most of their best players on the park it was literally the aftermath of that game which started the chaos for them. Tom Lynch is a mirror image of Mitch Lewis. Both super important to the team both can't stay on the park. There a different side with him out there. Were much more competitive in the early rounds because of it.

They were not setup with an existing playing list though.

Well sure, I wasn’t aware I had to read every word in there for the full context! You’re quite the taskmaster.

I think in terms of club infrastructure though Norf aren’t that poorly - they run profits and have zero debt. I think the biggest existential threat they have is Clarko continuing to be allowed to just run the club as he sees fit if he continues to have zero answers much like he’s had since 2017 onwards. If he’s allowed to just drive the car into the ditch for another 3.5 years then they are in for a world of hurt.

I wonder just how much longer the AFL can keep kicking the can down the road that is North Melbourne?

They are dying as a valid AFL club right before our eyes.

Where to start?

Memberships will plummet after this season you'd think.

0-23 is a genuine possibility with Richmond in Rd 23 as their best shot at a win.

They are losing a whole generation of new supporters. 12 wins in the last 5 seasons aren't the stats that attract kids to follow them.

Their list is a train-wreck.

Probably 2 B+ senior players in Larkey and LDU and a smattering of promising kids are the highlights of what must be the worst list the AFL has ever seen, and I include early Brisbane in that as well.

The kids are regressing in front of our eyes.

Duursma (pick 4) and McKercher (pick 2) look broken already. Sheezel (pick 3) played his worst ever game last weekend and looks like he has just about had enough. Brayden George (pick 26) has yet to debut, and the best of the kids, Wardlaw (Pick 4) has hammys made of paper sadly for him.

JHF (Pick 1) has already left, whilst Will Phillips (Pick 3) is 50/50 at best to remain on their list if you believe their board, Will Powell (Pick 14) is struggling for consistency, and Tarryn Thomas (Pick 8) has been sacked.

Others, like Spicer, Mahoney and Perez have just been complete busts.

And in a statement of peak ******* hubris the biggest fraud on their list, Cam Zurhar will only sign the 5 year deal in front of him, "If North shows signs of improvement".

That's North right there - the most unfit, lazy downhill skier on their list is pretty much holding them to blackmail.

How did it come to this?

It's easy to say that changing managers has been the issue,but they are paying $1,000,000+ PA to Clarkson who, it has to be said, seems to have taken them backward.

Under Clarkson, there is no discernible game plan, no improvement of skills, fitness or team harmony.

There are apparently no consequences as senior players stink up the field week after week and stay in - McDonald, Corr, LDU, Simpkin, Zurharr, Tucker etc etc have been dreadful.

On Saturday we saw Scott and Fisher s**t themselves, something Stephens does every week, and all 3 evade contact nearly as much as Phoenix Spicer did. Sadly McKercher has done it twice as well.

So here we are - a winless team with a terrible list of cloggers and head-duckers, supplemented by promising kids who are having to learn to play pretty from a coach who looks more and more out of touch with the modern game as each week passes.

The victims are the fans of North Melbourne, and honestly, their board post-match is horrible reading.

Members of 60 yrs+ support are leaving. Attendance at the games are understandably dwindling, and worst of all, they all sound so broken and out of love with their club.

It won't get better next season either. After losing Goldstein and McKay,they seem certain to lose LDU and Zurharr and there will be a lot of clubs asking the question to the remaining early draft picks on the North Melbourne list.

More Fishers, Tuckers or Stephens isn't the answer - so where to go for North Melbourne?

I cannot see any other answer except the AFL taking over the running of the club.

Their drafting, trading and development has been parks league level, and the current coaching set up isn't working at all.

It's at the stage where any team drawing North twice in a season has a massive 4 point advantage over a team who plays them only once, and that cannot be allowed to continue.

I feel terrible even saying this, as god knows the fans are hurting so much already, but it's time to give genuine consideration to rolling up North Melbourne and merging with the Tasmanian team.

It solves so many problems, but North Melbourne are now much worse than Fitzroy on-field, and off-field it's only a matter of time before they equal them there as well.

Something has to happen, as this situation cannot be allowed to roll on unaddressed for any longer, for the sake of the competition and the North fans.
Agree with a lot of what you have said BUT there is no way us Tasmanian’s want the beggars to be merging with a Tassie team. We want our own stand alone team using the history of this state to build the future team, they have to own the mess they have created and somehow get out of it.

View attachment 1988286

Not one for bringing up politics on this site (though always happy to dig in when others bring things up) but this is just Tony Jones flapping his jaw to get a cheap shot in at Albo.
AFAIK Albo has always been a diehard Hawks man- trollop for someone to take this shot at hime.
Tony Jones is a class-A tool without compare

Christ Scott having a monumental public whinge about how the umpires unfairly treat his team...faaahhhken hellll. It's hard to take...

He plays the deflection and media off a break perfectly.

He always manages to get very close to the line by bagging the umps out but then finishes off with a comment like “this by no means is a whinge about umpiring as they have a very difficult job to do” or some suck up dribble like that to keep himself out of trouble.

View attachment 1988286

Not one for bringing up politics on this site (though always happy to dig in when others bring things up) but this is just Tony Jones flapping his jaw to get a cheap shot in at Albo.
AFAIK Albo has always been a diehard Hawks man- trollop for someone to take this shot at hime.

Pretty sure I've seen a photo from early 90s. There's also that video of him singing with the band from about ten years back. He's legit and Tony Jones is a clown.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawthorn won a flag the same year the Rabbitohs won a premiership (71) and Albo would have been 8. I adopted the Hawks similarly in 89 despite living in rugby league territory. Its not crazy to think he’s been a supporter for a long time.

Hawthorn won a flag the same year the Rabbitohs won a premiership (71) and Albo would have been 8. I adopted the Hawks similarly in 89 despite living in rugby league territory. Its not crazy to think he’s been a supporter for a long time.
In 2014 Albo’s and mine beloved Bunnies and Hawks took out the double of NRL and AFL premierships

Last edited:
The lack of media coverage re Cameron concussion is staggering. Most important issue in the game and donuts. Other clubs are surely going to take advantage of this and can refer to Cats game

Andrew Dillon gave it the “no issues here”.

What actually was the defining difference between the treatement of Cameron and Aliir

I do find it quite ironic and almost synchronous that we have traded for freo for club defining players.

Once upon a time that netted us a Hodge and Mitchell, some very smart people chose well but a huge amount of luck as well.

This time around omeara trade has netter us meek and weddle with some also very smart people and huge amount of luck at hand.

Freo just keep secretly willing the hawks on, long may it continue.

*for the list management thread if it ever opens back up

Highlighted for almost half an ep on the couch, thought it was a good spotlight.
Justin Longmuir came out and said that he has an unpopular opinion of wanting the AFL to take control as there was too much inconsistency between the clubs on how they handled it. Said straight out that there were instances where they had watched other clubs and surprised at how other players were handled.

Bevo bumbled, fumbled and dodged the question given how they handled Libba.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back