No Oppo Supporters General AFL discussion and other club news

Remove this Banner Ad

There’s too many Melbourne teams in what is now a national comp.

I like the idea of a third WA and SA club. This will undoubtedly happen in the next 10-15 years I would bet.

I truly believe that Saints and Roos need to be removed from the comp if we are going to continue to expand into other states, the sooner the better.

I like the idea of a third WA and SA club. This will undoubtedly happen in the next 10-15 years I would bet.

I truly believe that Saints and Roos need to be removed from the comp if we are going to continue to expand into other states, the sooner the better.
Which is we need to keep winning and be successful again asap, we could so easily be in this mix.

Which is we need to keep winning and be successful again asap, we could so easily be in this mix.
No, not easily at all.

We are a stand alone, asset rich club that is far removed from the financial situation that the Saints and Roos find themselves in.

Hard disagree - it’s the largest city in the country. The Giants and Suns are far more irrelevant and meaningless - if you want another team in SA and WA then just give them those licenses.

No, not easily at all.

We are a stand alone, asset rich club that is far removed from the financial situation that the Saints and Roos find themselves in.

For the moment. Nothing lasts forever, even cold November rain.

19 teams is just wrong. A bye every week. Some teams will get more byes than others. Also very concerned that the talent pool is thinning. Probably need 2 divisions of 10, play each other twice, then finals for 4 weeks - maybe a grand final where they both meet after that?

in case you need some comedy amongst the serious suggestions:

The creation of more trophies and a national reserves competition are among ideas clubs and players are campaigning for under the AFL’s competitive balance review. Chris Scott wants more recognition of the minor premier. (no suggestions about how/what to do, just comparisons with other sports/codes)

Geelong players are largely pushing for celebrating more players than the 23 who play on grand final day after embracing coach Chris Scott’s squad mentality. The Cats only counts their players’ highest scoring 21 games in best-and-fairest voting to ensure those who are rested or injured are not disadvantaged.

It’s understood some clubs, including Geelong, are arguing that West Coast and Fremantle are not disadvantaged by their travel burdens because they fly business class. Under the Collective Bargaining Agreement the WA clubs are afforded a minimum of 12 business class seats for all flights to and from the eastern seaboard. The other 16 clubs attempt to secure exit row seating or two passengers per three seats subject to availability on Virgin Australia commercial flights.

The Cats are also strongly against handing out priority picks to struggling clubs. Last year Scott described the assistance package given to North Melbourne as “blatant manipulation” of the draft. It’s understood North Melbourne wants the AFL to open up list management as much as possible to help accelerate its list build. The Kangaroos do not believe the free agency model works because players do not choose to join bottom clubs.

Collingwood has called for VFL curtain-raisers to be staged before AFL matches to ensure all of their staff and players are at the same ground on the same day. The Magpies believe staging VFL and AFL matches on different days creates an unfair workload on their staff and impacts their wellbeing.
But a national reserves competition does not have the support of every club. One club boss warned on Wednesday that the exorbitant cost of staging a national reserves competition would come at the expense of grassroots football.
-------------------------------------
some teams don't travel as often, but "boo hoo" b/c WA clubs get business class.

seems like the source for this article was "Chris S", no wait that's too obvious, let's say "C. Scott".

in case you need some comedy amongst the serious suggestions:

The creation of more trophies and a national reserves competition are among ideas clubs and players are campaigning for under the AFL’s competitive balance review. Chris Scott wants more recognition of the minor premier. (no suggestions about how/what to do, just comparisons with other sports/codes)

Geelong players are largely pushing for celebrating more players than the 23 who play on grand final day after embracing coach Chris Scott’s squad mentality. The Cats only counts their players’ highest scoring 21 games in best-and-fairest voting to ensure those who are rested or injured are not disadvantaged.

It’s understood some clubs, including Geelong, are arguing that West Coast and Fremantle are not disadvantaged by their travel burdens because they fly business class. Under the Collective Bargaining Agreement the WA clubs are afforded a minimum of 12 business class seats for all flights to and from the eastern seaboard. The other 16 clubs attempt to secure exit row seating or two passengers per three seats subject to availability on Virgin Australia commercial flights.

The Cats are also strongly against handing out priority picks to struggling clubs. Last year Scott described the assistance package given to North Melbourne as “blatant manipulation” of the draft. It’s understood North Melbourne wants the AFL to open up list management as much as possible to help accelerate its list build. The Kangaroos do not believe the free agency model works because players do not choose to join bottom clubs.

Collingwood has called for VFL curtain-raisers to be staged before AFL matches to ensure all of their staff and players are at the same ground on the same day. The Magpies believe staging VFL and AFL matches on different days creates an unfair workload on their staff and impacts their wellbeing.
But a national reserves competition does not have the support of every club. One club boss warned on Wednesday that the exorbitant cost of staging a national reserves competition would come at the expense of grassroots football.
-------------------------------------
some teams don't travel as often, but "boo hoo" b/c WA clubs get business class.

seems like the source for this article was "Chris S", no wait that's too obvious, let's say "C. Scott".

Hey if he can get the league to not hand out more draft concessions to the Shinbeggars then his whinging might finally pay dividends.

Is he invoking the NRL as a code that rewards the minor premier? That’s such a weird one - the JJ Giltinan shield has only gone to the minor premiers since 1997 and it used to be awarded on grand final day along with the trophy of the day (bastardised with corporate sponsorship like only rugby league can). Its such a meaningless award and I doubt any team really cares about receiving it.

does anyone care about an award for the minor premier? isn't getting a home final and double chance (and 'seeding' in the finals) enough?

Yup, there’s only one trophy that counts. I doubt any Melbourne supporter gives the slightest toss about being the present holders of the McClelland Trophy.

Agree with a lot of what you have said BUT there is no way us Tasmanian’s want the beggars to be merging with a Tassie team. We want our own stand alone team using the history of this state to build the future team, they have to own the mess they have created and somehow get out of it.
At least having North merge with a Tassie team would make father's day a little easier.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did Albo find that scarf on a train? I lost three in a row about a decade ago coming home from the G poelaxed
He wore a scarf after the 2015 GF and sang the song with the team then, so doubt it.

Hard disagree - it’s the largest city in the country. The Giants and Suns are far more irrelevant and meaningless - if you want another team in SA and WA then just give them those licenses.
You and I both know that is not going to happen.

We do have too many teams in Melbourne.

That doesn’t mean he didn’t find it on a train in 2013 or 2014? I’m looking for at least two lost ones in any case 🤣
He's a life long supporter of the Hawthorn football club according to his wikipedia page. Maybe that's how he became one, by stumbling on your scarf.

We do have too many teams in Melbourne.

Based on what metric? The league has no issues supporting every existing club including the Giants and Suns who have substantially less members, crowds, TV ratings and reason to exist than every single Melbourne club. Clubs with over 100 years of history shouldn't have to exit the league just because the AFL was so hellbent on putting teams in rugby league heartlands where the game was never going to take hold. With the population here only forecast to increase substantially compared to capitals like Adelaide and Perth I don't buy the argument that there are too many teams here. The population here is forecast to be 8,000,000 by 2050. Supporting 9 teams won't be an issue.

Based on what metric? The league has no issues supporting every existing club including the Giants and Suns who have substantially less members, crowds, TV ratings and reason to exist than every single Melbourne club. Clubs with over 100 years of history shouldn't have to exit the league just because the AFL was so hellbent on putting teams in rugby league heartlands where the game was never going to take hold. With the population here only forecast to increase substantially compared to capitals like Adelaide and Perth I don't buy the argument that there are too many teams here. The population here is forecast to be 8,000,000 by 2050. Supporting 9 teams won't be an issue.
If you were building a new league from scratch, you'd probably say 6 to Melb + Geelong, 2 each NSW + QLD, 1 Tassie, 2 SA, 3 WA, and maybe 1 in NT if you wanted to go truly national.

But like the way a city evolves, it's the lineage and history of football that makes it what it is. Agree with your take that you can't just rip that away from people.

On the topic of a 3rd team in SA and WA - which I have seen suggested in the past also, exactly how much appetite is there for this? Genuinely asking - are there significant portions of supporters of Aussie Rules who feel zero loyalty to both the incumbent teams in the state that there would be sufficient members to support new sides?

If you were building a new league from scratch, you'd probably say 6 to Melb + Geelong, 2 each NSW + QLD, 1 Tassie, 2 SA, 3 WA, and maybe 1 in NT if you wanted to go truly national.

But like the way a city evolves, it's the lineage and history of football that makes it what it is. Agree with your take that you can't just rip that away from people.
It's not people, it's north supporters.

On the topic of a 3rd team in SA and WA - which I have seen suggested in the past also, exactly how much appetite is there for this? Genuinely asking - are there significant portions of supporters of Aussie Rules who feel zero loyalty to both the incumbent teams in the state that there would be sufficient members to support new sides?
Anecdotally speaking from SA - no.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back