No Oppo Supporters General AFL discussion and other club news

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe I’m going mad? I watch a moderate amount of footy and I can’t immediately recall ever seeing a player pinged for not giving the ball directly back to the umpire. I mean, I’m sure it has but …

I can, however, remember seeing players intentionally dumping the ball on the ground after a stoppage or an out of bounds and not getting done plenty of times though 🤷🏼‍♂️

Maybe I’m going mad? I watch a moderate amount of footy and I can’t immediately recall ever seeing a player pinged for not giving the ball directly back to the umpire. I mean, I’m sure it has but …
Not the first instance.
This has already been paid a few times this season. A player not giving the ball back immediately to an umpire, that is.

Not the first instance.
This has already been paid a few times this season. A player not giving the ball back immediately to an umpire, that is.
I’ve just read through the Laws of the game, and can’t see any reference to it. There is a specific rule for dropping ball on ground or returning direct to boundary umpires when ball goes out of bounds, but nothing about returning direct to field umpire that I could see.

Can anyone point me to where in the rules an umpire can actually pay that free?

Freo gets a gift goal because the ball was not handed back to the umpire.
What a joke our game has become.
That's a free kick one hundred percent of the time. People are bewildered because it so rarely happens because you'd have to be an utter moron to pass it to a player when the umpire is asking for it. But when it does happen it is always paid, One of the few rules with no subjectivity.

I’ve just read through the Laws of the game, and can’t see any reference to it. There is a specific rule for dropping ball on ground or returning direct to boundary umpires when ball goes out of bounds, but nothing about returning direct to field umpire that I could see.

Can anyone point me to where in the rules an umpire can actually pay that free?
As I understand it, (I may be wrong) it is to do with delaying the game. Same ting if it's a boundary throw in and you throw the ball over the fence. That hasn't happened since they added time on for OOB.

As I understand it, (I may be wrong) it is to do with delaying the game. Same ting if it's a boundary throw in and you throw the ball over the fence. That hasn't happened since they added time on for OOB.
I find it interesting that there is a specific rule for the boundary one in the rule book, Rule 18.10.2 (c), but there is not a specific rule for handing the ball back direct to field umpire.

Umpire didn’t pay the free for delay of game, he said you have to hand it back direct to me. I’d just like to see where that ‘rule’ is written.

Just think common sense needed to prevail in that moment. 15m from goal, straight in front and you’re paying that for literally not even 1 second worth of delay. Game defining momentum swing. Never gets paid for at any other time I can remember? I want Collingwood to finish last more than anyone because we have their pick, but that decision sucked.

I'm fine with the free tbh...but they need to pay it now, in every game, in every position all around the ground, for the rest of the season, Grand Final included. And even against the cats. Good luck Umps.
Be careful of what you wish for.
The Afl have empowered the umps to a point where their arrogance & self entitlement rears it's ugly head consistently in games.

Just making it up as they go along 😂

I actually don't understand the carry-on over this.
This has always been a rule and I reckon I've seen it paid a couple times a year.

Commentary around umpiring this week has been rough I think- I feel like we're asking too much currently as there are a loud group asking for the game to be umpired romantically (whistle going away in close games, recognising heat of the moment actions and not punishing them etc), whilst an equally loud group are asking it to be adjudicated to the letter of the law (which is what happened here).

I'm all for calling out the umpires and going after them for missed decisions, but jeez we're asking a lot from them to be both purely objective/by the book AND expecting them to recognise when to not be objective and to let the game play.

It's a stupid sport to umpire, I really do feel for them.

Be careful of what you wish for.
The Afl have empowered the umps to a point where their arrogance & self entitlement rears it's ugly head consistently in games.
And this is the most relevant point. The lack of consistency of decision making within a game, let alone a round, is a mess and has been for too long now.

WE believe the umpire got it right. It is WE that is the problem.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This has always been a rule and I reckon I've seen it paid a couple times a year.

Commentary around umpiring this week has been rough I think- I feel like we're asking too much currently as there are a loud group asking for the game to be umpired romantically (whistle going away in close games, recognising heat of the moment actions and not punishing them etc), whilst an equally loud group are asking it to be adjudicated to the letter of the law (which is what happened here).

I'm all for calling out the umpires and going after them for missed decisions, but jeez we're asking a lot from them to be both purely objective/by the book AND expecting them to recognise when to not be objective and to let the game play.

I guess I’ve been equating that action to players leaving or dropping the ball at a stoppage, which I see often and is clearly done to give them time to set up. So it jars to ping it in a situation like last night.

I actually think it should be a free kick, but in all instances of time-wasting. If they paid all of them from the start of the season I reckon it would stop happening before the end of the first round. But if you give players an inch …

On the broader issue of umpiring, they do cop more shit than they deserve. They make mistakes and it’s fine. And the expectations on them are often unrealistic given the nature of the game and the AFL’s constant shifting “interpretations”.

Still, I’m a pretty relaxed person and I find myself bewildered by decisions in games in which I don’t care who wins. Even against teams I’d like to see lose. Mainly it’s just a matter of consistency - it feels like they sometimes randomly go letter of the law on one incident and then just revert to business as usual.

I guess I’ve been equating that action to players leaving or dropping the ball at a stoppage, which I see often and is clearly done to give them time to set up. So it jars to ping it in a situation like last night.

I actually think it should be a free kick, but in all instances of time-wasting. If they paid all of them from the start of the season I reckon it would stop happening before the end of the first round. But if you give players an inch …

On the broader issue of umpiring, they do cop more s**t than they deserve. They make mistakes and it’s fine. And the expectations on them are often unrealistic given the nature of the game and the AFL’s constant shifting “interpretations”.

Still, I’m a pretty relaxed person and I find myself bewildered by decisions in games in which I don’t care who wins. Even against teams I’d like to see lose. Mainly it’s just a matter of consistency - it feels like they sometimes randomly go letter of the law on one incident and then just revert to business as usual.
I actually think it should be a thing - to return ball to umpire at any stoppage or free kick. Rather than get pinged for returning ball to wrong opposition player. I think basketball has this rule/ process?

I actually think it should be a thing - to return ball to umpire at any stoppage or free kick. Rather than get pinged for returning ball to wrong opposition player. I think basketball has this rule/ process?
I agree with this, although would limit it to field umpires[1].

I remember a few years ago there was a match (not involving us), where the ump paid a free kick to a St Kilda player, and when the oppo player got up, Nick Riewoldt called for it (he hadn't been awarded the free), and the oppo player had a 50 paid against. IIRC, it was the oppo player's first game, and thought it was poor form on the part of Riewoldt.

[1] Given the importance of set ups at boundary throw-ins, the current practice of players placing the ball on the ground seems to work well: allows the ump to know where to throw it in and also the players to get set up. If it ain't broke, don't fix it [yes I know this is the AFL]

I'm not sure who passed the ball to Daicos but after watching the Norf/Scum free above, I think in both instances the player's with the ball, heard the whistle, thought there was a free for their team mate and passed the ball to them.

I just hope that the AFL enforce umpires calling it, every single time.

It's the rules but I think the majority of watchers would say it's a stupid rule to be so rigid.

Great point.

I feel commentators bias and shooting mouth off before thinking is a big part to blame. Ive seen two exact incidents called differently depending who the commentator is wanting to win.

In fact I saw it in the same game. Did anyone see Day get a free for holding when he didnt completely take the ball. BT wasnt happy, although I thought it was a free. Later on Port got a free for the exact same thing and the same callers say “well that was clearly there.” Absolutely identical to Day, half got it half fumbled, got tackled, holding the man.

When Ginnivan lowers his head for a free or doesnt get paid its his fault. When JHF runs his head down into Day, who doesn’t move, its clearly a free, which he is afforded every time and draws every time. Yet Ginnivan doesnt deserve any high free.

What hope to umpires have with this complete contradiction that the commentators have depending on the colours of the team and the player?

Last edited:
Maybe the media will be questioning why the premiers gave up a 25 point lead with about 7 minutes to go instead of trying to blame an umpire. Did they defensive too early. And even though it may have only gained the Pies about 1-2 seconds extra, (if the free hadn't been called)the reason a player would do that is to get his team a bit more time to set up defensively

It got alot stupider when Steve Hocking entered the room and started fiddling with the rule book

Remove this Banner Ad

Back