Universal Love Getting around Reece. [UPDATE: REECE RETIRES]

Remove this Banner Ad

People will probably judge me for posting on here because 'I'm a footballer and your not supposed to do that' but this is really the only place i know of where i can say thank you to everyone who has written such lovely words of support to me in recent times, i would do it on twitter but it has a character limit and i feel like doing it this way is more personal as it is the least i can do for all supporting messages i have read. The last two years for me have been really difficult, i don't want to go into specifics because i don't want to release really sensitive information but just know that it has affected me to the point where i have suffered spouts of depression for weeks at a time here and there, i don't drink or do drugs thankfully so i am grounded in myself to see and recognize the issues i have and the effect they have on me. It's only just recently as well that i realized i suffer some heavy anxiety (amazing to think but sometimes it is hard to put on finger on things especially in the grand scheme of mental health) it started off as little things like afraid to talk to certain coaches or trainers, feeling anxious around certain players, trying to avoid people in general and then it progressed into way more serious things like panic attacks, unable to leave my bedroom for multiple days and not even being able to respond to all the messages and calls on my phone that i received during that time as that is also another thing that i struggle with. I'm going to try and not saying anything here that will get me into trouble because i know that this will be seen by people at Richmond and i am still a contracted player at Richmond so i will respect that. I love footy i really do, i love watching, listening, playing and just knowing that we have a sport that is so special and so unique that it requires such a particular combination of physical and skill attributes that does not even remotely come close to any other sport (except Galic footy and rugby a little bit) i wanna be successful and i wanna be the best, that has always been my dream but dreams are just that they are dreams they are not reality, in your dreams you do not plan for depression or anxiety or any of the crap that knocks you down or holds you back but reality is s**t happens and that sucks but Rome wasn't built in a day (sorry for the clique) nor did any successful athlete not suffer a serious setback at one stage in his career and consider just throwing in the towel because it was too hard. Will i be playing football this year? I don't know, Be i do know that no matter how hard it gets or how low or how anxious i get, i will not give up until i can be the best footballer i possibly can be, because there is nothing else more in the world that i want more.

Thank you Richmond Supporters, i know you may not think it and i must admit i lol'd when reading a message that started with 'Reece if you are reading this' but i do see your messages and i do cherish them, you are some of the most passionate supporters i have seen in any sport and for some of you to even know who i am still humbles me especially when they remember my number which is amazing because i barracked for Carlton since i was born and i only knew 30 at most players (and i was a die hard (i am sorry but i do love Richmond as well <3) If you do see me around (even though i will look pretty anxious) don't be afraid to give me a hug as you'll find majority of the time i will probably be more nervous then you. I'm happy to talk more with you guys if you'd like even if there is a stigma associated with sporting forums because i am a human at the end of the day and i love football just as much as you guys do.
What a courageous thing you've done here, Reece. Coming here and talking so candidly about your experience must be a very hard thing to do, especially on a football forum full of people you don't know and especially in the knowledge it's really 'putting it out there'.

Anxiety and depression has touched all, and I mean all, of us in one way or another; some of us have been personally affected by it, and I'd wager all of us who haven't suffered from it personally know someone reasonably close, be it friend or family, who have and/or do suffer from it. I have many family and friends who have. We've had posters on BigFooty lose their lives because of it.

All the best, Reece, as I said I take my hat off to you. I hope to see you playing football for Richmond one day, but even more importantly, I hope you have the best life possible and find happiness, whether that be playing football or doing something else.

The absolute best of luck Reece. I hope to see you playing footy against my side in the future, but the main thing is, that you are happy in whatever you do in life. All the best Reece, you courageous man for coming on and making this post.

People will probably judge me for posting on here because 'I'm a footballer and your not supposed to do that' but this is really the only place i know of where i can say thank you to everyone who has written such lovely words of support to me in recent times, i would do it on twitter but it has a character limit and i feel like doing it this way is more personal as it is the least i can do for all supporting messages i have read. The last two years for me have been really difficult, i don't want to go into specifics because i don't want to release really sensitive information but just know that it has affected me to the point where i have suffered spouts of depression for weeks at a time here and there, i don't drink or do drugs thankfully so i am grounded in myself to see and recognize the issues i have and the effect they have on me. It's only just recently as well that i realized i suffer some heavy anxiety (amazing to think but sometimes it is hard to put on finger on things especially in the grand scheme of mental health) it started off as little things like afraid to talk to certain coaches or trainers, feeling anxious around certain players, trying to avoid people in general and then it progressed into way more serious things like panic attacks, unable to leave my bedroom for multiple days and not even being able to respond to all the messages and calls on my phone that i received during that time as that is also another thing that i struggle with. I'm going to try and not saying anything here that will get me into trouble because i know that this will be seen by people at Richmond and i am still a contracted player at Richmond so i will respect that. I love footy i really do, i love watching, listening, playing and just knowing that we have a sport that is so special and so unique that it requires such a particular combination of physical and skill attributes that does not even remotely come close to any other sport (except Galic footy and rugby a little bit) i wanna be successful and i wanna be the best, that has always been my dream but dreams are just that they are dreams they are not reality, in your dreams you do not plan for depression or anxiety or any of the crap that knocks you down or holds you back but reality is s**t happens and that sucks but Rome wasn't built in a day (sorry for the clique) nor did any successful athlete not suffer a serious setback at one stage in his career and consider just throwing in the towel because it was too hard. Will i be playing football this year? I don't know, Be i do know that no matter how hard it gets or how low or how anxious i get, i will not give up until i can be the best footballer i possibly can be, because there is nothing else more in the world that i want more.

Thank you Richmond Supporters, i know you may not think it and i must admit i lol'd when reading a message that started with 'Reece if you are reading this' but i do see your messages and i do cherish them, you are some of the most passionate supporters i have seen in any sport and for some of you to even know who i am still humbles me especially when they remember my number which is amazing because i barracked for Carlton since i was born and i only knew 30 at most players (and i was a die hard (i am sorry but i do love Richmond as well <3) If you do see me around (even though i will look pretty anxious) don't be afraid to give me a hug as you'll find majority of the time i will probably be more nervous then you. I'm happy to talk more with you guys if you'd like even if there is a stigma associated with sporting forums because i am a human at the end of the day and i love football just as much as you guys do.

Reece, I didn't know you. And I didn't know about what you're going through until someone directed me towards this thread.

I now do. And I'd like to say two things to you.

One: over the years, I have observed that for many it's very easy to get onto this site and just post. People assume different identities. Some troll. Some bait. Many delight in the anonymity that the internet confers. They become heroes, 'keyboard warriors' and villains. But very, very people want to be themselves. Raw, honest and vulnerable. And I haven't seen anyone lay themselves bare like that with their first post. That's damn courageous.

Secondly: life and happiness are much greater than footy. There is no doubt. it's the bigger game. Right now, I'm watching what Roughead is going through and thinking exactly that. And while that statement is generally true, your footy club and the supporters, do care, and do form a greater family. I love how they have rallied behind you, and care. Because they do. And your post beautifully acknowledges that, and the support you feel.

Hang in there mate. Not just supporters of your club are behind you. Because we can all respect your courage and honesty. And those are two qualities which will guide you through.

Last edited:
It took guts to write something like that, Reece. Well done and I hope no one gives you a hard time about it for whatever reason.
You don't get to where you are without a lot of talent. You belong out there. Just remember that you're so young and have so much ahead of you.
I'm sure a lot of teammates will tell you confidence comes with experience, so don't put too much pressure on yourself.
Celebrate the small wins and we'll help cheer you on.
All the best.

Absolutely amazing of you to come here and be so open with us Reece. You should be so, so proud of doing this. In my opinion this just shows that you have so much more courage than you probably know you have, and i can't wait to see you show it the way we all know that you can in any facet of life.

Just know no matter what that we are all behind you and we always will be. Of course we would love to see you run out in the yellow and black, we know how talented you are!! But in saying that we absolutely all want you to be happy and healthy, and whatever helps you achieve this is what you should do.

Youre a champion Reece, we already knew that, but that post just showed how great of a person you really are.

Thank you so much, really hope to see you pop in every so often and touch base. Goodluck with absolutely everything!!

Ps. Will hug you if i see you

Wow, Reece when I logged into Bigfooty tonight I didn't expect to be moved to tears. As someone also suffering with mental illness your brave and heartfelt words really struck a chord. Backing into a pack is one form of courage but what you did tonight is, I feel, even braver.

You may not have played a senior game as yet but no matter what the future brings you'll always be a Richmond Champion to me. All the best in winning your battle big fella, everyone in the Richmond Family is right behind you.

get well mate, and take your time. At the end of the day this is only footy, and we all have so many more important things than that going on in our lives

best wishes mate

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As a fellow sufferer, thank you for being open about your condition.

I wish you all the best of luck, with your condition, and with football, and always remember that you're not alone (although with the anxiety, that's not always a good thing to remember :) ), both through the Richmond 'family', and other sufferers, there are many willing to be there for you.

Thank you for sharing this, Reece.

As someone who also suffers from a mental health disorder, I know how hard it is to open up about it. Doing so in such a public manner is even harder. Adding to the fact that there will be media watching given you are an AFL footballer just adds to it. What you have posted above, given your circumstances is arguably the most courageous thing I have ever read on the internet, not just on Bigfooty.

You have shown tremendous strength of character to open yourself up to thousands of people that you don't even know, many of whom will target you because of it, but all I can say is thank you. Thank you for sharing a major piece in your battle with this insidious disease. Thank you bringing not just us diehard tiger tragics, but also the wider footballing public in to help you in your crusade.

You have become somewhat of a bit of an inspiration for me, personally. I met you at the 2015 Members Cocktail function last year and had a quick chat to you. I myself had only been diagnosed with depression 2 months earlier. Given there had been whispers you were suffering from a mental health disorder from before you were drafted, I made an extra special effort to have a chat to you about life outside of football. The reason you have become an inspiration to myself earlier was seeing how you handled yourself at the cocktail night in a setting that obviously made you uncomfortable showed me that you have tremendous strength, self control and courage, particularly when you have been fighting an internal battle.

With this post, you have no doubt won countless followers and fans. You have also helped reaffirm to everyone that footballers, despite us placing them on a pedestal to be idolised and worshipped, are human too, and have their own struggles and problems. Unlike us, you do not have the luxury of working through them in anonymity. So what you have done is just opened up the door for many people to come forward and admit they have problems.

Without even knowing it, you may have just saved someone's life. That is a very special and precious thing and if I could, I would like this a million times over. So thank you for taking the time to write that. It isn't easy to open yourself up to random people. I know, because I opened up myself on Bigfooty a little while ago on the main forum. So, again, thank you for believing in us so much you wanted to share.

You may not make it back to football, but please just know that we wish you all the best in your life, no matter what you do, and you will always be a Tiger.

Mod Notice:

This is just for positive thoughts and well wishes to Reece. Any negativity or backlash for his extremely courageous post will not be tolerated.

When dealing with mental health issues I can imagine it would be so much harder when working in an industry filled with almost perfect specimens, I'm talking about elite athletes, models, millionaires, and celebrities. But as we all know mental health goes a lot deeper.

All I can say is look at the big picture, you have achieved something that so many fail to do and that strength you have can surely fight on. Watch the sun rise, and the moon set...each day is a new day.

All the very best to you Reece!!

I too have forms of anxiety disorder coupled with depression among other things and it is great of you to come and speak your piece here.

I'm not sure everyone will be struck down with involuntary sobbing from reading it as I appear to be, but I'm sure will be firmly in solidarity with you in your steps toward recovery.

Godspeed champ.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back