Club Focus Gold Coast 2020 - Atkins, Markov, Hollands

AFL Club Focus

Do they still need the pick 19 priority pick in 2021?

• Yes

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • No

Votes: 37 84.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Gold Coast club focus thread
Mick Ablett on the draft telecast said the Suns got an absolute steal in Sharp. I think he’d know a bit more about the kid’s talent than a bunch of nuffies on BigFooty.
I would of being comfortable trading a future first had Eagles not given it for Kelly If it was an option for sharp or Robertson the WA talent this year is underrated

I would of being comfortable trading a future first had Eagles not given it for Kelly If it was an option for sharp or Robertson the WA talent this year is underrated

I’m happy with Gould but Sharp I really liked. Didn’t expect Gould to be there though.

Rowell, Anderson, Flanders, Sharp, not to mention pre-listing Conroy, Budarick and Rosas Jnr, likely all 3 get bid on in the draft and having Gore potentially still on their academy to possibly be picked up next year?, they came out of this draft huge winners, Farrar im not sure about, but even without him they listed 7 quality kids and have another in Josh Gore up their sleeve with Alex Davies for next year if they so choose.

plus the addition of Greenwood, Ellis and with Z.Smith coming back

by the end of the season their team could look like

B: Hanley, Hombusch, Miller
HB: McLennan, S.Collins, Greenwood

C: B.Ellis, Rowell, Sharp
R: Witts, Swallow, Fiorini

HF: Harbrow, Wright, Anderson
F: Sexton, B.King, Rankine

INT: MacPherson, Ballard, Lukosius, Flanders

EMER/SQUAD: Bowes, Budarick, Z.Smith, Ainsworth, Day, Weller, Thompson, Horlin-Smith, Brodie, Rosas Jnr

this team will be led by Swallow, Witts, B.Ellis, Greenwood, Harbrow ect, with B.King proving himself last year as a high end talented KPF, we should see Rankine one of the most exciting prospects from junior footy in years make his long awaited debut, i think McLennan should make his debut and hold down a intercepting defender spot, Hombusch and S.Collins the 2 best tall defenders with the twin towers of Wright and B.King providing targets up forw, i would have B.King as FF and Wright as CHF, i think B.Ellis and Sharp would add punch off the wings which GCS have lacked a little, depending on Wellers form if Sharp gets a run, Anderson as a floating hff/mid option for his goal kicking ability and ball winning ability to shine, Rowell, Swallow and Fiorini would be my starting 3 in the centre from early next season, the good thing about this is that there seems to be more depth at the suns for 2020 even if they only debut half of the new players from the draft.

Last edited:
Rowell, Anderson, Flanders, Sharp, not to mention pre-listing Conroy, Budarick and Rosas Jnr, likely all 3 get bid on in the draft and having Gore potentially still on their academy to possibly be picked up next year?, they came out of this draft huge winners, Farrar im not sure about, but even without him they listed 7 quality kids and have another in Josh Gore up their sleeve with Alex Davies for next year if they so choose.

EMER/SQUAD: Bowes, Budarick, Z.Smith, Ainsworth, Day, Weller, Thompson, Horlin-Smith, Brodie, Rosas Jnr

this team will be led by Swallow, Witts, B.Ellis, Greenwood, Harbrow ect, with B.King proving himself last year as a high end talented KPF, we should see Rankine one of the most exciting prospects from junior footy in years make his long awaited debut, i think McLennan should make his debut and hold down a intercepting defender spot, Hombusch and S.Collins the 2 best tall defenders with the twin towers of Wright and B.King providing targets up forw, i would have B.King as FF and Wright as CHF, i think B.Ellis and Sharp would add punch off the wings which GCS have lacked a little, depending on Wellers form if Sharp gets a run, Anderson as a floating hff/mid option for his goal kicking ability and ball winning ability to shine, Rowell, Swallow and Fiorini would be my starting 3 in the centre from early next season, the good thing about this is that there seems to be more depth at the suns for 2020 even if they only debut half of the new players from the draft.

The team could look like that at the end of the year but if fit, most Suns fans would have Thompson (our best KPD before he went down with an ACL last preseason) ahead of Hombsch who is undersized for a KPD and would be battling Ballard and Lukosius for the third tall down back position. Also Weller, Bowes and Ainsworth would be automatic inclusions in our best 22 for most Suns followers, with the latter two seen as our most promising young midfielders (until the arrival of the latest crop of draftees). Brodie is also the big bodied mid who we need to come on as well. Has already shown he loves the contest and has great hands in tight, just needs to keep working on his spread and other aspects of his game.
It’s very exciting the prospect of seeing what Rankine and Flanders can add to our forward line, even if both are a few years away from becoming mature AFL footballers.
You’re absolutely right though, our increased depth can only be a huge positive, even if we have the usual disastrous run with injuries, it should still give us opportunity to get games into the young talent. Our overall inexperience on our list is what we need to improve on.

Good job.

Bowes, Ainsworth, Weller, Thompson (if ready) definitely starters.

You forgot Brodie and Powell. Powell will probably fight with Sharp for the other wing position. Suns fans hope Brodie will play like he did in his last game last year against Carlton.

I can't see Harbrow play HF (although he did play there a couple of times) especially when Anderson, Flanders, Ainsworth, Rankine, Mcpherson can play there. Also Miller at B is not probably going to happen.

Extra depth Holman, Burgess, Corbett, Lemmens, Miles. I would forget GHS as a depth. Just NEAFL.

Besides new draftees I look forward what Riordan can do this year.

Next year besides Davies Suns should also get Joel Jeffrey from Darwin zone.

By the way Suns also rookied Murtagh (decathlon athlete) this year from QLD zone. Nobody outside Suns noticed this.

Last edited:

Got to be honest, that team you've listed is pretty rank and buying way to much into what juniors are projected to do, forgetting what players who are 22-23 years old have actually done at AFL level. There are not many truly good 18 year old AFL players.

There is zero chance McLennan is playing ahead of Bowes and Weller.
McLennan has not really shown any of this 'intercepting' at NEAFL level tbh. He is looking like a steady back pocket with a neat kick who can outmark small forwards. At 183cm is pretty damn hard to be a true interceptor.

Powell is loved by the coaching staff. Jeremy Sharp will have to put in some serious work to unseat him over the course of the year. I think Sharp will play a year at least in the NEAFL. Weller moved up to the wing, from the backline the last few games and played quite well. Very unlikely an 18 year old comes in and unseats him.

Screen Shot 2019-12-08 at 9.58.23 AM.png

We'll see what condition Rory Thompson comes back in. He is clearly out best negating defender though if he is able to play at previous levels. I reckon he'll be paired with Collins with Ballard + Lukosius the 3rd tells providing a bit more drive. Hombsch the depth.

From the 2020 draft Rowell will play straight away, Anderson and Flanders will play at times during the year, but I don't think they'll be automatic choices by any stretch. Sharp maybe a handful of games, the others, very unlikely would have thought.

Don't rate Rowell top 6 long term. Anderson was a given, easily top 3. Flanders a nice slider, gave up decent currency. Sharp, rate him as a 2nd rounder, but if you can knock the figjam out of him, easily a first rounder, but to do that trade is bizarre

Rowells floor is super high. You know you are getting a good AFL player that can play 200 games, being elite level training, conditioning, attitude, leadership. Luke ball at worst, Joel Selwood at best.

For us to get Flanders from you essentially in exahnge for Brodie kemp and Sam Philp - I think the suns would do that trade every day.

For the suns recruiting that was the equivalent of a top 5 pick for a late first and not sure where they rated Philp, consensus on mock drafts was probably mid-late second rounder. Power rankings had Philp at 38 on draft central and not rated in the top 30 on twomeys or top 20 on knightmares. Only takes one or two clubs to rate a player higher for them to be a bit of a bolter though.

Philp sounds like he has similar athletic traits to patty Dow. Certainly very early in dow’s career but there was basically zero statistical improvement in dows game from season one to two. Clearly has issues with kicking and decision making. Perhaps the recruiting staff are having another bite at the apple for that burst player with the Philp selection.

Rowells floor is super high. You know you are getting a good AFL player that can play 200 games, being elite level training, conditioning, attitude, leadership. Luke ball at worst, Joel Selwood at best.

For us to get Flanders from you essentially in exahnge for Brodie kemp and Sam Philp - I think the suns would do that trade every day.

For the suns recruiting that was the equivalent of a top 5 pick for a late first and not sure where they rated Philp, consensus on mock drafts was probably mid-late second rounder. Power rankings had Philp at 38 on draft central and not rated in the top 30 on twomeys or top 20 on knightmares. Only takes one or two clubs to rate a player higher for them to be a bit of a bolter though.

Philp sounds like he has similar athletic traits to patty Dow. Certainly very early in dow’s career but there was basically zero statistical improvement in dows game from season one to two. Clearly has issues with kicking and decision making. Perhaps the recruiting staff are having another bite at the apple for that burst player with the Philp selection.

Not concerned where Twomey rates players, he goes on information he receives from clubs as to where players will be picked. KM does a power of work with his write ups, but don't always agree with his rankings. I had Philp rated at 29. As we know, no recruiter has a better than 60% strike rate over their tenure

As for Dow, he had hip issues prior to the start of the season, although his kicking was never his strong suit and I had others rated ahead of him

Philp is cleaner by foot

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sharp for 2020 pick 11 isn't as crazy as people are making out. That pick will be 15-20 after FA comp and academy matching with the academy kids next year. Sharp is great prospect and next year even without the academy taken into account the draft looks thin. Cats were probably the only ones to say yes because they've got so many OOC next year plus retirements.

Sharp for 2020 pick 11 isn't as crazy as people are making out. That pick will be 15-20 after FA comp and academy matching with the academy kids next year. Sharp is great prospect and next year even without the academy taken into account the draft looks thin. Cats were probably the only ones to say yes because they've got so many OOC next year plus retirements.
I can see it potentially pushing out to pick 15. Not even close to pick 20.

I can see it potentially pushing out to pick 15. Not even close to pick 20.
Maybe, but still even if you call it 15 there are plenty that had Sharp top 20 in this years draft and this years draft is widely regarded as having more talent. It's not the outlandish trade people are making it out to be

Agree, it might go to 14, but it's a big win for Geelong...although GC didn't pay anything for the pick so they got Sharp for nothing = GC win

Gold Coast received a lot of things for nothing (including Anderson) and they're still not finished with the gifts afforded to them.
Huge win for Geelong because one has to remember that it's not all about the player one may draft with that pick, but for the player they may gain via trade.

Giving away Martin for nothing was one of the all time stupid things I've seen from an AFL club.
Enough hot air to fill the Hindenburg, only for it to come crashing down and blow up in their faces.

Gold Coast received a lot of things for nothing (including Anderson) and they're still not finished with the gifts afforded to them.
Huge win for Geelong because one has to remember that it's not all about the player one may draft with that pick, but for the player they may gain via trade.

Giving away Martin for nothing was one of the all time stupid things I've seen from an AFL club.
Enough hot air to fill the Hindenburg, only for it to come crashing down and blow up in their faces.
GC have history of talking big and not following through (JOM).

Once you deny the trade because it's not adequate, they HAD to redraft him

If indeed the executive overruled List Management here, as I've been led to believe (this may be incorrect though), then it makes for a complete shambles and lack of trust at the club.

Anyway, given the gifts GC were afforded, they did draft well. I mean, how could you not.
If though Gold Coast did think it through with the future gift (2020 pick #11) they should have been able to execute a better deal than they did.
We saw that 2nd and 3rd rounders mean little to them, but to fling out a 1st rounder as easy as that - Don't tell me it's good management.

I actually thought the Suns got the best deal out of bad circumstances for JOM, given the fact he was out of contract and nominated Hawthorn.

They have made quite a few blunders over the years, but The O'Meara trade wasn't one of them .

Maybe, but still even if you call it 15 there are plenty that had Sharp top 20 in this years draft and this years draft is widely regarded as having more talent. It's not the outlandish trade people are making it out to be
It’s wasn’t outlandish at all. That trade would’ve been on the table for all teams before Geelong yet clubs rated Philp, Dow, Schoenberg, Williams, Gould, De Koning, Georgiadis ect higher then future pick 11. Sharp fits comfortably in that group of prospects.

I actually thought the Suns got the best deal out of bad circumstances for JOM, given the fact he was out of contract and nominated Hawthorn.

They have made quite a few blunders over the years, but The O'Meara trade wasn't one of them .
It was ok, but when you start by saying you won't do anything unless we get 2x1sts, you need to stand by it.

They could have said no deal and forced him to the draft and then picked him up again.

If they did that, they'd have got what they wanted for Matrin

Back