Review Good/Bad v Brisbane, Round 9

Remove this Banner Ad

The only thing Wigg blinded was a few people in the crowd when he kicked the ball into their heads over and over again.
We have heard that Wigg has been told he won't be selected until he tidies up his disposal and he hasn't done it yet. Far from a sure thing this week.

Absolute given he will be selected, Hampton out injured and going on his performance this year may see him have to prove himself in the twos before coming back in, on the game Galluci was probably the least influential player on the ground which was to be expected if we were playing Geelong this week I would drop him but given it's freo at home he stays to see if he can contribute enough to retain his spot

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Pyke said in his presser the players reported at 1/4 time there was a very heavy dew and they had to reassess how they were using the ball after that so sounds like the ball was plenty greasy.

They didn't realise this in the warm-up? Isn't that the point of a warm-up on the ground?!

Awesome:

Eddie Part 1 - His goal in the second quarter. Chases down and pushes the ball carrier off his kick, wins the contested ball while not actually taking possession so as to avoid being tackled, picks up the ball in the pocket and finishes with a left foot snap to beat the diving defender.

Had me in stitches on the couch just laughing and the ridiculousness of it, despite how often he does something like that.

Eddie Part 2 - Handing off the ball to both debutantes to get their first goal. The Gallucci goal in particular was an absolute gimmie that Eddie gave up so that Gallucci could get his first AFL goal.

It's funny, but when he was at Carlton I thought he was your typical selfish small forward, having a shot whenever he was anywhere near the goals. I couldn't have been more wrong. If anything the guy is too unselfish. Very, very close to my favourite Crows player.

Awesome:

Eddie Part 1 - His goal in the second quarter. Chases down and pushes the ball carrier off his kick, wins the contested ball while not actually taking possession so as to avoid being tackled, picks up the ball in the pocket and finishes with a left foot snap to beat the diving defender.

Had me in stitches on the couch just laughing and the ridiculousness of it, despite how often he does something like that.

Eddie Part 2 - Handing off the ball to both debutantes to get their first goal. The Gallucci goal in particular was an absolute gimmie that Eddie gave up so that Gallucci could get his first AFL goal.

It's funny, but when he was at Carlton I thought he was your typical selfish small forward, having a shot whenever he was anywhere near the goals. I couldn't have been more wrong. If anything the guy is too unselfish. Very, very close to my favourite Crows player.
The quality of players around Eddie makes a difference compared to the player he was at Carlton.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

They didn't realise this in the warm-up? Isn't that the point of a warm-up on the ground?!
Always always walk out on the ground, look at where the lights are positioned, feel if there is any wind and where it comes from, feel the grass, the thickness and the spring. Look at how the seats are aligned. The shape of the grandstands. Dew. Humidity.

Take your fricking headphones off and spend 2 minutes assessing the ground.

One thing I noticed is a few times Tex didn't go into a full sprint to win the ball when he could have. Is he carrying an injury?
Saw him grab at his groin area at one point...maybe a bit of OP? He doesn't seem to be kicking through the ball as well either at the moment. With regard to the game itself - felt we were very loose at times, and Brisbane weren't far off it - apart from some poor finishing on their part. As much as JJ needed to be dropped, he has to come back in for Otto up forward IMHO. Otto is just too slow, as is Tex, so the opposition are able to run off them too easily to set up scoring opportunities. I'd like to see Knight back in next week too - suspect Hampton will miss or maybe Smith. We have a hell of a lot of work to do to recapture our earlier form. McGovern is sorely missed up forward, and we do need Cheney back across half back.

I feel like I'm on crazy pills when it comes to Jenkins and Otten.

I think Otten's form has been ok the last few weeks. It is down compared to his first few weeks, when he was close to the best players each week, but still good enough to hold his place in the team.

Meanwhile Jenkins was barely sighted since he returned from injury 3 weeks ago, which led to him being dropped. However, reading this thread, it's like so many people think that 2016 regular season Jenkins will magically return if we bring him back into the team this week.

If you compare Otten and Jenkins' stats this year, Otten has Jenkins covered in almost all areas, even if you reduce Jenkins' games played by 1 to compensate for the fact he barely played against Hawthorn.

Based on averages Otten is beating Jenkins in:
Disposals
Disposal Efficiency
Tackles
Hit Outs
Contested Possessions
Contested Marks
Clearances
Goal Assists
One Percenters

Based on averages Jenkins is beating Otten:
Marks
Goals
Uncontested Possessions

People are saying Otten is too slow and not providing enough forward line pressure, yet his one percenters and tackles are much higher than Jenkins, plus he is also taking more contested marks and has more goal assists.

I think Otten's form has been ok the last few weeks. It is down compared to his first few weeks, when he was close to the best players each week, but still good enough to hold his place in the team.

Meanwhile Jenkins was barely sighted since he returned from injury 3 weeks ago, which led to him being dropped. However, reading this thread, it's like so many people think that 2016 regular season Jenkins will magically return if we bring him back into the team this week.

If you compare Otten and Jenkins' stats this year, Otten has Jenkins covered in almost all areas, even if you reduce Jenkins' games played by 1 to compensate for the fact he barely played against Hawthorn.

Disposals
Disposal Efficiency
Tackles
Hit Outs
Contested Possessions
Contested Marks
Clearances
Goal Assists
One Percenters

Marks
Goals
Uncontested Possessions

People are saying Otten is too slow and not providing enough forward line pressure, yet his one percenters and tackles are much higher than Jenkins, plus he is also taking more contested marks and has more goal assists.
JJ needs to show he's ready to compete and crash packs before he comes back in

Reckon it could take 1-4 weeks

Otto is definitely under fire when it happens but no rush just yet

Good: Debuts of some new faces. Galucci is going to be special, he has those little kicks which are deadly (Robert Harvey Style). Bit of composure and class as well. Greenwood looked dynamic and athletic and can kick the ball on the run... straight. Good signs but I'd like to see more! Please don't drop either of them Don!

Charlie back in form, he looked like he has gone up a level and was mad quick.

Bad: Brisbanes woeful goal kicking, could have been 5 goals up. Crows got lucky.

Ugly: Douglas fumbling constantly and hacking kicks out of contests. Seriously how can he keep doing that? GTFO the midfield Richard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Disposals
Disposal Efficiency
Tackles
Hit Outs
Contested Possessions
Contested Marks
Clearances
Goal Assists
One Percenters

Marks
Goals
Uncontested Possessions

Of course if you compare the games when he came back and shouldn't have, he's going to suffer big time against Otten. I think the point being made is that when he's right, he should come back, not before he's right. He should have come back via the 2's, it was madness to rush him back into the 1's after a rib injury. But when you compare his uninjured year against Otto, which is only the GWS game, then he stacks up pretty well. But I don't want him back until he's 100% proven that he's not impacted physically or mentally from that rib injury. But when he's ready, he replaces Otten in a heartbeat, without even a second thought. Otten is good depth, forward or back, but that's all he is.

They were in a training shirt for the warm-up. Once they were out there, the 90% humidity caused their guernsey to be sweat wet and they couldn't dry their hands on anything. It was quite bizarre conditions, and as Laird said, the slipperiest he had ever played in.

Of course if you compare the games when he came back and shouldn't have, he's going to suffer big time against Otten. I think the point being made is that when he's right, he should come back, not before he's right. He should have come back via the 2's, it was madness to rush him back into the 1's after a rib injury. But when you compare his uninjured year against Otto, which is only the GWS game, then he stacks up pretty well. But I don't want him back until he's 100% proven that he's not impacted physically or mentally from that rib injury. But when he's ready, he replaces Otten in a heartbeat, without even a second thought. Otten is good depth, forward or back, but that's all he is.
Except lots of posters here are calling for Jenkins to replace Otten this week. I don't see how Jenkins would have miraculously recovered to 100% fitness after 1 game in the SANFL.

Perfect summary

Saw him grab at his groin area at one point...maybe a bit of OP? He doesn't seem to be kicking through the ball as well either at the moment. With regard to the game itself - felt we were very loose at times, and Brisbane weren't far off it - apart from some poor finishing on their part. As much as JJ needed to be dropped, he has to come back in for Otto up forward IMHO. Otto is just too slow, as is Tex, so the opposition are able to run off them too easily to set up scoring opportunities. I'd like to see Knight back in next week too - suspect Hampton will miss or maybe Smith. We have a hell of a lot of work to do to recapture our earlier form. McGovern is sorely missed up forward, and we do need Cheney back across half back.

Otten being slow makes no difference from jenkins because jenkins doesnt tackle

Except lots of posters here are calling for Jenkins to replace Otten this week. I don't see how Jenkins would have miraculously recovered to 100% fitness after 1 game in the SANFL.

I didn't see the SANFL game, so have no view on that. I'm sure the coaches have finally learned their lesson and we won't see him until he's fully ready to go.

The good - Lynch with a Goal of the Year nomination for that great goal in the first quarter when we badly needed a score.
The bad - Eddie was Eddie doing only Eddie things in the second quarter so no one will remember that Lynch kicked such a great goal.

Oh and Charlie is nominated for mark of the year for the second time this season.

Laird said it was the slipperiest game he had ever played. Couldnt get the hands or ball dry. Ground was very dewy, and humidity was horrible. Might explain the fumbles?

Yep,

had a kick on the oval after the game. Very dewy and slippery. You could see it forming on the ground before the game started. Bit of humidity to go with it as well, and as well as Brisbane gettting a truck load of rain on Thursday made the ground soft as well. Thought the skills werent too bad seeing this.

Yeah, agree with this. We should not be rushing Jenkins back, 4 goals from 12 in the SANFL for him is meaningless, he should be able to do that asleep. His dropping was not because he was that much worse than Otten, he wasn't, it was about comparing him to where he should be. He's back in the SANFL to get hungry, to actually find some genuine form and confidence in his body. When that happens Jenkins will be kicking 6+ goals a game with 20+ touches. Otten has a spot until this happens, I suspect it's only another week or two, but he needs to learn to value his spot, rushing him back didn't achieve this.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back