Review Good/Bad vs North Melbourne - Rd 23

Remove this Banner Ad

Murray is better though.

Plus we have a guy we used pick 6 on McAsey.

Plus Worrell

Frampton could be an ok KPD, but he is older than these three guys. Would much prefer the younger guys get tge development time.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I think Frampton is good depth. He'd be on relatively cheap wages, dominates if demoted to SANFL and seems to actually like playing 2s. Dad a WA based Crows fan also?

New to the backline craft, and actually tries a lot harder in the defensive lines with 2nd efforts. Can only get better with a few more games back there.
Murray can be preferred, but he goes so hard into crashing packs and taking marks that during a full season he will likely knock himself out a few times, take out his own players a few times, or take out opposition and get suspended. Need to have a couple decent guys who can go back there and do the job if Murray and Butts cop injuries. After next season, if Frampton hasn't shown signs, then is an easy delist. While we need him, he is cheap to extend for a year or 2 until we have much better players in front of him.

Frampton's kicking out of defense actually seems pretty solid, I'd trust him more than Kelly or a Hartigan. Plus he gives you that backup 4th ruck just in case our luck runs out like some other teams have had with their rucks the last few years.

so obviously on the surface of things I felt like winning and losing pick #2 for pick #4 was not ideal and I'd have rather lost

but I saw this video recently (Damien Barrett should take note on what Sliding Doors actually are)

Long story short - Richmond won that game, slipped to #3 - drafted Dustin Martin - All convention has them picking Scully or Trengove had they had a pick in top 2

So you're saying we will get the next Dusty at pick 4.

I like it.

Thank you. :)

Couldnt really care about the brownlow.. always seen it as a bit of a flawed system with it being judged by the field umpires on the day. I think it should be judged independent of them and from a set group of people watching each and every game without at the same time having to umpire the bloody thing.

Your picking a team right now and you’ve got the option of selecting just one of Wines and Bont… who are you picking?..

I’m picking Bont every ******* day of the week.

There’s a fair few mids I’d also pick for my team before Wines..

Oliver
Petraccca
Neale
Kelly (gws)
Danger
Martin
And a few others… hell, I’d have Boak over Wines.

I dont see what all the current fuss over Wines is TBH… he’s an accumulator… and yes, he’s been bloody good but there’s far better mids than him running around in the game at present in my opinion.
Wines on current form, no contest..
Bontompelli was awful against the Power and he's no longer hitting the scoreboard like he was.

Western Bulldogs form is down due to the Bont and a couple of their mids not dominating like they were, Jackson Macrae the exception who always turns up.

I think Frampton is good depth. He'd be on relatively cheap wages, dominates if demoted to SANFL and seems to actually like playing 2s. Dad a WA based Crows fan also?

New to the backline craft, and actually tries a lot harder in the defensive lines with 2nd efforts. Can only get better with a few more games back there.
Murray can be preferred, but he goes so hard into crashing packs and taking marks that during a full season he will likely knock himself out a few times, take out his own players a few times, or take out opposition and get suspended. Need to have a couple decent guys who can go back there and do the job if Murray and Butts cop injuries. After next season, if Frampton hasn't shown signs, then is an easy delist. While we need him, he is cheap to extend for a year or 2 until we have much better players in front of him.

Frampton's kicking out of defense actually seems pretty solid, I'd trust him more than Kelly or a Hartigan. Plus he gives you that backup 4th ruck just in case our luck runs out like some other teams have had with their rucks the last few years.

Butts, Murray, Frampton, Worrell, McAsey. That's the order of things for me at the moment.

Surely we entertain offers for at least one of them.

Wines on current form, no contest..
Bontompelli was awful against the Power and he's no longer hitting the scoreboard like he was.

Western Bulldogs form is down due to the Bont and a couple of their mids not dominating like they were, Jackson Macrae the exception who always turns up.

Really? I was watching Macrae in the last Q against Port and he looked gassed

Last edited:
Really? I was watching Macrae in the last Q against Port and he looked gassed
Watch closer..

WESTERN BULLDOGS 4.1 5.3 9.3 10.4 (64)
PORT ADELAIDE 1.3 1.8 6.10 9.12 (66)

GOALS
Western Bulldogs:
English 2, Bontempelli, Naughton, Dunkley, Johannisen, Weightman, Vandermeer, Hunter, Treloar
Port Adelaide: Rozee 2, Ladhams 2, Boak 2, Gray 2, Wines

BEST
Western Bulldogs:
Macrae, Hunter, Daniel, Dale, B.Smith, Treloar
Port Adelaide: Boak, Wines, Gray, Lycett, Rozee, Amon

Frampton is definitely the better kick of our KPD's marginally ahead of Butts who is also quite efficient.

Last edited:
Honestly, this is complete dribble.

We played one of the youngest sides we could have put out there. And the last thing you do is put a side out deliberately to lose - FFS, how many times do people need to see how tanking ruins clubs for a decade before they realise it DOESN'T work??

This isn't the NBA, where one small difference in one draft pick can transform your team.

We're FAR better off installing a team wide culture of supporting each other and putting winning first. Play kids, absolutely - but teach them to win.
Absolutely this. The idea that a draft pick will definitely prove to be a Dangerfield and that he will save the club is silly.
Much much better to get the 22 players you’ve got to learn to win.

Deliberately losing is fu$*ing stupid. I can't stand people who whine about winning because of a draft pick. It should merely be the silver lining if you lose and finish lower not something you aspire to.
I won’t lie, I was hoping to bottom out again this year , but I would hand in my membership if we ever purposely lost a game!

I disagree. I don't know what you could genuinely take out of that game, North were horrid and that wasn't our doing. Whereas comparing to the Geelong/Melbourne/Port games they were horrible because of us.

I suspect we left the positive outcome on the table this week, which was belting the living daylights out of North.
You take out a couple of things!
1 - regardless of results, the more games we get into these kids, the better. Also taking the game on and making risks that resulted in a win is far better than losing and being in the habit of second guessing yourself. Honestly, we still have a good hand to take to the draft!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

so obviously on the surface of things I felt like winning and losing pick #2 for pick #4 was not ideal and I'd have rather lost

but I saw this video recently (Damien Barrett should take note on what Sliding Doors actually are)

Long story short - Richmond won that game, slipped to #3 - drafted Dustin Martin - All convention has them picking Scully or Trengove had they had a pick in top 2

Watched this a couple days ago but wasn't sure if it had been posted here already. It really does make you think about the overrating of some draftees.
Butts, Murray, Frampton, Worrell, McAsey. That's the order of things for me at the moment.

Surely we entertain offers for at least one of them.

I always thought Worrell could get to the wing or to Lynch's spot once his body gets stronger. Or maybe the Brodie Smith role when he slows down??? Didn't he have a bit of forward craft as a junior? Maybe a backup to Gollant and Cook around the HF lines or to Smith in the backlines? Seemed like a flexible junior to work on multiple roles. Seems to have been a bit like Sholl in that he had a pretty great first half of the season (albeit in the SANFL) but then leading into and after his crap AFL debut, just ran out of gas after not much footy last year.

At the very least we've earned ourselves some tanking insurance. If we ever get accused of the practice in the future we can say Hey, we won a Round 23 game to go from Pick 2 to Pick 4. If we really wanted to tank don't you think...

….. against the wooden spooner who, lets face it, didnt even bother turning up yesterday.
Number of disposals doesn't mean as much to me as the hurt factor of those disposals. Give me 22 disposals with genuine hurt factor over 40 without every day of the week.

Jones and McHenry are making me raise an eyebrow

In their current roles, I think they can become elite.

However, for the draft capital we used on them, I would like them into a role which can really lift the team to the next gear

Worst case scenerio, David Mackay like career. But now that they've found their feet. Could they be like Danger ad be injected intot he midfield and turn it on at another level. Probably not to those peaks, but I would like to see them given a go.
Jones and mchenry will not be mids.

If like you say, they become elite at their positions, HB/BP and HF, I'm happy spending 10 and 16 on elite at their position, regardless of the position.

Number of disposals doesn't mean as much to me as the hurt factor of those disposals. Give me 22 disposals with genuine hurt factor over 40 without every day of the week.
Exactly..

As many have mentioned.. keays gets a shitload of the ball week in week out.. and I agree..

I also agree that so does laird and to extent Sloaney too..

My question to them is.. here are the three lads that take 80% of our CB’s, they get anywhere betweeen 25- 40 possessions each nearly every week.

Yet we only won 7 out of 23 games…

Surely with these three “gun” players getting that much time as our main midfield engine and that many possessions… we’d be winning a hell of a lot more games right?…

But thats the problem.. their possessions counters might be high, “elite” some may say… but they just arent damaging enough with the ball.

And you can actually see it in games.. the times our midfield does become damaging and dangerous is when one of these three is resting forward, or on the pine, and a guy like shoenberg gets in there!.. we’ve seen it happen all ******* year!!!…

If we still have keays, laird and sloane hogging the CB’s and main midfield minutes from round 1 next year.. we’re in for another s**t year.

Our defensive lines are bloody solid.
Our run off half back and wing led by smith and seed has been solid. Seed is no.1 in the comp.
Our forward line hasnt been too bad, especially when tex was out there but it needs a decent small forward or two added in.

Its our midfield thats the issue. It just doesnt hurt oppostion teams with the ball no matter how much they get hold of it.

At the very least we've earned ourselves some tanking insurance. If we ever get accused of the practice in the future we can say Hey, we won a Round 23 game to go from Pick 2 to Pick 4. If we really wanted to tank don't you think...

You know us better than that.

"We acknowledge our performance in these games was below an acceptable standard. We will cooperate fully with the AFL and accept any sanctions they impose."

You know your youth is going well when the only thing we were praising the last 3 years was Fog and hoping he'd be a mini-roo, now we're losing track of who to praise in Jones, McHenry, Pedlar, cook, berry, Sholl, fog is a distant memory now and we don't mind him doing nothing but kicking 2 a game.

Jones and mchenry will not be mids.

If like you say, they become elite at their positions, HB/BP and HF, I'm happy spending 10 and 16 on elite at their position, regardless of the position.

McHenry I'm pretty certain is a career half-forward flanker at this point. Especially if he's starting to rack up 20 disposal games.

Jones on the other hand could certainly find his way back in the midfield rotations. We'd be mad not to try it again if he's feeling good about his game, especially as half back flank is a rather easy position to throw a developing player into.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back