Review Good the Bad and please no more Hartigan - Rd 7, 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

That's play one out of one of the Matt Clarke how to ruck playbook. Jacobs did the exact same thing.

A really weird thing seeing he actually was a good tap ruckman.

Their techniques are fairly different. Doc used to bring the taps down close to the contest as his preference - ROB actively spikes it down like he's at the net playing beach volleyball.

Interesting to see that only 18,100 were there last night.

Considering that there was 25k tickets on offer that's a really poor turnout.

I wonder if Sunday afternoon will be any better?
Maybe.

Monday night
Most kids first day back at school after holidays
People still wary about being in crowds

I know Obrien isnt a good tap ruckman, but plenty of teams dont have a good tap ruckman and they still win clearances easily.
We are just far too flat footed in the midfield so even when he does win it, we dont get clean takeaway.
Currently ROB is 18th for hit out advantage. Crows 18th... Which team have worst ruckman when crows are the worst team in the comp!

LEARN TO KICK and COMPETE IN THE AIR.
I wouldnt have a problem with every single training session for the next 3 weeks be spent on these two skills.

We competed everywhere else in the game except those two areas and its been a consistent problem for a long time.
I dont care if our forwards have to punch every contest, sick of simple marks in our attacking 50.
In previous games, there's been a lot of (IMO correct) comment that we can't judge / be too critical of some of the forwards because they haven't been seeing enough of the ball. Well, last night we had plenty of the ball going forward, and plenty of I50s almost as many / more than the Saints?). A better sample size, and I saw

1. Still crap delivery, for the most part. Hard to tell from the TV if the forwards were leading properly, but there certainly wasn't a lot of lowering the eyes going on from the players kicking in to the 50.

2. When the ball was bombed in (and you're going to get that sometimes, not every I50 will be targeted) we never seemed to have a forward running to the contest / crashing the pack / at least bringing it to ground. Too many marks - contested and uncontested - to Saints defenders.
- And I'm sorry, but when it's happening that often, you can't just blame the delivery. Even poor delivery should be met with a contest, at least some of the time.

3. Poor kicking for goal, obvs - but honestly that was the least of my worries. I don't think it's necessarily systemic.

To me, the words for our forward play were "chaotic" and "uncontested". I'd like to know what someone who was there, and not constrained by the TV viewpoint, saw.

I do like the way in which as a team we have taken our game plan right back to basics - in fact right back to grade 5 "Marks up" where if we have the ball going forward we simply sit it up high hoping someones going to take an elite hanger - faultless.

And a question for those more observant than me- has anyone ever seen M Crouch sprint or is a reasonable jog his limit?

I really wouldn’t care if we bottomed out for the next few years, something that is unfamiliar with us ever and I can stomach it But, We as a club need to be prepared that things are going to be tough and just calling for some heart and effort. 2017 seems so long ago when we the most exciting attacking team in the league to not only fall off a cliff but off the planet

This will annoy a lot of the apricot slice/knitting needle fans we have and let’s face it we have so many of them but we need to stop this "making sure nanna is happy attitude" and being the nice guys

1. Call it a rebuild, Put everyone on notice, make guys play for their career or pack their bags.
  2. Make some really tough calls. Fans aren’t going to be happy but if you love the club you will get over it
  3. Getting rid of both Crouches, Considering Trading Laird, Brown, Kelly, Seedsman and Lynch (or anyone with a tiny bit of value still left) – But don’t panic and sell them for a half-eaten chicken snitzel and some cold chips. Force Tex, Dmac and Gibbs, into Retirement
  4. Target some quality players from other clubs instead of everyone’s left overs.
  5. For the club to be honest and upfront for once. Stop hiding behind shadows thinking that everything is fine and rosy. The fish rots from the head and the board lot of problems we have in the past. Sorry Roo you were my fav player but your poisoning the club
  6. If Nicks is your man then surround him with the better assistants and a quality senior assistant. Don’t just get one of the boys cause we played for the crows and might make the fans feel good. Need better development coaches as most of our players have gone backwards in their development.
  7. Our fitness is a major issue, why? Time for Haas to go
  8. Nail the 2020 and 2021 draft. This doesn’t mean sideways, backwards, upside down trading and pushing picks back and taking a gamble that a club might slip down the ladder next year, get the best players we need NOW!!!. We have clear flaws in our list for god sake fix them, and stop this picking the nice boy from a good family BS, and pick some kids with a bit of mongrel that can tackle. Is it time for Reid to go?
  9. Clean up our skills for god sake – Bad Kicking is bad football. Why do we have Kelly and Hartigan kicking out of the backline. Recruit players who can impact a scoreboard and hit a target.
  10. Stop this slow, defensive sideways like a crab footy. Take the game on and let the kids play with freedom, take some risks. They are going to make mistakes but never die wondering.
“The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result”

sorry if this has been written by i cbf reading through... I saw hartigans mistakes lead to at least 3 goals last night. The missed tackle and half bump on Jones on the wing that led to one of their first goals. Then there was the ill stand at the back and just jump over everyone and spoil idea in the last quarter. I can't recall the other one and I'm not watching that game of footy again

tenor-com-duel-fencing-oggy-e-gif.911020

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You've got no chance of getting pick #1. You're 2 games and percentage clear of Adelaide. There is not a snowball's chance in Hell that Adelaide will win 3 of its remaining 10 games, which is what would be required to avoid the wooden spoon.

You'll just have to settle for pick #3 (noting that Ugle-Hagan is expected to go #1, with the Bulldogs matching Adelaide's bid and shuffling everyone down 1 pick in the process).
If we gain two wins on North (or Sydney or Freo), the percentages will narrow right back.

If we gain two wins on North (or Sydney or Freo), the percentages will narrow right back.
Depends on how big the wins are - we're starting from a long way behind. Our percentage is currently 55.47%, and the next worst is North (76.79%). Narrow wins won't alter our percentage by enough to make any material difference.

To put things into context, North have scored 60 more points than us, and conceded 74 less. We'd need to win 2 games by 10+ goals just to make up the percentage difference.

We're averaging 43pts per game, with a highest score of just 71pts (R1 vs Sydney) from the 7 games played to date. We've already played Freo (currently 15th) and Sydney (currently 16th), which would represent our best chances of winning (other than North). What are the odds on us winning 2 of our remaining games by 10+ goal margins, given that we've only scored 10 goals once this season?

Depends on how big the wins are - we're starting from a long way behind. Our percentage is currently 55.47%, and the next worst is North (76.79%). Narrow wins won't alter our percentage by enough to make any material difference.

To put things into context, North have scored 60 more points than us, and conceded 74 less. We'd need to win 2 games by 10+ goals just to make up the percentage difference.

We're averaging 43pts per game, with a highest score of just 71pts (R1 vs Sydney) from the 7 games played to date. We've already played Freo (currently 15th) and Sydney (currently 16th), which would represent our best chances of winning (other than North). What are the odds on us winning 2 of our remaining games by 10+ goal margins, given that we've only scored 10 goals once this season?
You haven't allowed for the other teams to get beaten up by lots. Our percentage has been low because of our big losses earlier - it actually went up by 2.5% yesterday. If we keep having narrow losses, our % will creep up.

We had our chances. We've sorted out the effort mostly, we got enough of the ball, we got the ball inside 50 (poorly) but it coincided with our better kicks having bad nights.

Jones - Needs to find a way to get involved, because when he does good things usually happen. Can't get by on 10 touches or less.

Crouch - Worst game of the season, and he was still better than Matt.

Crouch - WTF has happened to this bloke ??

Kelly - Classic Kelly game. One of few guys who run to receive a handball.... But shouldn't.

Seedsman - Waste of time.

Talia - Colours lowered a bit in the first half, didn't improve much.

Walker - Lost power in his kicks, but took a (2) really good contested grabs and finished with 3.

Mackay - I'd rather him in the side than Laird and Matt Crouch, but he's wasting a spot.

Hartigan - Holy hell that was woeful.

Brown - Average game not helped by teammates upfield.

Hamill - Dirty night, but that final handball to Keays was another glimpse.

Stengle - Got some tricks but needs to finish off much better.

McAdam - 2 horrific shanks but worked up and back and got rewarded with 2 goals. Plenty to work with.

McHenry - A lot has been said, might need a spell in the 2s but he does have a future.

Lynch - Pretty solid actually. Makes a massive difference when he hits those 45 passes.

Keays - Gets better every week, about the only guy you could say that about all year. Might have found one here

Laird - Better, but not great.

Smith - Was always getting tagged after the last 2 weeks and when you don't get tagged much, you ain't learning how to deal with one in the back half of your career.

McAsey - That 1st quarter mark typifies our season. Great play let down by a horrendous error. He's got some game, but lacks size to do it.

McPherson - Looks at home already. Glad we persisted with him.

Doedee - Not much else but ****ING outstanding. Give him whatever he wants.

ROB - Battled against 2 rucks around the ground and beat them both. But something isn't right inside the centre square. Not all on him though.

You haven't allowed for the other teams to get beaten up by lots. Our percentage has been low because of our big losses earlier - it actually went up by 2.5% yesterday. If we keep having narrow losses, our % will creep up.
We've already played most of the teams which are likely to provide us with narrow margins, and Brisbane's inaccuracy prevented that game from blowing out too badly. Expect the margins to blow out more, not less, as we face the better sides.

We've already played most of the teams which are likely to provide us with narrow margins, and Brisbane's inaccuracy prevented that game from blowing out too badly. Expect the margins to blow out more, not less, as we face the better sides.
North, Hawthorn, Richmond away from home, Melbourne and even the Giants on a bad day are all close margins potentially.

Al depends who decides to do what during the condensed fixture. Teams will rest players against us.

Will just have to watch the teams around us - remaining games are:

Nor: por bris col gee gcs carl -t8- mel wc freo adl
Syd: por bris col gee stk carl -t8- mel gws haw freo
Adl: gee ess col rich carl -t8- gws wb haw mel nor

North and Sydney look to have similar but tougher remaining games than us.

If we win 3 games this year it will be a miracle. Same rubbish coaching through all three zones and keep playing hacks like Mackay and Hartigan, we will be lucky to win 1. The smart thing to do would be playing the kids as much as possible, even last years draft picks. Get games into them and get as many picks in the top 10 this year and try and snag a couple more for next year.
Winning a lot of games now is stupid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back