Club Focus GWS Giants 2021 - Brander, Callaghan, Aleer, Fahey

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

It really isn't. at his best he is one of the best in the game,

That’s fine. I don’t think he’s shown it across his career.

Bombers landed a bargain in Stringer. He has shown he can't lead them (or the Dogs) in finals. Now is the time to take his peak value and run, cash in so to speak. Honestly tell me why not?

Get a first for him from a side challenging in 2022 (Brisbane, Melbourne, Port etc), add it to the growing stockpile of Dodo picks that are between 18 and 24.

Go start a Jake Stringer thread, we can discuss trades for him all you like.

He's not our best player, nor our heart and soul. Kelly is our best player and Kennedy is our heart and soul.

To be honest, I blame the club more than I blame Toby. We've let Mumford get away with with his idiotic behaviour and dumb acts for years without consequences, so it's no surprise that Toby makes dumb mistakes with role models like Mumford around. We've only got ourselves to blame.

Do you think the Giants should consider trading him?

We don’t want nor need to give up on a gun and one who we believe is in me of the best in the comp.

would you be happy for the Saints to get rid of a star, who wants to
stay, to get another star coming in for
Coin?
I don't get it myself, Why would you trade a known star for a very good young talent, who may not be as good as the one you trade out

Go start a Jake Stringer thread, we can discuss trades for him all you like.
It's in the wash up sub-board... we discussed trades most of the year until he re-signed:

This is a very different take on trying to raid a club of their talent I’ll give you that.

I just think he has significant flaws that have cost the Giants at critical times and will continue to. It’s nothing that earth-shattering. Clubs decide they can’t trust players all the time and look to trade them. Stringer, Fevola, Heath Shaw, Barry Hall… it’s a long list of players who are traded for reasons other than their ability.

His talent is such that other clubs would be keen on him, making a trade conversation interesting.

What’s clear here is some people rate him as an absolute champion. I think he’s a very good player, but not in that class, personally.

I wouldn’t want Essendon to trade for him because we’re not near challenging and I wouldn’t want to give up the multiple picks it’d take to get him. But I’m interested if supporters of other clubs would be keen on pursuing him, and if so what they’d be happy giving up for him. Basically nobody seems to want to answer that question, that’s fine.

This is a very different take on trying to raid a club of their talent I’ll give you that.
I think it's probably one of those areas where you benefit a bit from the 'Vicco media bias' and being in a non-traditional AFL state. I don't suppose Toby is much news in Sydney? If he did what he does and played for a Victorian club or in an AFL state he'd be front page news most weeks, and you'd have a Brendan Fevola type situation of the club wanting to salvage what it can and move on.

Cynical side of me says if he's had 30k in fines over his career, in an Essendon jumper it would've been 30 weeks suspended 🤣 Don't think he'd be worth it to us if he's only playing every second game, especially not when you'd be asking the world for him. You'd definitely ask the world for him... contracted, top place in the BnF etc. Probably double it with McCartney and Dodoro in the same room too (not sure if you know the full history between those two but it's not pretty).

Given you're not exactly desperate for picks and don't have the club reputation damage angle to consider, I don't think there's all that much to be gained from GWS's perspective.

Do you think the Giants should consider trading him?
Everybody has a price, but I think it's in our best interests to hold onto every player who wants to be at our club, and, Toby clearly does. He's shown loyalty to us, we should show him the same loyalty, through good and bad.

I think it's probably one of those areas where you benefit a bit from the 'Vicco media bias' and being in a non-traditional AFL state. I don't suppose Toby is much news in Sydney? If he did what he does and played for a Victorian club or in an AFL state he'd be front page news most weeks, and you'd have a Brendan Fevola type situation of the club wanting to salvage what it can and move on.

Cynical side of me says if he's had 30k in fines over his career, in an Essendon jumper it would've been 30 weeks suspended 🤣 Don't think he'd be worth it to us if he's only playing every second game, especially not when you'd be asking the world for him. You'd definitely ask the world for him... contracted, top place in the BnF etc. Probably double it with McCartney and Dodoro in the same room too (not sure if you know the full history between those two but it's not pretty).

Given you're not exactly desperate for picks and don't have the club reputation damage angle to consider, I don't think there's all that much to be gained from GWS's perspective.
If he was playing for a Vic side the media would cover it up.
Such as the Dangers, Hawkins etc elbows.

I just think he has significant flaws that have cost the Giants at critical times and will continue to. It’s nothing that earth-shattering. Clubs decide they can’t trust players all the time and look to trade them. Stringer, Fevola, Heath Shaw, Barry Hall… it’s a long list of players who are traded for reasons other than their ability.

His talent is such that other clubs would be keen on him, making a trade conversation interesting.

What’s clear here is some people rate him as an absolute champion. I think he’s a very good player, but not in that class, personally.

I wouldn’t want Essendon to trade for him because we’re not near challenging and I wouldn’t want to give up the multiple picks it’d take to get him. But I’m interested if supporters of other clubs would be keen on pursuing him, and if so what they’d be happy giving up for him. Basically nobody seems to want to answer that question, that’s fine.

And I completely disagree. So thanks for the concern. We got this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We don’t want nor need to give up on a gun and one who we believe is in me of the best in the comp.

would you be happy for the Saints to get rid of a star, who wants to
stay, to get another star coming in for
Coin?
Depends on where you believe the list sits, who is the star being turfed, who is coming in and would that new player increase the chance of premiership success in the immediate and intermediate term.
None of which really applies to us as we only have one star, and maybe one or two more with that potential.
But this is not a thread about St Kilda.
I can understand your reluctance.
Simply asking about an alternative that might be attractive for some.

For the purpose of the discussion point I'll play along.
2 X top 10 picks.

He bleeds orange and grey, has been one of the pillars of building this club from nothing. Of course we would love it if he was a cleanskin with an unblemished tribunal record along with his match winning ability but it's kind of what makes him so revered. I think he enjoys that opposition supporters hate him. The emotion that he showed on the final siren last week summed it all up, imagine him playing that out to a packed MCG every week, but he has never waivered in his loyalty to the Giants. If I started a thread on a 27yo James Hird or Nathan Buckley asking their trade value the price would probably be the same. Make your first offer your best offer, because it still won't be enough.

This’ll be interesting… wonder what we’d get for him from the same club that gave us two first for Shiel?

Depends on where you believe the list sits, who is the star being turfed, who is coming in and would that new player increase the chance of premiership success in the immediate and intermediate term.
None of which really applies to us as we only have one star, and maybe one or two more with that potential.
But this is not a thread about St Kilda.
I can understand your reluctance.
Simply asking about an alternative that might be attractive for some.

It kinda is a thread about St Kilda. And every other club.

If he came up, would you be keen for the Saints to make a play for him?

In a trade, what would you be happy with them giving up?

It kinda is a thread about St Kilda. And every other club.

If he came up, would you be keen for the Saints to make a play for him?

In a trade, what would you be happy with them giving up?
No. The Saints clearly wouldn’t want their club to have him. Nor would any club in the AFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back