Hardwick - How long until he's replaced as Richmond's coach

Who is coach of the year so far in 2017?

• Don Pyke

Votes: 60 19.5%
  • Brendon Bolton

Votes: 58 18.8%
  • John Worsfold

Votes: 35 11.4%
  • Ross Lyon

Votes: 9 2.9%
  • Leon Cameron

Votes: 6 1.9%
  • Simon Goodwin

Votes: 16 5.2%
  • Other (name in comments)

Votes: 20 6.5%
  • Damien Hardwick

Votes: 104 33.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, and if Collingwood and west coast kick straight when they were dominating their games against Richmond and Melbourne don't get reduced to 19 men when absolutely dominating Richmond in Anzac eve , Richmond would be sitting 3-7
Against collingwood? Final score 14.15 to 11.14? I calculate that as tigers 29 scoring shots to 25. Lucky we didn't kick straight as we should have won by more:)

Richmond are miles off, you've got an average midfield with no depth, 1 good back and a semi functional forward line.

By my reckoning, Essendon's loss was among the worst in Round 10.

Average age differences (season average in brackets):

24.50 GWS -2.44 (24.98)
26.94 WC (26.87)

24.79 Ri -0.91 (24.62)
25.70 Es (25.73)

25.48 Ad -0.11 (25.20)
25.59 Fr (25.39)

25.15 WB +0.34 (25.02)
24.81 St (25.13)

25.88 Ge +0.57 (26.09)
25.31 PA (25.07)

26.22 Ha +1.45 (26.67)
24.77 Sy (24.70)

25.00 Me +1.51 (24.40)
23.49 GC (23.92)

25.65 NM +1.92 (25.38)
23.73 Ca (24.54)

25.05 Co +2.16 (25.09)
22.89 Br (23.65)

Better to be building up than cutting back, which is what's on the cards for Essendon.

By my reckoning, Essendon's loss was among the worst in Round 10.

Average age differences (season average in brackets):

24.50 GWS -2.44 (24.98)
26.94 WC (26.87)

24.79 Ri -0.91 (24.62)
25.70 Es (25.73)

25.48 Ad -0.11 (25.20)
25.59 Fr (25.39)

25.15 WB +0.34 (25.02)
24.81 St (25.13)

25.88 Ge +0.57 (26.09)
25.31 PA (25.07)

26.22 Ha +1.45 (26.67)
24.77 Sy (24.70)

25.00 Me +1.51 (24.40)
23.49 GC (23.92)

25.65 NM +1.92 (25.38)
23.73 Ca (24.54)

25.05 Co +2.16 (25.09)
22.89 Br (23.65)

Better to be building up than cutting back, which is what's on the cards for Essendon.

Essendon are only phasing out a few older players past their prime like Watson, Stanton and Kelly. Goddard will be the only significant loss since he has been in good form this year. But those other older players can mostly be covered.We have a lot more improvement than the Tigers too.

The Bombers have a good core of players between 18-27: Hurley, Heppell, Merrett, McGrath, Daniher, Fantasia, Tippa, Zaharakis, Parish, Ambrose with other promising kids developing like Francis, Laverde, Langford, Mckenna etc. I am biased but I am confident that we will overtake the Tigers before too long.

Essendon are only phasing out a few older players past their prime like Watson, Stanton and Kelly. Goddard will be the only significant loss since he has been in good form this year. But those other older players can mostly be covered.We have a lot more improvement than the Tigers too.

The Bombers have a good core of players between 18-27: Hurley, Heppell, Merrett, McGrath, Daniher, Fantasia, Tippa, Zaharakis, Parish, Ambrose with other promising kids developing like Francis, Laverde, Langford, Mckenna etc. I am biased but I am confident that we will overtake the Tigers before too long.

You make it sound as though this season's been written off. Doubt Essendon would've kept Kelly on if they weren't serious about pushing for the finals.

Six consecutive losses to Richmond hasn't happened since the mid 70's.

You make it sound as though this season's been written off. Doubt Essendon would've kept Kelly on if they weren't serious about pushing for the finals.

Six consecutive losses to Richmond hasn't happened since the mid 70's.

Kelly was kept as he is simply an asset to the club in terms of leadership and helping with the development of our young defenders. We also lost Hibberd and didn't have a lot of ready replacements at half back.

Our 2017 season always had big question marks on it. There were wide ranging opinions on how the Bombers would go this year, with the unknown being how the suspended players would come back after missing a year. It's now apparent that midfielders like Watson, Stanton, Hocking and Myers are struggling for form. Our midfield is not good enough for us to be a finals threat, so yes I am personally writing off this season.
Worsfold is only just starting to work out his best 22. A side like Richmond is a lot more settled and your core group of players has played together a lot more than our core. This is something that Dodoro has recently said is vital for successful teams.

I am pretty sure the EFC isn't too worried about losing streaks to Richmond. I mean are Richmond more concerned with ending the Geelong losing streak (double in length compared to Essendon v Tigers) or winning finals?

Kelly was kept as he is simply an asset to the club in terms of leadership and helping with the development of our young defenders. We also lost Hibberd and didn't have a lot of ready replacements at half back.

Our 2017 season always had big question marks on it. There were wide ranging opinions on how the Bombers would go this year, with the unknown being how the suspended players would come back after missing a year. It's now apparent that midfielders like Watson, Stanton, Hocking and Myers are struggling for form. Our midfield is not good enough for us to be a finals threat, so yes I am personally writing off this season.
Worsfold is only just starting to work out his best 22. A side like Richmond is a lot more settled and your core group of players has played together a lot more than our core. This is something that Dodoro has recently said is vital for successful teams.

I am pretty sure the EFC isn't too worried about losing streaks to Richmond. I mean are Richmond more concerned with ending the Geelong losing streak (double in length compared to Essendon v Tigers) or winning finals?

Agree that Essendon's prospects this year were difficult to ascertain, and they're still not clear. Consecutive wins over opponents in the top three says their best footy is pretty decent, but their inconsistency would be a big concern to the coaches.

Not sure how Richmond is "more settled". We've debuted 11 players since Round 14 last year (Essendon 7 in the same period). I get a bit miffed when people claim credit for their club doing X, but don't accord Richmond the same consideration. We hear how Carlton is young, Melbourne is young, the Swans are young, and I still see occasional posts claiming Richmond needs a cleanout and a rebuild - while we're in the midst of a sea-change.

Number of games to u23's this year is R 67, E 56. But games to over 30's are E 36, R 0. Goddard as you say is going well at 32, you'd think Kelly (33) will retire after this year and Watson (32) may walk away. But how much top-level footy is left in Stanton (31), Baguley (30), Hocking (30), Leuenberger (almost 29), Howlett (28), Bird (28), Myers (going on 28)? That's a lot of experience to replace over the next 2-3 years.

Last edited:
Agree that Essendon's prospects this year were difficult to ascertain, and they're still not clear. Consecutive wins over opponents in the top three says their best footy is pretty decent, but their inconsistency would be a big concern to the coaches.

Not sure how Richmond is "more settled". We've debuted 11 players since Round 14 last year (Essendon 7 in the same period). I get a bit miffed when people claim credit for their club doing X, but don't accord Richmond the same consideration. We hear how Carlton is young, Melbourne is young, the Swans are young, and I still see occasional posts claiming Richmond needs a cleanout and a rebuild - while we're in the midst of a sea-change.

Number of games to u23's this year is R 67, E 56. But games to over 30's are E 36, R 0. Goddard as you say is going well at 32, you'd think Kelly (33) will retire after this year and Watson (32) may walk away. But how much top-level footy is left in Stanton (31), Baguley (30), Hocking (30), Leuenberger (almost 29), Howlett (28), Bird (28), Myers (going on 28)? That's a lot of experience to replace over the next 2-3 years.
Yep, people underestimate how difficult it is to replace mature experienced players, especially ones of quality such as Goddard, Watson, Kelly etc.

We still have some average players to replace in the 22, we have some holes to fill such as a competent CHF who doesn't knock himself out every second game, but our 22 is still very very young.

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

Yeah, and if Collingwood and west coast kick straight when they were dominating their games against Richmond and Melbourne don't get reduced to 19 men when absolutely dominating Richmond in Anzac eve , Richmond would be sitting 3-7

Rich 14.15 99
Coll 11.14 80

:huh:

Your best 22 hasn't had less continuity just because you have debuted a few more players.
We have debuted 8 in 2016+17 and had fifteen new players brought into the club due to the suspensions. Richmond have debuted 10 and brought in five new players. One of those has already been delisted (Marcon). But because of the drug saga our team has obviously faced a lot more upheaval. I don't see how you could argue that?

As for the U23s I would of thought the quality of the players is far more important than the total number of games played by them. My numbers are 69 vs 77: Daniher(10) Fantasia(10) Merrett(10) Parish(10) McGrath(9) McKenna(6) Gleeson(5) Langford(4) Stewart(3) Francis(2). Richmond: Rioli(10) Castagna(10) Mcintosh(9) Short(9) Nankervis(9) Butler(8) Vlastuin(6) Menadue(4) Markov(4) Lennon(2) Soldo(2) Bolton(2) C.Ellis(2). I think most neutrals would comfortably rate our group higher.

I am not worried at all about losing players like Stanton, Baguley, Hocking, Leuenberger, Howlett, Myers or Bird. The only clear best 22 players there are Leunberger and Baguley anyways. They are nowhere near as important as your players in that age bracket: Grigg(29) Houli(29) Riewoldt(29) Edwards(29) Rance(28). We only really need to replace Goddard, Kelly and Watson in the next couple of seasons from our best 22. Some others could possibly drop off though.

Your best 22 hasn't had less continuity just because you have debuted a few more players.
We have debuted 8 in 2016+17 and had fifteen new players brought into the club due to the suspensions. Richmond have debuted 10 and brought in five new players. One of those has already been delisted (Marcon). But because of the drug saga our team has obviously faced a lot more upheaval. I don't see how you could argue that?

As for the U23s I would of thought the quality of the players is far more important than the total number of games played by them. My numbers are 69 vs 77: Daniher(10) Fantasia(10) Merrett(10) Parish(10) McGrath(9) McKenna(6) Gleeson(5) Langford(4) Stewart(3) Francis(2). Richmond: Rioli(10) Castagna(10) Mcintosh(9) Short(9) Nankervis(9) Butler(8) Vlastuin(6) Menadue(4) Markov(4) Lennon(2) Soldo(2) Bolton(2) C.Ellis(2). I think most neutrals would comfortably rate our group higher.

I am not worried at all about losing players like Stanton, Baguley, Hocking, Leuenberger, Howlett, Myers or Bird. The only clear best 22 players there are Leunberger and Baguley anyways. They are nowhere near as important as your players in that age bracket: Grigg(29) Houli(29) Riewoldt(29) Edwards(29) Rance(28). We only really need to replace Goddard, Kelly and Watson in the next couple of seasons from our best 22. Some others could possibly drop off though.

I've said elsewhere that Essendon's youngsters are better; not many would disagree. It comes with the territory of finishing 11th or worse in 8 of the last 12 seasons. But my point was that Richmond is undergoing at least as much change as Essendon.

NB my ages are measured on match day, not from the start of the year, e.g. Daniher & Stewart both 23 on March 4 were excluded.

Riewoldt 28.6, Rance 27.6. Along with Cotchin and Martin they are largely carrying the side. If those four are taken out, things look pretty grim; no top-liner has walked through the door since Martin in 2009. But they all have good footy left in them; the oldest is 3.5 years younger than Goddard.

As said above there is a lot of work ahead. Nankervis at 22 looks a great get at this stage. Need more trades like it, and to hit a couple of draft jackpots. We're due.

Think most would agree we're doing better than expected. Not sure if we're an ordinary side being coached well, or a decent side being coached properly.

Last edited:
Then the same can be said for Hardwick to an extent, he got us to finals we were leading in two of them, was it the coach or the players that lost it at the end of the day, Im no massive fan of Hardwicks last few years but still he did take us back to the finals, something many couldn't do.

And it also needs to be remembered that Hardwick has taken the Tigers to the finals in an era of compromised drafts.
A number of previous Tiger coaches didn't have these drafting restrictions, and were unable to deliver what Hardwick has.

The last few games are showing the tigers to be a very good side that could cause a few surprises in finals

Written by Wayne Carey

Right now, Damien Hardwick is the coach of the year.

More than any team, Richmond has exceeded the expectations just about everyone had for them during the pre-season. For the Tigers to sit in the top-four after 12 rounds is quite remarkable, and it's Hardwick who deserves credit for transforming the way they play.

Whether you barrack for the Tigers or not, they're now a team that's enjoyable to watch. While they made the finals three years in a row by playing a dour brand of football, Hardwick identified that this would only take the club so far.

Now, they're taking the game on. This wouldn't have been possible without the backing of the board, who've given Hardwick the freedom to focus on what's important: getting things right.

The pressure on players and coaches because of the saturation of what we do in the media has a profound impact. But because of the two-year contract extension Hardwick was given at the start of last season and the further backing he received after last year's review of the football department, the pressure was lifted.

It's allowed Hardwick to avoid the kind of scrutiny Nathan Buckley has been facing, amid constant questions about his tenure and whether he'll survive. With Collingwood currently undergoing a review of their own, they should look no further than what has been achieved at Punt Road in just a few short months.

We saw when Geelong backed Mark Thompson after the Cats had a full-scale review in 2006 that it ultimately paid dividends with a premiership. I can see many similarities with Richmond.

Going on the body of work they've produced this year, there's no doubt they can play finals. Not only that, the Tigers are capable of winning one. Because of the evenness of the competition, the sky is the limit for them and the club should be ambitious.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/richmo...-the-coach-of-the-season-20170615-gwrlen.html

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Worsfold.

From easy beats to challenging for a finals spot. What a turn around he's masterminded.
As much as I'm sure this is tongue in cheek, he's done a really good job of getting a bunch on of blokes who haven't played for a year and were utterly shot until their last game pre-suspension, to just play competitive football, let alone be finals-contenders.

I'm actually going to say Rocket.

Taken what was barely a team with huge off-field issues and a superstar wanting out and rejigged them superbly. Some growing pains early but are now playing hard, competitive footy that is worrying any opposition.

It's probably easier to make arguments against any coach being COTY at this point, than it is to make arguments for them. Pyke has to be the leader though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back