Review Hawthorn v Cats - match sim - Thursday 23rd Feb, GMHBA

Remove this Banner Ad

I know we’ve been starve of footy but surely there’s a few premature overreactions happening here. At the end of the day, all we want out of this is zero injuries.
I’d happily lose both praccys by 20 goals and lose no others before round 1 than win both and be short handed against the scum.

If there was one thing the team should learn from today it is to never let Ferg Greene do a short pass to Kosi in a "better position". It's never a better position when Kosi is kicking.
I actually liked that.

Wouldn’t want to see it happen in a big game but it felt to me like he was trying to bring his teammate into the game who was struggling a little bit.

Anyway sorry for the intrusion

I know we’ve been starve of footy but surely there’s a few premature overreactions happening here. At the end of the day, all we want out of this is zero injuries.
I’d happily lose both praccys by 20 goals and lose no others before round 1 than win both and be short handed against the scum.
Hallelujah! Praise the Lord! Somebody is talking sense!

Hawks after pre-season write ups - push for top 8, sky is the limit.
After a scratch match with reigning premiers - it's going to be a long season. Search on YouTube for Reid highlights.

On VOG-L09 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Harley Reid by about round 8 in the AFL will be talked up more than Jason Horne Francis was and that is saying something .

Ward, Butler and Cmac all bloody impressive.
Weddle, Husthwaite, Bmac, OSul, Bennetts showed plenty.
Day had some great moments.
DGB flew the flag bloody admirably.

The future looks great tbh. Big learning year for us and there will be some painful and frustrating moments, but gee it's going to be enjoyable!

No gifting games this year, very happy with that stance.

Absolutely.

However, the individual efforts of those experienced players who remain can, and should, be up for debate.

We are at ground zero, and the kids are going to be alright. It falls on the shoulders of those experienced players who remain to take the initiative.

I didn’t see as much today as I’d hoped would pop up.

Not the end of the world, but against the Pies, I hope those who have 40 - 200 games AFL experience might deliver a fair bit more than we saw today.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The probables played the game style were trying to work on attacking and using the corridor but were exposed going forward and especially on the rebound where our key skill of using a 2nd defender was exploited by not slowing them down. Regardless we didn't go defensive and kept at the game plan which is what I liked to see. Build a brand, learn from our mistakes and we learnt from the reigning premiers. And we will learn against Collingwood as well. But the boys showed glimpses but the defensive pressure really lacked. I thought Day looked good in the guts, Reeves and meek looked like a good combo.

Greene leads up beautifully and should've kicked 2 but passed to Kozi in a slightly better position. I think Moore proved he can turn it on when he wants. Impey and Wingard did well. Ward showed more in the 2nd half.

Looking at a bit of the 2nd game I was happy with Brockman and Bmac. The entire team took the game on which is important to have a unison game style.

We have to be honest with our selves were an in experienced bottom 4 team who has been training against our selves so playing Geelong and Collingwood is a great learning experience when the points don't matter. I am just glad we didn't try stem the flow and kept trying at what we're working at because when it clicks and when we have the right personal it's an exciting brand of footy

Absolutely.

However, the individual efforts of those experienced players who remain can, and should, be up for debate.

We are at ground zero, and the kids are going to be alright. It falls on the shoulders of those experienced players who remain to take the initiative.

I didn’t see as much today as I’d hoped.

Against the Pies, we need our established players to step up and provide more structure and predictability in our ball movement than what we saw today.

Hallelujah! Praise the Lord! Somebody is talking sense!

How did we feel after the first half praccy vs Collingwood last season? And what about after the second half?

What was apparent though was the gulf in class and Geelong being a much more organised unit. That's to be expected from the reigning premiers vs a bottom four candidate though.

At least Ward looked really good. Day was impressive in the middle. Impey looked like he was back to his best. DGB and Finn were both good and MacDonald looked classy. Wingard was flashy and Greene looked like he could become an option for us.

Last edited:
The probables played the game style were trying to work on attacking and using the corridor but were exposed going forward and especially on the rebound where our key skill of using a 2nd defender was exploited by not slowing them down. Regardless we didn't go defensive and kept at the game plan which is what I liked to see. Build a brand, learn from our mistakes and we learnt from the reigning premiers. And we will learn against Collingwood as well. But the boys showed glimpses but the defensive pressure really lacked. I thought Day looked good in the guts, Reeves and meek looked like a good combo.

Greene leads up beautifully and should've kicked 2 but passed to Kozi in a slightly better position. I think Moore proved he can turn it on when he wants. Impey and Wingard did well. Ward showed more in the 2nd half.

Looking at a bit of the 2nd game I was happy with Brockman and Bmac. The entire team took the game on which is important to have a unison game style.

We have to be honest with our selves were an in experienced bottom 4 team who has been training against our selves so playing Geelong and Collingwood is a great learning experience when the points don't matter. I am just glad we didn't try stem the flow and kept trying at what we're working at because when it clicks and when we have the right personal it's an exciting brand of footy
Agree, we are not going to get things right straight away and we need to keep persisting and improve over time.

You could argue our focus was to work on attack and not defence which makes sense. The only concerning part was just the skills but I saw plenty of positives.

Ball movement will be a focus and jai is a genuine bull, going to be a very fun year other then the umpires

I tell you what, I think Bailey MacDonald could well feature in our next premiership side. Given that we are overstocked at halfback and on the wings, he might take a few years to break through like Dylan Moore, but he possesses all the necessary traits to be a successful player. I can just imagine him going on a solo run from halfback to the 50-metre line and kicking us the winner in the 2028 Grand Final against Geelong.
Bookmarked!

My biggest disappointment was we weren't allowed the opportunity to seize the initiative from the start - folks are saying the Reeves/Meek combination looks good - personally I found it one dimensional, and this had everything to do with the Umpires inability to perform a proper bounce so that all ruckmen were dragged down to nullifying each other and trying to palm, leading to congestion. It took away all their tricks - hell, we may as well kept Pittonet if that's the plan.

The match was very ho-humm and dare I say it, bruise free, with only a handful of mids really having a crack, however they can't be excused either as they hold as much blame for delivery into the forward line and Kosi as undoubtedly Kosi is copping. We had a lot of I50's but there was no process or perceived structure to them, only to see them roll over their heads to a pretty lazy but pretty smart Geelong who dined out on Joe the Gooses. DGB should have stood Cameron.

My highlights - Finn McGuiness, Will Day, Josh Bennets and Jack O'Sullivan (whom I am already convinced will be a 200 gamer).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back