History of Centre Bounce - REMOVE THE SECOND CIRCLE!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Bob_vic

Club Legend
Feb 13, 2001
Melbourne, Victoria, Aust
History / Future of the Centre Bounce - REMOVE THE SECOND CIRCLE!!!

Just been doing a bit of research of the Centre Bounce.

The VFA introduced the bounce in 1887, along with a number of other uniform measures. Before that, the umpires threw the ball up. Even before that, the loser of the toss had first kick.

Right up until 1980, ANY player or players could contest a centre bounce. Therefore, the straightness of the bounce was of no importance, because, most of the time, the players would play one-on-one, so an offline bounce would still result in a contest. Even these days, an offline bounce not contested by the ruck, in the majority of circurmstances, results in a contest between two or more opposing players.

Get one thing straight, I don't think the bounce was EVER intended to be so only the ruckmen had first contest for the ball every single time play was restarted. The bounce was never intended to be a "basketball-style" tip-off. By reading past coaching manuals, an offline bounce would then be contested by the followers. This makes for a more interesting contest, because as the coaching manuals say, the players have to think of other possible circumstances, and the manuals have a number of tactics and positions to counter the uncertainty of the bounce.

These days, the players and coaches want to too easy. They want one plan, the ball going straight up, the ruckman contesting and hitting it to the followers. When there's on offline bounce, suddenly, it f*cks up their one plan.

Anyway, the change in the laws haven't helped either.

At the start of the 80s, they introduced the centre line, meaning that only ONE player from either side of the line could contest the ball at a centre bounce. That meant, unless the umpires called "play on" on a really bad bounce, the ball could be contested by any number of players from either side. The only difference being, if the ball was in an accepteable margin of accuracy to be contested by one player of opposing teams from either side of the line, that was still ok.

Then, in 2002, the rules were changed because the ruckmen wanted greater CERTAINTY in regards to which ONE player they were contesting against, (a nomination of the ruckman), because coaches were starting to put two potential ruckmen on their side of the line, to counter an offline bounce. In my opinion, this makes more interesting tactics, but the rule-makers decided against it, pressured by whinging AFL coaches.

In bringing in this rule, it then put more pressure on the the umpire to bounce the ball straighter, because if the one nominated player can't reasonably (I mean, the ruckman hasn't stood so far away from the the expected drop of the ball) reach the ball, the umpire is left with no choice to call "play on", so the followers can contest the ball.

Even with the rules like that, it still gets back toe basic premise that the followers contest on offline bounce. It is very rare that one team gets a clear advantage, unless the bounce was a compete shocker.

Now, this year, they've introduced the 10 mere second circle. The rule was introducted supposedly to stop injuries to the ruckmen. The two opposing ruckmen now have to start inside the second circle. By bringing in that rule, there is more pressure than ever for the umpire to bounce the ball straight, because no other player is allowed within that second circle before the bounce. Now, if the ball is only slightly offline, the umpire has to call "play on" or else it result in an unfair free kick to the opposition is the follower then goes up for the contest. Also, the second circle makes it harder for the follower to get to the ball, because he has to start further away from the drop of the ball. Therefore, virtually the ball has to be dead straight, or else it makes for an unfair contest. That's what some of the coaches are saying.

What we should get back to (and basically the rule still) is:

If the ball is straight, the ball is contested by the ruckmen.
If the ball is offline, the ball contested by anybody, because in the majority of circumstances, the fall of the ball still results in a contest between two or more opposing players.

Rarely, does the ball go straight to one player (where the bounce is a compete shocker, the umpire should recall the bounce. Even though the laws don't allow that, the laws don't say the umpire can't do it either.)

Getting back to what I originally said, I don't think the bounce was EVER intended to be so only the ruckmen had first contest for the ball every single time play was restarted. The bounce was never intended to be a "basketball-style" tip-off. If it was meant to be like that, there would be ABSOLUTELY NO REASON, for the bounce.

The second circle should be abolished immediately, or else, the whole philosophy behind the bounce goes out the window and becomes unfair.

KEEP THE BOUNCE, REMOVE THE SECOND CIRCLE.

MEMO TO COACHES: HAVE MORE THAN MORE THAN ONE PLAN FOR YOUR RUCKMEN AND FOLLOWERS.

USE YOUR BRAINS TO THINK AND CREATE!!!!!

Bob

Thanks. Just done that. Also sent to AFL.

A decision needs to be made:

To stay with tradition and have more interesting start to play where EITHER the ruckmen or the followers can contest for first possession of the ball,

or,

Go to a standardised "basketball-style" tip-off where ONLY the ruckment contest for first possession of the ball, EVERY SINGLE TIME.

Personally, I think the later is boring and uninteresting, but that's just my opinion.

The whole world's not going to cave in whichever way the AFL decide to go in the future.

I say have the bounce ALL the time or not at all. If not at all, the bounce can be used as a "tradition" at the very start of the match.

Bob

Historically, ruckmen were in the 190-195cm range, with ruck-rovers 180-190cm. And yes, they used to get in the ruckman's way, jump as well, do all sorts of interferance (by today's rules).

In the past few years, Freo tried for a while to have 2 ruckmen (Clem Michael and Bandy I remember) in the middle and have either or both go for the tap. Both were fairly agile, so weren't a huge liability on the ground either. I think Rehn/Darcy and McKernon/Burton also double teamed at times. So the AFL brought in the 1 nominated ruckman rule.

Anyway, I reckon they should keep the circle, have at least 1 umpire who's a decent bouncer in each game, use him to bounce at the beginning of each quarter and then throw it up for the rest of the game. Simple, keeps the "tradition" of the starting bounce, and you only have 4 at the most to complain about, and none with seconds on the clock!

Umpire-bashing as old as football
By Barry Richardson
May 25, 2003
The Age

[snip]

Bouncing the ball? Not a problem really, they just seemed to bounce it and take a leisurely step back rather than retreating backwards like a startled yabby. A bad bounce was, well, a bad bounce. It just meant that one of the other players had a go at it rather than the ruckman. That wasn't so bad, it just added to what is the glorious unpredictability of our game.

[snip]

Ten years ago, we went to three umpires and, at the risk of being branded a dinosaur, it has never really worked. Herding cats is easier than producing uniform decisions, uniform bounces and uniform philosophy.

Bob

I'm not a big fan of the second circle from my team's ruckman results, but it has achieved something that needed to be fixed and that was the surge in posterior cruciate liagament damage to ruckmen. If you want to scrape the second circle what is you solution to reducing PCL injuries??

May be one way is to increase the diameter of the circle by 5 metres, so each ruckman has another 2.5m run up. I have noticed that Brogan and Keating have been seriously disadvantage by the rule change.

Another good suggestion that any rule change or interpretation change must be oversee by say a panel of 3 ex ruckman. I don't know about you guys but of all the dumb illogical free kicks paid the worst would have to be ruck contest infringements the umpires give. I don't know where they get them from and there is no consistency during a game yet a round or season of AFL footy.

bob_vic, do the pre 1980 rules apply to bounces other than the centre bounce? can anyone contest a bounce that is around the ground or does it still have to be the two 'designated' ruckmen? could they just apply the rules they use at stoppages for the centre bounce - most of the knee injuries have occurred at the centre bounce (i think).
also, what was the centre circle for (i mean the small one.)? is this a space the ruckmen can't stand so the ump has room to bounce the ball?

D-N-R said:
bob_vic, do the pre 1980 rules apply to bounces other than the centre bounce? can anyone contest a bounce that is around the ground or does it still have to be the two 'designated' ruckmen? could they just apply the rules they use at stoppages for the centre bounce - most of the knee injuries have occurred at the centre bounce (i think).
also, what was the centre circle for (i mean the small one.)? is this a space the ruckmen can't stand so the ump has room to bounce the ball?

1. Anyone has always been and still can contest a field bounce or boundary throw-in.

2. No-one has ever been allowed in the centre circle before the bounce. It's always been and still is a free kick.

Bob

Johnson#26 said:
Thanks Bob. Maybe you should send this to 3AW's sports today, as they were wondering about the history of the bounce.
Someone from ABC radio read it as they made a direct quote from this thread at half time in tonights game.

Interesting post. And thanks for the info.

The second circle doesn't mean that only the ruckman can contest. If the ball goes out of the circle, or to one side, then it can be contested by anyone. Remember, the second circle was brought in only to stop the big guys from clashing knees and causing ligament injuries and causing our best ruckmen to be out of the game.

I believe the smaller circle should be dispensed with as it serves no purpose at all.

gadj1976 said:
Interesting post. And thanks for the info.

The second circle doesn't mean that only the ruckman can contest. If the ball goes out of the circle, or to one side, then it can be contested by anyone. Remember, the second circle was brought in only to stop the big guys from clashing knees and causing ligament injuries and causing our best ruckmen to be out of the game.

I believe the smaller circle should be dispensed with as it serves no purpose at all.

The centre circle gives the umpire his own space to bounce...

Bob

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back