How can we improve atmospheres in the AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

Aussie Rules is about the unrelenting action on the field.

Supporters have their eyes on the field.

The World's game.

(World's greatest game)

I am a soccer fan but The World's game is better than The World game imho.

Only soccer was invented in Europe and had a greater chance to spread around the World where Aussie Rules was invented in a remote island away from the populous.

Asia usually follows Europe so would have a blind eye to anything happening down here.

I watched Ronaldo play at the G and everyone got so bored they started making paper planes and flew em from the stands.

Going to the Brazil,Argentina game.

Hopefully they have a crack but soccer needs chants otherwise the warts of the sport grow through.

When you get bored,your body naturally builds up anxiety and that is where the chanting comes in,it is a natural reaction.

EPL is the closest to entertainment,ALeague needs to approach that quality,Australians just don't like heing second best.

Unless the quality of football improves and dickheads go to games for a fight,the sport of aleague will die off.

We are a small country in regards to population,that is the only thing holding us back.

If Australia had a population of 70 mill just say,we would probably have 3 world cups on the shelf and have one of the premier soccer leagues in the World,it's not because Europe is better than us,it is fundamentally because we haven't the power that comes with money.

But I really don't worry about that when we play the greatest sport on the Earth,The World's game,Australian Rules Football.

Last edited:

Soccer has a lot of game time where very little is happening and the crowds have traditionally filled that void with singing, dancing... setting off flares. Well you get the point. Cricket is a bit the same, particularly with the Barmy Army. The atmosphere is set by the crowd because a lot of the time the sport is a bit of a side show, more background music. Soccer atmosphere not set by the organisers it's completely from the fans.

Basketball is something that sets its own atmosphere and should be more closely considered. NBA and even our own NBL competition have so much going on. Music, dancers, performers, loud noises, smoke machines etc. It all creates a party atmosphere. The Big Bash League has certainly taken a leaf out of American sports such as Basketball.

AFL is difficult because in the big matches it's loud and there's a lot of cheering. It's a sport where there is always something going on. Always something to cheer or clap for. The fans are there more to watch the sport and less to absorb the atmosphere and sideshows.

....Though there was a game at Princes park many years ago where the music was left on during the gameplay and it was fantastic. I felt, as a kid anyway, that it really added to the atmosphere and was really enjoyable. Eventually the music was shut down to the disappointed groans of the fans. Now music and noise would not work at a big AFL game, it may actually subtract from actual atmosphere...

What I wouldn't mind seeing experimented with is an NBL style in-game entertainment regime in AFLW games. I know you aren't going to please everyone because some won't like the music or the noise or the Americanisation of the game but I think if it adds to the game for the majority and the kids then that's a massive win.

AFLW games have the right size crowds to really pump up and add to the atmosphere with music and noise and all that jazz you get at an NBL game. The kids love it. The AFL should try it and see how it goes. Really create that party atmosphere, get more kids and families to go and make it a different product to the men's game, which I see as being the key to it's lasting success.

I don't think there is a whole heap that needs to be added to the AFL for atmosphere, perhaps a bit of music during the breaks. But anything that can add to the experience of going to the footy is a good thing.

This happend today....
Barcelona lost the first leg 4-0 and needed to win by 5 in the second leg to progress to the next round.
They were winning 3-1 at the 87th minute and loosing 5-3 overall. They needed to score three more goals in about 5 minutes, They did, this is the crowd reaction after the winning goal....
Incredible.

I watched Ronaldo play at the G and everyone got so bored they started making paper planes and flew em from the stands.

Going to the Brazil,Argentina game.

Hopefully they have a crack but soccer needs chants otherwise the warts of the sport grow through.

When you get bored,your body naturally builds up anxiety and that is where the chanting comes in,it is a natural reaction.

EPL is the closest to entertainment,ALeague needs to approach that quality,Australians just don't like heing second best.

Unless the quality of football improves and dickheads go to games for a fight,the sport of aleague will die off.

We are a small country in regards to population,that is the only thing holding us back.

If Australia had a population of 70 mill just say,we would probably have 3 world cups on the shelf and have one of the premier soccer leagues in the World,it's not because Europe is better than us,it is fundamentally because we haven't the power that comes with money.

But I really don't worry about that when we play the greatest sport on the Earth,The World's game,Australian Rules Football.

i pity the fools who go to these off-season exhibition matches expecting a competitive match of wonderful skill and absolute feats of human physiology. you know, because a meaningless off-season exhibition match in the Aussie winter in front of a mostly curious audience is going to be that circled match on all these players calendars as the must-win match of the entire season. never mind the other 50-60 matches they'll play for the year in domestic leagues and cups, continental comps, and international qualifiers and tournaments.

Atmosphere in euro leagues is great because the supporters have a real emotional interest in the outcome, just like we do here with aussie rules. Disregard the singing in the home ends of euro leagues and you'll actually hear the rest of the crowd reacting to the play-by-play, just like we do here with australian rules football. Take an aussie rules game to NZ, China, Europe and the US and you'll hear crickets around the ground too.

i pity the fools who go to these off-season exhibition matches expecting a competitive match of wonderful skill and absolute feats of human physiology. you know, because a meaningless off-season exhibition match in the Aussie winter in front of a mostly curious audience is going to be that circled match on all these players calendars as the must-win match of the entire season. never mind the other 50-60 matches they'll play for the year in domestic leagues and cups, continental comps, and international qualifiers and tournaments.

Atmosphere in euro leagues is great because the supporters have a real emotional interest in the outcome, just like we do here with aussie rules. Disregard the singing in the home ends of euro leagues and you'll actually hear the rest of the crowd reacting to the play-by-play, just like we do here with australian rules football. Take an aussie rules game to NZ, China, Europe and the US and you'll hear crickets around the ground too.

Agreed, I went to a Barcelona match at camp nou, albeit against a lower team they flogged, and the atmosphere reminded me of an AFL game....and actually got pretty ho hum after they went 2 (and then 3, 4 and 5 goals up)

The Catalan's don't seem to do the "active supporter" thing either but if you witness the conclusion of this mornings match, you can see what happens when there is a late goal in a high stakes game in front of a large passionate crowd even without having sung their way through the previous 90 minutes. Obviously winning a round 2 game is not as high stakes as a champions league knock out, but the roar when Grundy kicked a goal to beat richmond last season was pretty enormous...

I do think that the nature of the game better facilitates the background singing and chanting though

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its simple, if you want singing, go to a concert, if you want the best action packed game in the world that caters for all body types and styles, go to an AFL game.

All body types? I think you mean the rugby codes and American football. AFL footballers are predominantly lean.

What shits me about all this our sport is better or harder that this sport s**t is that most folks who make the claims are armchair supporters. Every sport has its own physiological requirements and every one appreciates certain aspects of a particular sport. Aussie rules fans love the contested pressure nature of the game with the uncleanliness of the loose ball a major feature. On the flip side, rugby and soccer supporters view this as a ridiculous aspect more akin to poor handling skills. Misunderstanding from all sides of the fence. Personally, I appreciate the inherent requirements and characteristics of all of them.

This happend today....
Barcelona lost the first leg 4-0 and needed to win by 5 in the second leg to progress to the next round.
They were winning 3-1 at the 87th minute and loosing 5-3 overall. They needed to score three more goals in about 5 minutes, They did, this is the crowd reaction after the winning goal....
Incredible.

That, to me, is what atmosphere in sport is. Atmosphere is the natural feeling of a game when you arrive at the stadium, the excitement that builds before the match and the roar of a crowd jumping up and screaming after a score. Soccer fans will tell you the atmosphere at the game is incredible because they sing ballads together and shout obscenities, but I don't see that as adding to the atmosphere any more than a Dance Cam does at a Basketball game. You can't force atmosphere or add to it, it just happens.

All body types? I think you mean the rugby codes and American football. AFL footballers are predominantly lean.

What shits me about all this our sport is better or harder that this sport s**t is that most folks who make the claims are armchair supporters. Every sport has its own physiological requirements and every one appreciates certain aspects of a particular sport. Aussie rules fans love the contested pressure nature of the game with the uncleanliness of the loose ball a major feature. On the flip side, rugby and soccer supporters view this as a ridiculous aspect more akin to poor handling skills. Misunderstanding from all sides of the fence. Personally, I appreciate the inherent requirements and characteristics of all of them.

Short, tall, stocky, thin, athletic, not as fast but stronger and can hold ground in a ruck contest or marking contest. Thats what i'm talking about. Being leaner in body fat is a result of the professional nature of the game and the running required, but thats not body type.

Can we lock this s**t stain of a thread already? Or do AFL fans have to wander over to the soccer forum and start a thread on How do we make soccer more exciting?

It would be an interesting experiment but I would suspect you would have less luck of such a thread surviving even on the Bigfooty's soccer forum than this troll thread has here

It would be an interesting experiment but I would suspect you would have less luck of such a thread surviving even on the Bigfooty's soccer forum than this troll thread has here
Troll thread? Lol.
I've had at least five posters back up my statements. It seems like nowadays, any thread that generates discussion is known as a "troll thread".

Remove this Banner Ad

Back