How can we improve atmospheres in the AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

Troll thread? Lol.
I've had at least five posters back up my statements. It seems like nowadays, any thread that generates discussion is known as a "troll thread".

Nah, when someone with the user name "the City Boyz" starts a thread on a football forum claiming the atmosphere is better at the A League than the AFL then whether you want to call it a "troll" it is a very soccer centric thread bound to insult the locals with a comparison of a plastic third rate soccer league with the AFL

If someone was to start a "How do we make soccer more exciting?" thread on the soccer forum and then proceed to make a comparison between, say, the knock out stages of the world cup finals and the AFL perhaps about the lack of goals in the former it would no doubt be treated like a troll, whether or not it was one

Can we lock this s**t stain of a thread already? Or do AFL fans have to wander over to the soccer forum and start a thread on How do we make soccer more exciting?

This post only perpetuates the idea that I railed against earlier - the notion that you can only follow one code. This idea that the OPs username means he's only a "soccer" fan and can't possibly also love footy is childish and pathetic.

Grow up. No one made you read the thread. If you don't have anything constructive to say, go read another thread. There's plenty here.

This post only perpetuates the idea that I railed against earlier - the notion that you can only follow one code. This idea that the OPs username means he's only a "soccer" fan and can't possibly also love footy is childish and pathetic.

Grow up. No one made you read the thread. If you don't have anything constructive to say, go read another thread. There's plenty here.
Im allowed an opinion so sod off buddy. The atmosphere at AFL games is just great the way it is. We dont need soccer fans speaking for the majority of us.

I love both sports but i think its wrong to compare. Both sports are completely different in how we express our passion and create an atmosphere. Football is all about barracking and celebrating seen with when the crowd yells "BALL" or celebrating a goal. In soccer its more chanting and urging their team on to score that important goal. Probably whats noticeable is that the atmosphere isn't going to be great when Melbourne are playing GWS on the MCG with 75,000 empty seats where as a packed Adelaide oval the atmospheres always electric.

Last edited:
This old chestnut. Aussie rules is a unique game, with unique supporters unlike any game in the world.
Why would anyone want to tweak it's supporting culture to represent basketball, soccer or any other game.
All native footy fans don't go to a game and think ...oh s**t we need to improve our atmosphere.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I love soccer. But the chanting comes because there are big stretches where nothing much is happening. In AFL, you can't chant because you will miss a goal. It's the same with NBA, NFL. These sports don't chant like soccer because there is always something happening. To be honest, some of the atmosphere at soccer games is just hostile and we wouldn't want that in our game anyway. I don't want a situation where I can't sit with my gf because she is wearing a different colored jersey.

theres always something happening in the NFL? it takes them 3+ hours to play an hour of actual game time.

Aussie Rules has a lot of stretches where nothing happens. kicks for goal, ball ups and some "build-up" play can take as long as soccer's. think that is the biggest myth about why Aussie Rules doesnt have any singing. Aussie Rules personally(outside the fact that Aus/NZ dont seem to do it) would have more to do with the size of the ground than anything action related on the field. cricket doesnt have much chanting outside the Barmy Army and that game has huge stretches of nothing. but it does share an equally large field

Chanting and singing are just something which has never really took off in Australia/NZ. no idea why. that is not to say we dont have crowd interaction(BALLLL!!!!) but compare a Europe basketball game to one here and elsewhere(or certain greek tennis fans) and you can hear the difference.

Let the cheer squads use insulting (against the opposition - without crossing the line) run throughs like they used to a few decades ago.
These days the AFL approved feel good run throughs are boring and predictable.
The Dog's have done this to an extent, but they are a bit cliche.

Far out there a lot of insecure posters in this thread.

Troll thread?

It's impossible to make a comparison or have a discussion about the pros and cons of these sports without getting some posters foaming at the mouth and taking it personally. If you ever stroll onto a Football forum like FourFourTwo you'd see it goes both ways though.

Prior to this thread I'd only ever seen you posting as an opposition supporter in the Victory thread and you've always come across as genuinely curious and respectful of others. You're about as far away from being a troll as it gets on this site mate.

Some sensitive people in here.

Atmosphere at A League games, at least the ones involving Victory, is fantastic. Sitting in the South end, chanting during the game, chanting at the opposition supporters, good fun.

Not the same as ANZAC Day or a prelim, but two run of the mill games? I'd back A League for atmosphere.

From a Collingwood perspective, I think crap like Kiss Cam, Dancers, pumping crowd noise through the PA etc is really cheapening the experience.

I watched Ronaldo play at the G and everyone got so bored they started making paper planes and flew em from the stands

It was a glorified training match with zero pressure. Hardly representative of club's & their players at their peaks.

It's been proven that if you keep the crowd seated they will be less vocal and more sedated than fans standing. This is because fans can then only communicate with a few people in each direction as you can't move, where as standing it is easy to communicate with 30 people around you without any trouble.

Troll thread? Lol.
I've had at least five posters back up my statements. It seems like nowadays, any thread that generates discussion is known as a "troll thread".
The title of the thread is "how can we improve atmosphere's in the AFL"

That doesn't nessicarly mean that they are bad, it just can mean how can we make it better. If people like Noobpie really hate soccer that much than you can at leased say how the AFL's atmosphere can get better because in life nothing is absolutely perfect. I doubt this is a thread at all to have a dig at AFL, but more a thread to point out how AFL can keep getting better. Soccer on the other hand keeps hitting new high's and keeps rising the graph up from where it was 15 years ago.

How can we make AFL, the sport that so many Australian's have loved for over 100 years, keep going up, up, up

Remove this Banner Ad

Back