Discussion How do we beat Hawthorn on Saturday?

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think either side can take anything out of the round 16 clash.

Both sides played a terrible half of footy. Hawthorn's terrible half was worse than St Kilda's.

Some bizarre coaching moves from Clarko had most hawk fans scratching their heads.

This will be a completely different game!

If St Kilda let us have 55 inside fifties like they did Collingwood then you'd expect us to kick approximately 20 goals. Collingwood managed only 9 because they're forward line didn't fire. Cloke was crook, John An

Saints had 43 inside 50s on saturday night and made the most of them.

Collingwood only laid 26 tackles for the game! Hawks last match we laid 54, which you'll note is more than double. So I wouldn't expect the saints to have such clean, uncontested entry into their forward line.

Saints did what they had to to win on the weekend, but they were far from impressive. They'll need to play a LOT better in the prelim to win. Having said that I do expect them to play alot better in the prelim.

Good luck everyone - let's just hope it's a good game with no injuries!

I don't think either side can take anything out of the round 16 clash.

Both sides played a terrible half of footy. Hawthorn's terrible half was worse than St Kilda's.

Some bizarre coaching moves from Clarko had most hawk fans scratching their heads.

This will be a completely different game!

If St Kilda let us have 55 inside fifties like they did Collingwood then you'd expect us to kick approximately 20 goals. Collingwood managed only 9 because they're forward line didn't fire. Cloke was crook, John An

Collingwood only laid 26 tackles for the game! Hawks last match we laid 54, which you'll note is more than double. So I wouldn't expect the saints to have such clean, uncontested entry into their forward line.

Saints did what they had to to win on the weekend, but they were far from impressive. They'll need to play a LOT better in the prelim to win. Having said that I do expect them to play alot better in the prelim.

Very true on all counts. Well said.

well certainly it not raining will go a long way to helping us. i really lose a fair bit of confidence about the result when it rains especially due to our recent performance. cmonn dry conditions. ne1 know what the weather will be like?

Fact is, we can take as much out of beating you in Round 16 of the home-and-away season, as the Woods could take out of having beaten us twice in over the home-and-away season. It means stuff-all in this final.

I think you guys will be happy if buddy tries to play maxy deep like he did last time instead of getting on his bike. Max suceeded in getting inside Franklins head I reckon and he looked determined to beat him with strength one out instead of going on a lead.

Collingwood's inside 50's flattered them as at least 10 entries were long bombs from the back of the centre square. Any defence loves these sorts of entries.

It's no secret that Hawthorn's style of play is to restrict forward 50 entries. Once a team can get into their forward 50 and place pressure on the Hawk backline, scores usually result.

Good call on the bottom point.

In Round 16 we played insipid footy in the first half, similar to the Hawks match at the MCG last year.
We had no confidence, which meant we had no run.
Hawthorn was looking for an easy win, maybe they were in the middle of a tough couple of weeks on the training track.
They were also missing opportunities to put us out of the game. But given we were playing so badly it didn't seem to worry them.
Then after half time, led by Roo and Ball and Hayes in the middle, we won the contested ball and smashed them all over the ground.
The improvement between our intensity and importantly confidence from the first half was miraculous.
It shocked the Hawks and they couldn't keep up.

I think you've hit the nail on the head. You won the ball out of the middle at will and from there did what you liked.

In my view, there are three things that will be different, from a Hawthorn perspective, this time;
1. Morton and Tuck won't be playing. Crawford and Dew, our two most experienced players will.
2. Hodge will be playing in the backline, floating in front of Riewoldt/Kozi, stopping any run on that happened last time.
3. At least 3 of Brown, Guerra, Lewis, Bateman and Rioli will have over 15 touches. In round 16, the aforementioned players all touched the football on less than 15 occassions. I don't know how often this has happened, but it will never happen again.

okay, since you bring that up, i DID miss people: also knock out crawford, dew, brown, guerra, lewis, bateman, and rioli before they make an impact on the game.

this is a saints forum so we can talk up OUR game plans however we like, as long as i'm not really rude...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I say, Bring in Gehrig...start him at FF. Tell he to knock out Croad + Brown. Then move him into the midfield to knock out Mitchell and Sewell. Then put him at FB to knock out Roughead, Williams and Franklin!

sounds good to me :thumbsu: anyone else? :eek:

round 16 hawthorn v st kilda - buddy v maxie - buddy = 7 kicks, 2 handballs 3 goals.?? really tore him up ay

Is it ok if i bring up buddy's stats after the game?

So how will the Saints beat Hawthorn?

Not being sarcastic, but there generally is the previous game as either relevant or irrelevant, where the former is the way to win and the latter the way to lose. Surely if it is irrelevant, the Saints have other ways of constructing a win?

3. At least 3 of Brown, Guerra, Lewis, Bateman and Rioli will have over 15 touches. In round 16, the aforementioned players all touched the football on less than 15 occassions. I don't know how often this has happened, but it will never happen again.

Lewis and Bateman probably. Not sure anyone else in that list will definitely get more than 15 touches.

Yeah, that was one game! You're talking about Maxie destroying Buddy anyday. If you seriously think that then your dreaming....

and besides i never mentioned maxie will tear buddy up anyday cos no doubt buddy will have his days im just mentioning that game because i kept reading how theres no1 to play on buddy and mentioning that maxie will be no match and he only did well on him cos he stayed close to goal.

i know ppl would take 3 goals outa their full forward anyday but if buddy was myne i would expect at least 4 and more then 9 possies. i just think it was a great effort that game and should be recognised as a good game by maxie and not a bad game by franklin.

You'd be silly to put anyone other than Max on him. To be fair to Buddy, the ball came to him about 2 times for the entire second half in that game because your midfield absolutely obliterated us.

It will be a ripper game as you guys are back to playing top 4 football and we've booted off fragile youngsters like Morton and Tuck and Lewis and Sewell are back to their best. I hope what gets us over the line is a 4 quarter hard-at-the-footy effort from our midfield. If Luke Ball doesn't get up, we could really gain some ascendancy there

Good luck all the same guys. Hope it's a ripper match. The finals have been pretty boring so far

round 16 hawthorn v st kilda - buddy v maxie - buddy = 7 kicks, 2 handballs 3 goals.?? really tore him up ay
The crows were saying the same thing about Kris Massie before last years elim final.. You all saw what happened to him on the day..
Dont think because he played 1 good game on him he will do it all the time..
You keep worrying about Buddy, watch Williams and Roughead have a blinder..

The crows were saying the same thing about Kris Massie before last years elim final.. You all saw what happened to him on the day..
Dont think because he played 1 good game on him he will do it all the time..
You keep worrying about Buddy, watch Williams and Roughead have a blinder..

(see previous post) i wasnt saying he will towel buddy up if he plays on him again on the w.e was just referring to ppl not recognising his effort last time around and thinking he has no chance on the w.e. may as well throw maxy on him again see if he can do the job again imo.

(see previous post) i wasnt saying he will towel buddy up if he plays on him again on the w.e was just referring to ppl not recognising his effort last time around and thinking he has no chance on the w.e. may as well throw maxy on him again see if he can do the job again imo.

Max did a great job on him last time, buddy has even said that he has been his toughest opponent so far in his career. Pretty big praise from someone who gets the best backman every week :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back