Preview Round 11, 2023: St.Kilda v Hawthorn - Marvel Stadium, Saturday 27th May, 1:45PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 56 88.9%
  • Hawks

Votes: 7 11.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I said I’d be filthy if seb was in and I kind’ve am but it’s obviously not the end of the world. Im sure he will go well this week if it’s all going our way and he’ll continue to hold his spot as long as we keep mostly winning.

It’s clearly a missed opportunity though to have at least one of our young mids getting senior experience playing the same role probably to better effect.

Freo showed the rest of the comp how to develop an elite young midfield, they pumped 50 games into Brayshaw and Cerra playing pure mid and then pumped 50 more into Serong as soon as they could. They’ve all developed at slightly different rates but all three are going extremely well. Do those three have more talent than Bytel and windhager? Probably but I think our chance to find out is slipping.

It’s surprising that RtB who was in charge of that freo rebuild has not taken a similar approach.

I can see Ross and our other midfielders filling their boots against the inexperienced Hawks midfield so Windhager and Bytel probably won't get a look in anytime soon but at least Owens should be back after the bye and he will hopefully get more midfield time to inject some much needed youth in there.

I feel for Membrey but two key forwards is enough. I don’t even think he’ll be the sub.

I don't think Membrey would make a very good sub and I can't see the point of making him our sub anyway, better to give him another week off.

I would prefer Sharman was the sub, a good chance for him to come on in the 2nd half when he can hopefully get on the end of some easy goals.

Not fussed about Bytel or Windy. Jacky Steven had to bang the damn door down before he was given a game worked well for his development.

I don't necessarily see that as a good point. Could have given him more opportunity than say some of our 'role' players. And who knows what could have been.

Tom Green was leading average touches a game stat until last week - well over 30 PG. We kept him to 29 and knocked him down to 4th on the list. Cogs too was over 30 pg and we kept him to 26 and dragged him down to 8th in the AFL. It might have been coincidental though.

Whitfield was their highest disposal getter and played off HBF. Most of their players got lower fantasy scores than they have been averaging this year too.

I watched Sydney last year and noticed that when they played against good midfields they would have blockers and holders to free up others. Chad Warner could run free from stoppage because the other mids would block space and they'd take turns. Perhaps it was more like that sort of role than an actual tag.
Good post. None of us know what goes on in the inner sanctum. It's notoriously a year of exploration and RtB has had years to compile gameplan and gameday tricks up his sleeve. It may well be he went to Seb with an idea a couple of weeks ago and said 'you'll need to sacrifice your game but we're giving you x role to explore y idea because you have the experience and maturity to implement it'.

I've already posted pretty much this already but people calling for Seb Ross to be dropped are really wasting their time posting about it. He's pretty much a lock as he always has been for years. Like it or not.

It's a tough break for Windy and Bytel but Ross is just seen as part of the furniture. Barring injury he's not going anywhere. Can't say I agree with the policy especially with Windy available but that's life.
With about half the season left I feel a lot of these guys will get there chance , injuries take a huge toll - if anyone of Steele , Crouch , Ross , Clark breakdown they will get there chance.

I cant believe Seb Ross is still in the side, Lyon is consistent I suppose?

Im also surprised we didnt bring Membrey straight back, but perhaps his form prior to his concussion was the indicator. When Paton was subbed onto the wing last week, I thought he played quite well. Wood as a HFF gives us similiar marking capacities of Membrey plus Wood is much better at ground level and a better user. I still would have included Membrey though.

I find the selection policy of no Membrey and Ross being still in the side as double standards by the club. I understand RTB has certain markers for players but surely even he can see how poor Ross has been and how much our midfield is struggling?

RTB has never rated VFL form and it seems nothing has changed!

Ross will be a perfect matchup for Newcombe I reckon. Nash will go to Steele, and Crouch will go toe to toe with Worpel.

???

1685026540074.png

That has of be the oddest group of Emergencies picked ever for us. One ruck and three marking players. So no real emergency cover for three quarters of the team.

Why no Billings or Windy?

Our AFL game starts at 1.45PM and the VFL one at 5.10 PM. So apart from whomever the Sub is (Sharman I would guess) the others all could play for Sandy. Though after concussion probably best to rest Membrey. Both AFL and VFL Teams have a bye the week after.

1027/5SATCoburgRSEA Park5:10pm
113/6BYEBYEBYEBYEBYE

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've got a feeling it'll be everyone's favourite Cordy or Campbell as the sub. They've named 7 players at 194cm+ in their lineup, we've named 4 (plus Battle listed at 193cm).

Personally I'd name Sharman, but RtB still isn't returning my calls.

Ah, you need to post that on Saintsational where RTB will read it. ;)

The thing is RtB specifically named Seb in the presser as someone who stood up.

Honestly I'm baffled by it, Congilio, Green and Kelly all had decent enough days at the office, Whitfield a lot of touches as well so if it was a negating role I can't see who he negated. But RtB obviously saw some things we did not.

We watch the game, they look for specific efforts and moments to execute the game plan that we have no idea about and probably don't even know happened. Ross lives and dies by that stuff, so he must be seeing something.

Without obviously knowing the level of concussion Timmy has been going through, still would seem to make sense to give him another week off, looked a pretty nasty hit. We don't really need him badly for this game so surely they don't play him as the sub. Sharman looks to be the one for that spot if there's to be no late changes imo.

Hawks are so tall, they picked a really tall, heavy team. Hope they like to run.
Where is that hawks poster who was here this week saying how tall we are, scary tall infact, so scary tall they needed a blankie?

Next minute...

Pretty much no change at the moment.
No Windy in sucks.
Also I get Wood at HF but I really think he's best used on the wing using that elite running, getting forward when he can as a tall, strong mark, and rolling back as an extra defender - running his man off his legs.
I reckon hes carrying an injury it makes no sense.

Not sure why anyone is surprised by the team.

Paton in means Sinclair will probably play as a full time mid.

Windy clearly needs to tidy up a few things and a consistent run in the VFL will do him the world of good - so sticking with Ross is a given.

Don't get the love for Bytel - never shown he is anything more than a one paced mid of which we have our fair share.

Sub will be Sharman - defence, wing or forward.

As to the rest - if one of the defenders may be a bit sore so they'd bring in Cordy.

Campbell is always named as a Marshall replacement

Membrey is a break glass in emergency situation. Doubt he'll get a run.

Hawks are so tall, they picked a really tall, heavy team. Hope they like to run.

Nash at 198cm is probably their second best runner and will play a negating role through the midfield. Massive tank.

Meek 203cm and Reeves 210cm suggest that they want to maul Marshall in the ruck and stretch our defence in the air. Meek is building nicely and has been feisty up forward.

Lewis at 199cm is a genuine key position threat and in great touch too. Howard and Wilkie will need to be at their very best to stop him.

Frost 194cm has express pace and Blanck 196cm will probably two time King while also standing Caminiti. The Hammer Will really need to work hard to make one of them accountable and Frost will be looking to run off wherever possible.

This Hawks outfit will be looking to play good honest hard running football, and this really presents as a danger game. I hope we can get on top in the middle early.

Not fussed about Bytel or Windy. Jacky Steven had to bang the damn door down before he was given a game worked well for his development.

Only one Saints NGA academy player on the field this weekend.

It's a long, pretty arduous year in the bigtime, there's no reason to rush anything or anyone from our point of view at the moment. I have no doubt Windy will get games after the bye, and I dare say by the end of the season he'll be ensconced in the best 22.

patience-young.gif

Given Batchelor hasn't been particularly impressed with Windy in his writeups, it's probably not really surprising he's not getting picked. Clearly they're expecting more from him.
I get the impression that they want to work on his defensive game off the ball (as opposed to tagging someone)

Lewis at 199cm is a genuine key position threat and in great touch too. Howard and Wilkie will need to be at their very best to stop him.

Big units like him always kick goals against us (Hawkins, Walker, Dixon, etc) so imo they'll concentrate on getting him separation then send everything through him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back