Preview Round 11, 2023: St.Kilda v Hawthorn - Marvel Stadium, Saturday 27th May, 1:45PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 56 88.9%
  • Hawks

Votes: 7 11.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've already posted pretty much this already but people calling for Seb Ross to be dropped are really wasting their time posting about it. He's pretty much a lock as he always has been for years. Like it or not.

It's a tough break for Windy and Bytel but Ross is just seen as part of the furniture. Barring injury he's not going anywhere. Can't say I agree with the policy especially with Windy available but that's life.

So we bring in Paton to replace Mitch but we have a choice of
Campbell, Members, Sharman or Cordy to choose as sub? Am I reading that email wrong?

Interesting that people suggested that Paton was training with the wings and mids preseason and he's named in the midfield. Probably nothing other than putting names on a board wherever they fall but could be something in it.

Thursday night melts this year have been sadly lacking….

Where the **** are Windy and Bytel?
How the hell does Ross keep his damn spot?
Cordy an emergency? Ya got to be bloody kidding?

(Just reminding you all how it’s done…..) 🤣

I've already posted pretty much this already but people calling for Seb Ross to be dropped are really wasting their time posting about it. He's pretty much a lock as he always has been for years. Like it or not.

It's a tough break for Windy and Bytel but Ross is just seen as part of the furniture. Barring injury he's not going anywhere. Can't say I agree with the policy especially with Windy available but that's life.
Doubt he continues to be a lock if he keeps playing like he has over the last 3 or 4 weeks

Keep playing that same midfield and we won’t be winning a flag, plain and simple.

Only hope we have is by some younger players taking the bulls by the horn and demanding their spot in there.

W
Pretty much no change at the moment.
No Windy in sucks.
Also I get Wood at HF but I really think he's best used on the wing using that elite running, getting forward when he can as a tall, strong mark, and rolling back as an extra defender - running his man off his legs.
Wood will play wing..they rarely line up as selected!

Last edited:
If Ross wants to play it safe at selection week after week, cool. We’re in a good position on the ladder so can’t complain. I don’t buy the year of exploration thing though.
Of course it’s a year of exploration…the boss needs to work out which players will take us forward & which will be traded or delisted.

If Ross wants to play it safe at selection week after week, cool. We’re in a good position on the ladder so can’t complain. I don’t buy the year of exploration thing though.
Well it probably was - until it wasn’t, due to our surprising results.

Still, Owens, Caminiti, Stocker, Byrnes and the Pou have all been given a good go. Windy and Bytel really the only two youngsters who haven’t had a consistent run as yet. Obviously not counting Keeler, Hotton etc..

Players in the leadership group rarely get dropped but we do have to keep one eye on the future with Ross 30 & Crouch 30 in January.

The thing is RtB specifically named Seb in the presser as someone who stood up.

Honestly I'm baffled by it, Congilio, Green and Kelly all had decent enough days at the office, Whitfield a lot of touches as well so if it was a negating role I can't see who he negated. But RtB obviously saw some things we did not.

Tom Green was leading average touches a game stat until last week - well over 30 PG. We kept him to 29 and knocked him down to 4th on the list. Cogs too was over 30 pg and we kept him to 26 and dragged him down to 8th in the AFL. It might have been coincidental though.

Whitfield was their highest disposal getter and played off HBF. Most of their players got lower fantasy scores than they have been averaging this year too.

I watched Sydney last year and noticed that when they played against good midfields they would have blockers and holders to free up others. Chad Warner could run free from stoppage because the other mids would block space and they'd take turns. Perhaps it was more like that sort of role than an actual tag.

Thursday night melts this year have been sadly lacking….

Where the **** are Windy and Bytel?
How the hell does Ross keep his damn spot?
Cordy an emergency? Ya got to be bloody kidding?

(Just reminding you all how it’s done…..) 🤣
You forgot the bit about burning your membership and giving the trainee receptionist a piece of your mind.

Well it probably was - until it wasn’t, due to our surprising results.

Still, Owens, Caminiti, Stocker, Byrnes and the Pou have all been given a good go. Windy and Bytel really the only two youngsters who haven’t had a consistent run as yet. Obviously not counting Keeler, Hotton etc..

Tough crowd, we are winning games playing kids and having multiple first choice players missing. You'd think we'd be happy.

Sydney lose a few talls and they are shithouse all of a sudden.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Players in the leadership group rarely get dropped but we do have to keep one eye on the future with Ross 30 & Crouch 30 in January.
I'm surprised we're not being more proactive in the engine room bearing in mind the ages of everyone in the senior team. Not pressing right now but we really don't want to still be trying to get the likes of Bytel and Windy to their first 50 games when we have to throw them into the midfield full time.

I wonder why the average football pundit think they know more about team selection than a coach and his team of assistants. I gathered it’s because they view the game thru a 65 or 75 inch TV and then check the statistics to see who gathered the most disposals to see who was the best.

AFL has progressed beyond the number of disposals being important these days. Coaches now rely on their weekly game plans, preparation and structures. On game day it’s important for players to run their patterns, guard the ground and players around stoppages, control the corridor, provide assistant to team mates when required, etc.

I‘m thankful the St Kilda team selection is in the great hands of Ross and his assistants, and not the weekend pundits.

Go Saints.

Yeah he’s fit but needs a lot of work in the gym!
Yep just read the break down of the vfl game, glad he's getting a run. Would love to see him and van es get going and knocking on the door. Keelers highlight package was nuts. Very much looking forward to what hotton can show. Like all, disappointed bytel and windy aren't getting a look. Hopefully they just string together a couple more solid performances and post bye we'll see some exploration in the middle. I'll add billings to the list as well

I said I’d be filthy if seb was in and I kind’ve am but it’s obviously not the end of the world. Im sure he will go well this week if it’s all going our way and he’ll continue to hold his spot as long as we keep mostly winning.

It’s clearly a missed opportunity though to have at least one of our young mids getting senior experience playing the same role probably to better effect.

Freo showed the rest of the comp how to develop an elite young midfield, they pumped 50 games into Brayshaw and Cerra playing pure mid and then pumped 50 more into Serong as soon as they could. They’ve all developed at slightly different rates but all three are going extremely well. Do those three have more talent than Bytel and windhager? Probably but I think our chance to find out is slipping.

It’s surprising that RtB who was in charge of that freo rebuild has not taken a similar approach.

I'm surprised we're not being more proactive in the engine room bearing in mind the ages of everyone in the senior team. Not pressing right now but we really don't want to still be trying to get the likes of Bytel and Windy to their first 50 games when we have to throw them into the midfield full time.
I think Owens is the one we want in there. No King meant he was stuck forward but as soon as he was back he was pushed into the centre early.

Hopefully we see more of it after he returns

I'd say that they don't have much to throw in. For what ever reason we seem to think that Windy isn't ready and Bytel is on that fringe of the side being a one position mid. There really isn't much else in the bag. Connolly is playing midfield at Sandy and looks like he's only just going.

I think Owens is the one we want in there. No King meant he was stuck forward but as soon as he was back he was pushed into the centre early.

Hopefully we see more of it after he returns
I was kind of hoping Membrey would play, function really well with King & Caminiti and force their hand a bit to push Owens into the midfield.

I feel for Membrey but two key forwards is enough. I don’t even think he’ll be the sub.
Maybe he’s just not ready After his concussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back