Play Nice Hypothetical Pick 1 Trade Poll: Pick 1 for Picks 2 & 15 --- Pick 1 & F1 (WCE) for Picks 2 & 3 --- Something else?

What sort of trade do you think would be fair and/or likely when involving Pick 1 in 2023?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
And of course, I will remind you all to review the rules of the trade board, in particular:
  • No trolling – in addition to the obvious, we have a ban on troll nicknames such as Norf, West Coke, etc similar to the main board, because this type of language is inflammatory and creates more issues than it solves. Keep it civilised or take it elsewhere, such as the Bay or your club board, or whoever will have you really
  • Don't be a pest – this includes derailing the thread with off-topic stuff, or trying to starve it of oxygen through proof by assertion/argument ad nauseam, aka filibustering
  • Personal attacks – should go without saying but stick to the point, no name calling, no insinuations about someone's intelligence, abilities or other attributes

I don't think 2+3 will happen, but 2+6 would likely get WC enough to agree to give up Reid.

Club -- Give <-> Get
WCE -- 1+F2 <-> 2+6
NM -- 2+3+18 <-> 1+11+F2
MEL -- 6+11 <-> 3+18

Curtin's not a top 3 pick. He'll likely be there for us for at 6 (ignoring Academy/FS). If not, there are plenty of KPD's WC would likely be keen on at that range.

NM are likely the only ones to cry about this trade, but let's be real, they didn't deserve picks 3 or 18 anyway, so it shouldn't hurt that much to trade away.

The talent level between 2-9 isn’t huge. Not worth it to Melbourne to give up pick 11 to move 3 spots up unless Melbourne hit back a later first from North (pick 15).

If WCE are going to accept 6, 11 and a F1 from North, Melbourne might as well offer that. Understand North’s F1 is likely better than Melbournes
So North move back 3 spots in the pointy end of the 1st round for a 4 spot upgrade in the back end of the 1st round?

That's an insanely bad trade for North.

Eagles wouldn’t trade pick 1 for anything less than 2/3 in normal circumstances but you feel the AFL are pulling the strings here. Nothing surer than Reid gets to North it’s a commercial decision to get people to go to / watch games given the Harley hype. People go to eagles games regardless and It was the ultimate point of the assistance package clearly. I figure if only using 2023 picks something like
North 1,6,15,37
Eagles 2,8,17
Dees 3
Cats 11,18

North give up pick 9 equivalent points to get Reid but retain 3 first rounders.
Eagles get about pick 8 to forego Reid but add 2 first rounders.
Dees trade up giving up equivalent of pick 22 for Duursma or Watson.
Cats get about pick 25 equivalent (ironic given ratagloea) and turn 8 into 2 firsts to start their rebuild.

Have at me!

The talent level between 2-9 isn’t huge. Not worth it to Melbourne to give up pick 11 to move 3 spots up unless Melbourne hit back a later first from North (pick 15).

If WCE are going to accept 6, 11 and a F1 from North, Melbourne might as well offer that. Understand North’s F1 is likely better than Melbournes
They wont accept that from dees as its no where near the proposed offer here from North

Eagle fans are already disagreeing and lauging at 6, 11 and Norths F1

The fact that all 3 sides arent happy is usually a sure sign its around the mark

Osullivan and Pick 11 for Mckercher or Duursma is basically the going rate

They wont accept that from dees as its no where near the proposed offer here from North

The fact that all 3 sides arent happy is usually a sure sign its around the mark

It's *ing ridiculous suggesting WC should drop back 5 places and be happy with that because another club can't get anyone in the gate.
6, 11 and Norths F1.... absolutely sh!te.
Que some 🤡 to go on about local talent!

Last edited:
I don't think 2+3 will happen, but 2+6 would likely get WC enough to agree to give up Reid.

Club -- Give <-> Get
WCE -- 1+F2 <-> 2+6
NM -- 2+3+18 <-> 1+11+F2
MEL -- 6+11 <-> 3+18

Curtin's not a top 3 pick. He'll likely be there for us for at 6 (ignoring Academy/FS). If not, there are plenty of KPD's WC would likely be keen on at that range.

NM are likely the only ones to cry about this trade, but let's be real, they didn't deserve picks 3 or 18 anyway, so it shouldn't hurt that much to trade away.

How didn't we deserve 3?? If ess are paying enough for band 1 compo we are 100% entitled to band 1 compo.

Its the same rules for every club.

i think you need to look at the last three main drafts to see that your arguament is flawed.
we have drafted 12 players of which 7 are local boys 3 from victoria and 2 from s.a.
Even last year when we avoided the two obvious flight risks to get Ginbey and Hewett we got Long & burgiel who are victorian and Barnert from s.a..If you add in the two msd picks who are victorians it then becomes 7 w.a. boys, 5 victorians and 2 s.a. boys so that makes it fifty per cent local boys and fifty per cent foreigners.
Those numbers just reinforce my argument. Roughly 1 in 7 players in the AFL come from WA. In your example 7 out of 14 come from WA, that is consistent with the WC list as a whole and indicates a very strong preference for locals.
This doesn't mean that WC won't keep pick 1 and select Reid. But it does decrease the likelihood of that happening. It is a trend can't be ignored or dismissed.

There's only one club that needs to be happy in this trade scenario - WCE.

The other clubs are irrelevant.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Eagles wouldn’t trade pick 1 for anything less than 2/3 in normal circumstances but you feel the AFL are pulling the strings here. Nothing surer than Reid gets to North it’s a commercial decision to get people to go to / watch games given the Harley hype. People go to eagles games regardless and It was the ultimate point of the assistance package clearly. I figure if only using 2023 picks something like
North 1,6,15,37
Eagles 2,8,17
Dees 3
Cats 11,18

Cats get about pick 25 equivalent (ironic given ratagloea) and turn 8 into 2 firsts to start their rebuild.

Have at me!
This is probably one of the best trades I've seen for balance. Don't think I'd do it as I'd rather the 2nd pick be top 6 too. (UI really want to just take Reid).
It's good though.

North 1,6,15,37
Eagles 2,8,17
Dees 3
Cats 11,18

Have at me!
I'd like us to do this trade as a three way with Melbourne and Geelong, ie. without the WC bit. Would leave us with 2, 6, 8, 15, 17 for McKercher, Curtin/Watson (depending on who gets through), O'Sullivan + two later firsts (one for a ruckman, one traded for a future first).

WCE has to be happy first for it to even be considered.

I don't think there's any scenario where multiple clubs will be happy to trade, someone will lose out and it'll fall apart.
Agree. Don’t see Dees giving North the opportunity to take Reid. I can see them potentially trading 6 and 11 for 3 and 23 with West Coast in the event Rawlings shits the bed on draft night and gives us 2 and 3 for 1. But that in itself would depend on how highly Dees rate Duursma. I would have thought they’d be more than happy with Caddy/Curtin and a Wilson type.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back