I dont think Carey is in the top 100 players to play the game

Remove this Banner Ad

Buddy has kicked a lot more goals than Carey and Buddy is definitely not a traditional key forward. Buddy will end his career as probably the highest scoring CHF of all time.
you can't compare the 2 as you didn't see the Ducks career.

Buddy is a lot closer to goal than Carey was which is why he has kicked more goals. He's also a lot more selfish than Carey was.

you can't compare the 2 as you didn't see the Ducks career.

Buddy is a lot closer to goal than Carey was which is why he has kicked more goals. He's also a lot more selfish than Carey was.

Carey had a career average of 16.5 disposals per game compared to Buddy's average of 15.6

I don't think that is much of a difference, especially when you consider that Buddy has averages 3.2 goals per game compared to Carey's 2.7

Carey also played in an era where it was much easier for big men to kick massive amounts of goals.

Carey had a career average of 16.5 disposals per game compared to Buddy's average of 15.6

I don't think that is much of a difference, especially when you consider that Buddy has averages 3.2 goals per game compared to Carey's 2.7

Carey also played in an era where it was much easier for big men to kick massive amounts of goals.
You didn't watch Carey so I assume you didn't watch much of the era he played in. Buddy leads out from the goal square more often than not whereas the duck lead up the ground as an old school CHF. The big men who kicked massive amounts of goals were full forwards, not CHF's. Disposal numbers are a lot higher now than they were in the Ducks era too.

RUNVS mate, just stop. Take advice from those who actually saw the duck play. He and Franklin have both been wonderful forwards but using stats to compare them is silly. Their roles and the game they play are very different.

To make it something more comparable to modern times, Carey could theoretically be described as a better version of the best of Taylor Walker and Tom Lynch (Adelaide) combined, GF notwithstanding. Hulking physical presence, deft skills and a fantastic link player for guys like Longmire, Allison and Sholl. On top of this he had an ability to take over games few have, Hird & Voss did too, Buddy would be the closest in the modern game.

Honestly, I’m not sure why you’re pushing the barrow you are. It’s not rose colored glasses those of us lucky enough to see the king play are wearing, he was just THAT good.

Mate, imagine a player the build/size and athletecism of Nat Fyfe now (in Carey's early days) with the same overhead marking ability. Now add Gary Albert Jnrs footskills and general skills, now add Steve Johnsons forward craft.

Now you have an idea of the player Carey was in 92-95.

It's stupid to even compare them on stats.

Mate, imagine a player the build/size and athletecism of Nat Fyfe now (in Carey's early days) with the same overhead marking ability. Now add Gary Albert Jnrs footskills and general skills, now add Steve Johnsons forward craft.

Now you have an idea of the player Carey was in 92-95.

It's stupid to even compare them on stats.

I reckon you're underselling Ducks kicking there mate. Gary Ablett Jnr doesn't have Careys range. A realistic comparison would be Buckley.

As far as comparing Carey & Franklin on kicking? It's not even worthy of discussion.

Carey played in a different time. As Pagan would say Carey "played in an octopus position ". Albeit the rules are different now. Carey also worked hard when he didn't have the ball. Best i've seen in my lifetime.

I reckon you're underselling Ducks kicking there mate. Gary Ablett Jnr doesn't have Careys range. A realistic comparison would be Buckley.

As far as comparing Carey & Franklin on kicking? It's not even worthy of discussion.

Buddy's kicking around the ground is beyond elite. He is a phenomenal kick. But only with the left.

Im happy having Carey ahead of Buddy for now. Once Buddy's career is over and you can look at it in its entirety, Buddy may well be better.

I do like the OP where he said 9 out of 10 people chose Carey as #1. Bunch of flogs. Unless they meant "AFL" not "AFL/VFL".

Firstly modra kicked 13 infamoudly in round one 94 against Carlton. They dragged silvagni after 8 in a little over a half

Careys break out game was against Victoria playing for sa in 92. Sa won. Kernahan breakout game was in 84 against Victoria playing for sa. We lost.

Carey also never accepted brown paper bags under the table like kernahan did

Granted modra was better than Carey but not by much.

You're unhinged. Carey kicked 4 goals in 3 rep games. Kernahan kicked 66 in 16. Do the math.

Hard to assess as a Carlton supporter as Carey never got the better of SOS.

Plus Kernahan betters him on all key stats including goals per game and (by a margin) goals per game in finals.

1993 Carey had 20 touches and kicked 5 goals 3 behinds on SOS

1996 14 touches 9 marks 3 goals

But SOS did have a reasonable record on Carey overall

Guess you never watched him play. From what I can remember, Carey could change a game off his own boot. Take the off field BS away and like it or not but Carey is a top 100 player...Ever

Buddy's kicking around the ground is beyond elite. He is a phenomenal kick. But only with the left.

Im happy having Carey ahead of Buddy for now. Once Buddy's career is over and you can look at it in its entirety, Buddy may well be better.

I do like the OP where he said 9 out of 10 people chose Carey as #1. Bunch of flogs. Unless they meant "AFL" not "AFL/VFL".

One noteworthy thing about Carey is that he was a two-sided player... a phenomenal kick on either foot.

Also, what the hell are you talking about in that last sentence? I said no such thing. I said The Sunday Footy Show did a segment where the presenters such as james brayshaw and gary lyon, along with some legends of the game who now work in the media (dermy and leigh mathews were among them if I remember correctly), were asked to rate their top 5 players ever. All of them except one rated Carey the no #1 player, which came as a surprise to noone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One noteworthy thing about Carey is that he was a two-sided player... a phenomenal kick on either foot.

Also, what the hell are you talking about in that last sentence? I said no such thing. I said The Sunday Footy Show did a segment where the presenters such as james brayshaw and gary lyon, along with some legends of the game who now work in the media (dermy and leigh mathews were among them if I remember correctly), were asked to rate their top 5 players ever. All of them except one rated Carey the no #1 player, which came as a surprise to noone.

Im saying all those guys are a bunch of flogs for thinking Carey is the number 1 player. Unless they were only talking about the AFL era.

Im saying all those guys are a bunch of flogs for thinking Carey is the number 1 player. Unless they were only talking about the AFL era.

How old are you?

My guess is >30

Well beyond.

Makes just as much sense.

I'll guess 55 (1962-1964).

I would only rate your opinion from 18 years old and onwards.

1982 - 1984 +

Go ahead, name your top 5.

Last edited:
Matthews
Carey
Ablett Snr
Lockett
Dunstall

But Matthews really was at his best in the mid to late 70s.

Your pushing it with Matthews, but I would agree that they are good choices.

Your pushing it with Matthews, but I would agree that they are good choices.

You did say 82 to 84 so I figured I could sneak Matthews in. If you said 84 I wouldnt have considered him. Instead I would go with Diesel. But if you factor leadership in as well pure individual ability, Voss also gets a run. And by factoring in leadership it also drops Ablett Jnr down the list too.

Players usually get rated higher after they've retired for a while, but the opposite is happening with duck

The proposition that Carey is not a top 100 player is barely less ridiculous than the statistical algorithms under development by Indian professors to prove that Tendulkar is better than Bradman.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back