Is it time for Dimma to go.

• Yes

Votes: 97 43.9%
  • No

Votes: 126 57.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach can’t fix skills

Our dynasty game plan was predicated on chaos. Kick to packs, bring ball to ground and swoop. Kicks off the ground, tap ons etc. It perhaps hid our lack of basic football transportation skills in kicking.

I haven't read all these pages, but I do just want to point out.

Dimma and the coaches don't teach the players to make god awful turnovers..

that s**t is on the players.

Selection stuff ok that sits with the coaching group.

but execution of skills on the ground is not a coaching issue IMO.

these are finely tuned elite athletes who have worked on their craft since under 12's for most of them.

If they still need a coach to show them how to hit a target then they are in the wrong gig!

Isnt that part of what a coach does though? Coach/teach? I accept that the basics are learnt/learned during teen years etc. But when drafted surely there is continual learnings and reinforcement of said skills.

Dimma said many moons ago we wouldnt pick players who cant kick. saigh.

I live in real life. I've seen peoples personal issues within the workplace destroy happy workplaces & relationships etc. s**t happens at footy clubs, just like everywhere else in the world. It's not an obsession, its a strong opinion based on a lot of different information, that i have stuck to for THREE years - because i believe it to be true.

I don't think the fact that these guys didn;t retire & base their entire career, family income etc is an proof at all of "zero evidence". What kind of an idiot makes their financial & professional decisions around someone else's "break up"? They just kept working.

Watch Dimma's entire public personality from the moment he took the job, until the 2020 season - then compare it from there till now. He went from being the softest, most ultra positive,"company line" pressers to being a snarky bastard.

People can change over a decade, thats pretty normal.Sometimes the changes make them better or more potent in their job - other times, it will have the opposite effect. What his affair did definitely do was pop the public illusion of him being a pretty perfect, role model, mentor, husband, family man. He was still all of those things in different ways - but it was definitely different. From that moment the illusion dropped, Dimma has been a pretty different person in his media profile, talking openly about smoking weed, making jokes referencing "pulling bongs" - he has been a lot more relaxed, a lot more jokey - but also a lot more cynical & pretty "blamey". It was a completely different approach to his first 10 years as coach. He has changed. Life will do that. But it can come at a cost somewhere.

I feel like its near impossible to not say that the Damian Hardwick we have had since 2020 is a drastically different guy to the one we had as coach from 2010-2020. All the talk of the brotherhood matched his 2010-20 approach perfectly & he spoke about it constantly. Since then, the approach has not really promoted those values & he rarely speaks or mentions it. As as fans, its ******* blatantly obvious that this team has looked a bit spiritually broken since the ordeal and glory of 2020.

History will clearly show, that the incredible feat of 2020 broke the dynasty. It was our ultimate gem but it also came at the biggest cost to the group, but also to many of the individuals. Lots of lives changed forever, and not all for the better. I would say its been a pretty rough few years i would think for a lot of those guys, not just professionally - but personally also. It all comes at a cost somewhere.

You get mad at me, but this is how the story has gone and how i said it was going at the time. The second the wheels fell off in 2021 after that WC game, the full extent of the damage was exposed & its just been a journey of chasing ghost since.

Can you give me details of the lots of lives that were changed forever and not for the better?

I think Dimma's contract goes through to end of next year.

I don't want him sacked and after all he's done for us, deserves to go on his own terms.

That said, I think 13 years is well long enough for a senior coach. With Peggy gone, The Chief likely going, team missing finals, senior players also likely in their last year, I do hope that Dimma acknowledges that a major refresh is required this year and that it might be time for him to also finish up at the end of this season.

But needs to be his decision and based on his comments that he has said he'll move on when the team is no longer challenging for premierships, that time is this year. The only thing challenging at the moment is how challenging we are to watch.

Isnt that part of what a coach does though? Coach/teach? I accept that the basics are learnt/learned during teen years etc. But when drafted surely there is continual learnings and reinforcement of said skills.

Dimma said many moons ago we wouldnt pick players who cant kick. saigh.
I would argue the teaching is more decision making based rather than the skill. They already have the skill set, otherwise they wouldn't have been drafted.

but we are seeing players miss open targets by hand and foot under minimal pressure.

either way it's ugly to watch currently.

He said preseason that this is the most talented list we have assembled.
‘how is that going?
On paper it is still a great list. Martin is still finding form, Bolton has been average and players are out of form. The young players haven't shown much either.
The rule change by Hocking has certainly stifled us as well.

I haven't read all these pages, but I do just want to point out.

Dimma and the coaches don't teach the players to make god awful turnovers..

that s**t is on the players.

Selection stuff ok that sits with the coaching group.

but execution of skills on the ground is not a coaching issue IMO.

these are finely tuned elite athletes who have worked on their craft since under 12's for most of them.

If they still need a coach to show them how to hit a target then they are in the wrong gig!
Disagree as coaches need to teach players to execute skills highly under match conditions and high pressure.
It starts with fitness first and everything else breaks down after that as skills drop off once fatigue sets in. Our guys have looked cooked after half time in most games.

Disagree as coaches need to teach players to execute skills highly under match conditions and high pressure.
It starts with fitness first and everything else breaks down after that as skills drop off once fatigue sets in. Our guys have looked cooked after half time in most games.
Yeah but we are missing open targets by hand and foot with no pressure.. you should not be needing to coach that at AFL level.

Under extreme pressure I'm fine with, shit happens.

Yeah but we are missing open targets by hand and foot with no pressure.. you should not be needing to coach that at AFL level.

Under extreme pressure I'm fine with, s**t happens.
Agree, but it’s a confidence thing being able to execute at that level and the team is void of it at the moment. It’s 2016 again where players are playing out of position and no game plan too scared to make mistakes as they maybe dropped. Fitness is still a big issue here especially with tall blokes and the aged smaller blokes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I love Dimma and what he has done for us but I do wonder if he has lost a bit of passion having done the same thing with the same surroundings for such a long time.

Rather than sack or let Dimma go, I would like to see an assistant come up that we think could one day take over from Dimma and learn the ropes from him. Someone like a Lambert or someone we think has the smarts to coach but not quite ready.

I voted to sack Dimma, but I didn’t think before voting. Unless there is someone better available, we need to stick with him for now but get some really good assistants in (perhaps ask Caracalla to come back even though he left on bad terms apparently. Does not matter if he is good enough). I think he was the architect of our success to be honest.

I actually think our skill level is not that bad, execution is but I also blame the coaches for a game plan that doesn’t quite suit the current players. It may work when we have a full senior team but it is not working now and is placing too much pressure on the players. Dimma needs to take a look at the plan and tweak it for the players he currently has to select from.

I don’t think we are that far off the mark and will improve in the latter half of the season but for now, with so many kids and an ill fitting game plan, we are in for some more pain I think.

On to West Coast next week and hopefully people will be more forgiving when we win by a lot.

Go Tigers 🐯

I vote no to being pushed out, only if he leaves on his own terms. He's not speaking like someone that is thinking about walking anyway. We're just completely bereft of confidence now. You cant blame it on one thing or person, Its a combination of a number of factors:

-bringing in 2 new prime midfielders has messed with connection(we all knew it would take a while to gel but I dont think any of us expected it to be this bad)
-injuries earlier in the season stopped us from getting some consistency of personnel on the park - no excuses though bc I still think the sides we're putting out there are capable sides
-assistant coach and footy department turnover - we've had a big turnover over the last several years and thats got to have an effect.
-we like to build into a season but I think we dropped our bundle this year and hit round 1 further behind the 8-ball than ideal. Jury is out on Meehan
-No one couldve predicted the experienced guys playing so poorly collectively.

He either has to go or we have a massive shake up with his assistants ala 2016. Pay the tax for going over the soft cap, who gives a ****. Get rid of Teague, get rid of McQualter, get rid of Clarke and Lonergan. Bring in some blokes that actually have some tactical nous. Leppitsch should be our #1 target.

RJK Tiger has a massive stiffy at the moment

I have to admit, it does help being able to bitch slap you lot in the face with the harsh reality & facts that now backup everything ive been saying since the collapse in 2021, especially after coping years of pathetic fanboy/girl squeals from people like yourself R2R, Nord etc

Some of the lack of self awareness from the supporters has been startling & its amusing watching them try to still spin it.

has made a couple of coaching eras in last few weeks - but deserves more respect still than this thread at the moment for mine ....

13 of them are unavailable, but there’s other issues too
Screenshot 2023-05-01 at 10.43.08 am.png

Thats the injury report.

Tarrant, Soldo, Smith, MRJ, Biggy, Gibcus, Colina, Smith,Brown Bradtke & Campbell would most likely not get a starting 18 gig for any of the top 8 teams. Jack Graham could almost slip onto that list.

This is not an injury problem, its laughable to suggest so. The team we named should have easily cleaned up the Suns without T.Miller.

I have to admit, it does help being able to bitch slap you lot in the face with the harsh reality & facts that now backup everything ive been saying since the collapse in 2021, especially after coping years of pathetic fanboy/girl squeals from people like yourself R2R, Nord etc

Some of the lack of self awareness from the supporters has been startling & its amusing watching them try to still spin it.

Mate you are the person who campaigned tirelessly to shift Daniel Rioli out of the half back line, even long after he displayed AA level form there. And if he now breaks a leg and never comes back quite as good as a result you will claim you knew he wouldn't sustain his great form at half back.

Who are you sacking or shifting now? I just ask so we can have another laugh at you when that proves to be wrong.

Mate you are the person who campaigned tirelessly to shift Daniel Rioli out of the half back line, even long after he displayed AA level form there. And if he now breaks a leg and never comes back quite as good as a result you will claim you knew he wouldn't sustain his great form at half back.

Who are you sacking or shifting now? I just ask so we can have another laugh at you when that proves to be wrong.

Yeah that was ONE thing i said & ONE thing you and your patehtic mates targeted for yonks

And since that move i might add, nothing changed in our success & the club recruited 27 HBF types.

The Rioli convo is well and truely over you clown, we are bottom 3, won only 1 game & don't own our first & second pick. Planting your flag on the Rioli move while our entire ship sinks is the most "R2R Crew" thing to do. The ship is literally sinking and you guys are still more worried about being right and holding some bullshit level of perception around here.

No one ****ing cares about Dan Rioli playing down back anymore. Doubt he will be in any AA talk this season. And quite frankly the fact that Dimma has still not trialed him down forward again while the team averages less than 10 goals a game most weeks & the results that have followed, leaves the idea as one of the few ones we have left to try to actually turn this shit around. But Dimma being him refuses to do it, continues to blame the kids & blindly support his ol boys club to the death of Richmond

He is right. this is Richmond killing Richmond. But its him holding the knife.

You go champ. What a legend taken absolute glee off the back of a few losses on the field. You truely are a super hero.

View attachment 1675377

Thats the injury report.

Tarrant, Soldo, Smith, MRJ, Biggy, Gibcus, Colina, Smith,Brown Bradtke & Campbell would most likely not get a starting 18 gig for any of the top 8 teams. Jack Graham could almost slip onto that list.

This is not an injury problem, its laughable to suggest so. The team we named should have easily cleaned up the Suns without T.Miller.

LOL, your elite key forward is missing replaced by inexperience, captain and ruck is missing replaced by inexperience then a totally under-prepared ruck, your most experienced key defender is missing replaced by a 5 game player. Your two best pressure forwards are missing. Some of these players replaced by players with no games at any level this season, and/or no pre-season, due in part to holes on the list and in part to other possible alternatives themselves being injured. And injuries are not a problem according to you.

Strewth.

Last edited:
LOL, your elite key forward is missing replaced by inexperience, captain and ruck is missing replaced by inexperience then a totally under-prepared ruck, your most experienced key defender is missing replaced by a 5 game player. Your two best pressure forwards are missing. Some of these players replaced by players with no games at any level this season, and/or no pre-season, due in part ot holes on the list and in part to other possible alternatives themselves being injured. And injuries are not a problem according to you.

Strewth.

A loss is like Christmas Day for this bloke. He wonders why we call him a troll.

Back