General Bombers Talk More talk of changing the logo. Post your thoughts here.

What should we do with the logo?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Letter from the President: Brand research project​

President Dave Barham provides an update on the club's brand research project.
By essendonfc.com.au - 1 hr ago

To all our Fans and Members,

The Essendon Football Club has a proud history as one of the oldest clubs in the AFL and we have a strong recognisable brand.

We are conducting a preliminary research project which centres around the Essendon brand and its elements.

The research project is in its early phase. Members and supporters have been and will continue to be canvassed as part of this process, in addition to the engagement of multiple Essendon Football Club stakeholders.

We have a proud history of more than 150 years and a deep connection to our members and supporters. This is and will always be respected and embraced.

There is no immediate action to change the club logo or any elements of the club brand. This is a longer-term project with significant work to be completed.

We proudly recognise that our future legacy begins with our proud history.

We will always be called the Bombers.

- Dave Barham

The F-22 or F-35, or whatever that is, is overpriced, ineffective crap. Would have been perfect for 2011 to 2020 but hopefully not for where we are going.

The most menacing looking plane built is the Blackbird:

View attachment 1150593

Doesn't drop any bombs, though.
So looks like Tarzan plays like Jane?

Also, to all the people who have no solid experience in graphic design,

plz-stop-post.jpg
Tell me about your solid experience as an AFL player, coach and list manager.

1e30490ea10e8ec9a038c82ed58ceff3.png

Would love something similar to this level of detail.

Could definitely see that kind of a Bombers typeface (or even if it was swapped for the word Essendon) looking good on hoodies/jackets, hats, scarves, bags, ect;

The worst thing you can do with a logo is have too much going on.

The old monogram in red, black shield with a red outline would all it needs to be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Time for a logo change.

We can have a logo with a plane in it, but also consider something without one.
A black shield with a red stripe on it. Or just EFC on it, keep it simple.

The current logo with this pointy plane thing on it seems like we are trying to hard to have a plane on it.

I would wear Essendon merch way more if it looked any good. We just seem to get stuff that is aimed at kids.

If anyone wants to pitch ideas and quote this post, I’ll try to mock some up tomorrow.

I've said it before, but something simple involving a propeller motif, black and red colour scheme, a three armed one would look tidy, perhaps keeping with a triangle shaped logo 🤷🏻‍♂️

Edit: just pulled this from google search. I don't mean just this, but this is along the lines of what's in my head as a starting point. Screenshot_20210609-201845~2.png

Last edited:
The worst thing you can do with a logo is have too much going on.

The old monogram in red, black shield with a red outline would all it needs to be.
This - the EFC monogram looks great! Sad it doesn't get brought up as an alternative very often? It would be the like the recent change to Port's logo except better.

Would like to see something simple and less noisy. Port and Freo have the best logos going imo. They both nailed their rebrand. Even Carlton, gives off that old school Yankees vibe. I find most of the AFL logos too cartoonish.
I think the issue is that the logos for the VFL teams were launched in the 70s and built around their mascots, which inevitably made them cartoonish. I'm happy to have a logo sans the Bomber mascot

As it turns out, I had some time to kill in an airport today. Something like so?

i2NSU.jpg

And a couple of alternatives, the shield alone and a more elaborate version with a nod to the Club's twenty VFA and VFL flags.

9qLUp.jpg
mkKi0.jpg

Think this nailed the concept back in 2015. IMHO anyway. Play around with the shapes and other elements, but black shield, red sash, heritage monogram and 1872 are all you need. Simple, classy and incorporates the club’s important symbols.

Back