Is there such a thing as 'clutch' in the AFL? If so, who has it?

Remove this Banner Ad

If I had some sort of magical time machine, and could pick a player to be at the Pies... would probably be Bartel.

Then you'd be an idiot.
What about Ablett?
What about Judd in his prime.

While I love Bartel, hes a favourite of mine, I would pick those 2 miles ahead, and you know what I'd probably even take Steve Johnson over him, just because he offers somethinig that very very few players have. Bartel is a player with no real weakness however.

Then you'd be an idiot.
What about Ablett?
What about Judd in his prime.

While I love Bartel, hes a favourite of mine, I would pick those 2 miles ahead, and you know what I'd probably even take Steve Johnson over him, just because he offers somethinig that very very few players have. Bartel is a player with no real weakness however.

That's fine. I love Bartel, think he is an amazing player and one of the best big game players ever. Not sure calling me an idiot was called for though.

Luke Ball's 2011 finals series

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From a basketball perspective, people who think Michael Jordan was a clutch player obviously are't old enough to remember Larry Bird.

People who think Larry Bird was a clutch player obviously are't old enough to remember Jimmy "Shoeshine" Cassidy who dominated the pre-NBA competition of the late 19th century like no other.

Larry Bird? Pffffft!!!

basketball-player-crop.jpg

Last year Wingard was the best at it. Kicked so many last half/quarter goals when games were on the line. Has already done it again in this year's showdown and was on the verge of doing it last week again, before getting injured.

In big games for North.

Which are not big games to anyone else.

What type of BS response is THAT?? You're a dispecable fool. Grow up. Boomer (premiership player) is a walk in HOFer..

Last edited:
I think this guy deserves a mention for probably the ultimate clutch moment footy has seen....

View attachment 50477

Clutch moment most defiantly and probably Leo's finest / most memorable moment in his career. But wasn't such the CLUTCH player. I've serve you up COREY JONES if you want another CLUTCH moment.. fwd to 8.52

Remember this??

First and only thought. Jimmy Bartel.

AFL is generally harder to pinpoint, american sports have the set up to allow for such things ie:
Basketball - 5 per team on court, same player usually given the game winning shot via set plays / timeout
NFL - It's either a clutch QB or it's not really, lesser occasions will be RB or WR

NFL is a team performance where DEFENSE needs to stand up as well… I know it's a AFL discussion but I can run thru many CLUTCH players on D that will have you flabbergasted.

I'd say Scott Pendlebury, but he's being doing it for 4 quarters this year, not just clutch time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back