Toast I have faith in Ken Hinkley

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
On a positive note;

Im feeling like the list is quite balanced at the moment. We have quality depth in most areas and some exciting prospects coming through.

Personally im a big fan of some of the list management decisions that have been made over the off season and you can bet ur ass that Kenny played a big part in that.

Lets hope it all comes together this season.

This was the biggest standout factor from the draft this year. We delisted positions we had surplus of and bought in positions that were at a premium. It's a shame it took so long to address this list profile issue though. It's been around for the better part of a decade.

The Aint's coach after the 1997 gf?
Really? He made the 97 GF and then they sacked him before 98?

I don't remember because I was literally 12.
Stan Alves coached the Saints in 1998. His contract wasn't renewed at the end of the 1998 season. He was replaced by Tim Watson.

Apart from the Malthouse/Buckley awkward transition clusterf@#k, when was the last time a coach was sacked despite making the finals?
Grant Thomas at end of 2006 after they lost the elimination final.

Really? He made the 97 GF and then they sacked him before 98?

I don't remember because I was literally 12.

Yep, Stan Alves was sacked, and from memory it happened only about a week after the 1997 gf was played.

I had better check it out on google before one of the fact Nazis points out that I'm a few days out. ;)

Edit
I was a year out, but at least wharfie isn't one of the fact Nazis. :)

Did Carlton make then finals when Ratten was sacked?
Nope, but they did 3 years in a row, 2009-11 before that under Ratten.

Yep, Stan Alves was sacked, and from memory it happened only about a week after the 1997 gf was played.

I had better check it out on google before one of the fact Nazis points out that I'm a few days out. ;)

Edit
I was a year out, but at least wharfie isn't one of the fact Nazis. :)
They sacked him based on Saint's taking a nose dive the last 6 weeks before the finals, lost 5 of 6 I think, and went from top with something like 12-4 win loss, to 4th or 5th and then went out in straight sets in the finals - under the old top 8 system.

Mick Malthouse wasn't sacked but was replaced after the 2011GF

They sacked him based on Saint's taking a nose dive the last 6 weeks before the finals, lost 5 of 6 I think, and went from top with something like 12-4 win loss, to 4th or 5th and then went out in straight sets in the finals - under the old top 8 system.

Tony Jewell was sacked by Richmond in 1981, 1 year after winning the flag ( their last ).
He was appointed coach again in the mid 80's ( a seemingly bizarre decision ), but the tiggers and strange management decisions tend to go hand in hand. :rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mick Malthouse wasn't sacked but was replaced after the 2011GF

I mentioned that one at the beginning as an exception since it was a prearranged transition that went south after Mick suddenly had huge success that led to second thoughts.

And GT was only really sacked because of personal and business dealings turned sour with the president Rod Butterss.

Hinkley is safe with a finals finish.

Yep I think he is rock solid for 2018 with a finals finish. The only question will be if they extend his contract on the back of that or wait and see how things unfold in 2018.

I mentioned that one at the beginning as an exception since it was a prearranged transition that went south after Mick suddenly had huge success that led to second thoughts.

Yep I think he is rock solid for 2018 with a finals finish. The only question will be if they extend his contract on the back of that or wait and see how things unfold in 2018.
Apologies, didn't go back far enough

If Hinkley gets us to finals the next 2 seasons he will likely get an extension, if we win a few it is almost guaranteed. We will continue to think we are only a player or two away from a premiership.

Just four in the one year will do fine. :p

Stan Alves coached the Saints in 1998. His contract wasn't renewed at the end of the 1998 season. He was replaced by Tim Watson.

That's a bit like replacing the Titanic with the Marie Celeste.

Ding ding ding we have a winner! Thanks REH.

So in summary I think it's very unlikely that Kern will get the chop if we make the finals (even moreso since he still has a year to run) but it's not without precedent.

I think if we scrape into the finals and fail to win one, then he's still gone.

We won 4 of 12 at AO and 6 of 10 on the road. If you reckon we are going to improve then we should still win 6 of 10 on the road and we should be winning 7 or 8 or 9 at home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back