Toast I have faith in Ken Hinkley

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even with a year to run? It's possible, but I reckon they'll spin the 'upswing' narrative and keep him for 2018 (saving a few hundred k in the process).

The narrative has already been set.

Two years out of finals is unacceptable.
Two years out of finals and then out in an elimination round loss is unforgivable.

The narrative has already been set.

Two years out of finals is unacceptable.
Two years out of finals and then out in an elimination round loss is unforgivable.

I haven't heard anyone from the club say this.

Missing the finals is black and white, no room to move on that one. Making the finals, albeit just, and it can be spun.

I haven't heard anyone from the club say this.

Missing the finals is black and white, no room to move on that one. Making the finals, albeit just, and it can be spun.

I'm suggesting that it won't be.
Ken doesn't just need to make finals, he needs to win them.

IMO.

IMO.

I'm actually of the same opinion that it's not good enough to just make the finals and get bundled out straight away, but I think the club will stand by him if that happens.

Anyway here's hoping that we don't have to find out.

I'm actually of the same opinion that it's not good enough to just make the finals and get bundled out straight away, but I think the club will stand by him if that happens.

Anyway here's hoping that we don't have to find out.
If we scrape into the 8 and get bundled out straight away and we don't really look any closer to a flag, I'd still be inclined to move Hinkley on.

We have plenty of talent. There needs to be a change in form this year that gets us closer to a flag.

We won 4 of 12 at AO and 6 of 10 on the road. If you reckon we are going to improve then we should still win 6 of 10 on the road and we should be winning 7 or 8 or 9 at home.
We seriously need to make our home turf something we stand for with unlimited grit and determination. 2016 I prefer to delete from my memory. Spent more game time kicking footy back of western stand with my young lad witnessing someone with 100% commitment

If we scrape into the 8 and get bundled out straight away and we don't really look any closer to a flag, I'd still be inclined to move Hinkley on.

We have plenty of talent. There needs to be a change in form this year that gets us closer to a flag.

I agree but what should happen and what does happen aren't always in concert.

The extra year on his contract is the main issue here, the club won't want to pay it out unless it's absolutely necessary. If he does better than the last couple of years (i.e. makes finals) then I reckon they'll try to sell that 'improvement' and most people will buy it.

IMO.

If he was out of contract, maybe. But the only way we sack a hugely popular coach with a year to run on his contract after a finals appearance is if he's caught diddling Kochie's wife.

We seriously need to make our home turf something we stand for with unlimited grit and determination. 2016 I prefer to delete from my memory. Spent more game time kicking footy back of western stand with my young lad witnessing someone with 100% commitment

Exactly, it used to be called the Portress for a reason..... Time to remind the rest of the AFL why.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We're sort of headed for the cross roads this year. If things turn sour and Hinkley is ousted then we are more or less positioned for a rebuild. The current status quo of meandering along, winning 50% of our games and playing the same core group of players cannot continue without substantial improvement and soon.

I think that our list of those aged 20 and over is not that talented - just mid table.

1 elite (robbie gray) then 11 very good (wingard, ryder, boak, ebert, trengove, wines, clurey, pittard, hombsch, westhoff, dixon, young). The rest good-average.

Those rated 13-22 on our list are where we struggled in 2015 and 2016 as they were ordinary, injured and inconsistent much of the time.

The last 2 years drafts are promising though.

I think that our list of those aged 20 and over is not that talented - just mid table.

1 elite (robbie gray) then 11 very good (wingard, ryder, boak, ebert, trengove, wines, clurey, pittard, hombsch, westhoff, dixon, young). The rest good-average.

Those rated 13-22 on our list are where we struggled in 2015 and 2016 as they were ordinary, injured and inconsistent much of the time.

I'd argue our past 5 drafts have all been very good/great. Also considering our draft stocks and the fact we've added Dixon, Ryder and Polec in that time, we've done well. I'll exclude the 2016 draft as there is just no way to know at this stage.

Noted busts are:
Mason Shaw (Pick 30 2012)
Mitch Harvey (Pick 45 2013)

Best 22:
Ollie Wines (Pick 7 2012)
Jarman Impey (Pick 22 2013)
Darcy Byrne-Jones (Pick 52 2013)
Logan Austin (Pick 69 2014)

Knocking on the door/First drop after injury:
Tom Clurey (Pick 29 2012)
Karl Amon (Pick 68 2013)

Too early to call:
Dougal Howard (Pick 56 2014)
Jesse Palmer (Pick 78 2014)
Riley Bonner (Pick 37 2015)
Aidyn Johnson (Pick 45 2015)

Looking at the 2014 draft it doesn't seem like anyone is going to get delisted at the end of this year (Howard, Austin, Palmer, Frampton). I really doubt if it came to the point where we realised that we weren't going to make it with our current 25-28 year old players, a large scale rebuild would be necessary. We're pretty well placed list wise.

Personally I wouldn't be at all shocked if Palmer was delisted at the end of the year. Maybe even Frampton if he has another injury wrecked year, but I'd like to see him around in 2018.

I think with White and Monfries both retiring at the end of this season probably, Jake Neade most likely not working out, Impey and Wingard moving to the midfield there'll be a best 22 spot there if Palmer wants to take it bad enough. But I see your point.

I think Frampton's safe although I thought Mason Shaw was safe so i'm definitely not the guy to ask in that regard.

If it does all go to fertiliser I reckon Bassett will slide in & maybe for the long haul.. I still believe Kenny has it in him though as we speak

If it wasnt for our very tough month of games, I would be confident of being a 60:40 chance of making finals, but given how mentally shot most of our players are, I wouldnt be surprised if we are in crisis mode by round 5 or 6, and then being in catch-up mode for the rest of the season.

I think we'll finish 10th this year, and then Ken will quit as coach of the club after round 10 of 2018 season.

Sorry...Wingard not elite? The young dual All Australian? Nah

Personally I wouldn't be at all shocked if Palmer was delisted at the end of the year. Maybe even Frampton if he has another injury wrecked year, but I'd like to see him around in 2018.
Not sure about contract situations but for mine Neade, White, Toumpas, Ah Chee and Monfries need to improve too or they'd be cut.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back