Toast I have faith in Ken Hinkley

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've mentioned this before, but Mr. Forward Pressure averaged 3.7 tackles per game last year. Jared Polec, who despite being one of the most talented guys on our list was dropped twice as a result of a lack of defensive pressure, averaged 3.6.

That 0.1 makes all the difference

Nice long article from Robbo.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...7/news-story/6caf1742545c760654f43a70ac5d7608
FOR the first time since he was sacked at 29 as a player — at Geelong in 1995 — Ken Hinkley knows there’s a whiff of blood in the air. He’s not stupid. “What can I say ... it’s real,’’ Hinkley said.“I’m going into a season where the performance has been unacceptable.’
Hinkley has two years to run on his contract, but admits that is no guarantee. “The end of my playing career came quick,’’ he said. “I was named joint captain at the start of the year and I was gone at the end of the year. And now as coach, three, four years after I was named AFL coach of the year, I’ve now got a whiff of what you just called blood.

“And I’ve got to be able to cope with that and I can cope with that OK. I’ve got strong support from everyone at the football club, I don’t have to worry about that, and at some stage, if they have to make a decision, it will be OK. “The greatest thing I’ve got is experience. I know what it looks like. I’m not surprised by what I’m hearing and seeing. “Did I ever think it was not going to come my way? I’d be a fool to think that, but I would like to make sure it goes away as quick as it possibly can.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...7/news-story/6caf1742545c760654f43a70ac5d7608

looks like KT is backing him all the way.

Hinkley, 50, doesn’t want to go anywhere and you get the feeling club chief executive Keith Thomas doesn’t want him gone, either. Indeed, the two of them also smell a whiff of excitement and adventure going into the 2017 season. “There will be noise (about Hinkley),’’ Thomas said. “If you believe enough, the noise becomes irrelevant. The weight of belief is through meticulous preparation. Get your preparation right and you build belief and that’s what I think we’ve done and we’ve arrived at a point where were comfortable.’

Nice long article from Robbo.
FOR the first time since he was sacked at 29 as a player — at Geelong in 1995 — Ken Hinkley knows there’s a whiff of blood in the air. He’s not stupid. “What can I say ... it’s real,’’ Hinkley said.“I’m going into a season where the performance has been unacceptable.’
Hinkley has two years to run on his contract, but admits that is no guarantee. “The end of my playing career came quick,’’ he said. “I was named joint captain at the start of the year and I was gone at the end of the year. And now as coach, three, four years after I was named AFL coach of the year, I’ve now got a whiff of what you just called blood.

“And I’ve got to be able to cope with that and I can cope with that OK. I’ve got strong support from everyone at the football club, I don’t have to worry about that, and at some stage, if they have to make a decision, it will be OK. “The greatest thing I’ve got is experience. I know what it looks like. I’m not surprised by what I’m hearing and seeing. “Did I ever think it was not going to come my way? I’d be a fool to think that, but I would like to make sure it goes away as quick as it possibly can.

looks like KT is backing him all the way.

Great article from Robbo giving a little bit more detail on the review that happened last year. Ken certainly seems to have gone about it the right way to turn things around.

The last bit of Robbo's article is interesting on what the club thought after 2013 season.

It is said premiership teams coach themselves and Port was miles from that. Maybe they made an error four years ago. Then, Hinkley, Phil Walsh and Allan Richardson were triumvirate in charge of a young, disjointed list. The club believed those three men had needed to lead the group and its culture. Then Walsh left for Adelaide, Richardson went to St Kilda, and arguably there was a lull in development on field. “Now, it’s grown up time and they (the players) were looking for it,’’ Thomas said.
As for Hinkley’s future, he has two years on a contract and heaps of enthusiasm on the table.“It’s not about Ken,’’ Thomas said. “It’s about the program. It’s about challenge and challenging again.’’

The last bit of Robbo's article is interesting on what the club thought after 2013 season.

It is said premiership teams coach themselves and Port was miles from that. Maybe they made an error four years ago. Then, Hinkley, Phil Walsh and Allan Richardson were triumvirate in charge of a young, disjointed list. The club believed those three men had needed to lead the group and its culture. Then Walsh left for Adelaide, Richardson went to St Kilda, and arguably there was a lull in development on field. “Now, it’s grown up time and they (the players) were looking for it,’’ Thomas said.
As for Hinkley’s future, he has two years on a contract and heaps of enthusiasm on the table.“It’s not about Ken,’’ Thomas said. “It’s about the program. It’s about challenge and challenging again.’’

It should be clear to everyone that the problem rests with the players not knowing what to do still and lacking that development. It wasn't so much an error with Hinkley, but an error with bringing in coaches who promised that they would stick it out with the side and then pissed off as soon as they got a senior coaching gig that they said they weren't interested in. Both of them using the knowledge they had gained about our players to ensure that they could plot to destroy them when they were crying out for development.

We went down a path of trying to supercharge the time it takes to teach players by getting the best assistants and it backfired because the best assistants usually get poached by struggling clubs. Guys like Nicks, Voss, Bassett and Lade are the second tier that might eventually be promoted from within at a club but not really be on the radar at other clubs.

You have to admire the honesty and transparency of Ken and the coaching staff, obviously it is a difficult and demanding position. With those sort of processes in place the only thing that will now be in question is the talent to achieve those expectations. That is why decisions will be made on the back of any non performance. Personally i wish Ken all the best not only for his sake but for the clubs sake.

Finally we might see a post season doco one day - hopefully post flag that has real warts and all.

External expertise also addressed the coaches and that included analytical assessment, skill development and leadership education. One result is now Port’s coaching meetings are taped and reviewed which Hinkley described as confronting. “Bloody oath it is. And it’s not just me, it’s all of us, we’ve got to be prepared to own that space,’’ he said.

“If we are going to better, that’s a conversation you have to be prepared to have. If I’m going to be a better match-day coach I’ve got to be able to have the confrontation about, well, at the moment you probably lose control in the box too much at times. “I would’ve said I’m like 17 other coaches in the box, but can’t any longer accept that as an excuse. I’m going to do everything I can right through the summer to try to make that change.’’ He said no one could be denial: “You have to admit weakness and cop it.’

Did any potential premier worth its salt ever have a loss like the 6-goal hiding at the hands of bottom-placed Brisbane in 2015? A side we rolled by 20 goals the year before and would smash by 100 at the Gabba the year after?

If we're honest, that that actually happened tells us all we need to know about those in the coaches box that day and whether they'll take us to the promised land.

That was a lapse. We never seemed in it. It happens to every team. No issue to me.

The Carlton losses concern me more.

Sent from mTalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I feel like Ken Hinkley only ever had one game plan and it got figured out by the opposition in 2015. Now he does not know what to do, or cannot articulate what to do. You tend to lose people when you are not clear or they do not completely understand what is needed of them.

That was a lapse. We never seemed in it. It happens to every team. No issue to me.

The Carlton losses concern me more.

Sent from mTalk

Carlton was 21 vs 18 and we still should've fallen in regardless of our awfulness.

Brisbane 2015 was like getting pantsed by the Roys and save for that win over Hawthorn we haven't been a legitimate threat since.

Ken prematurely altered the gameplan in 2015 in expectation of it being figured out and it has never worked consistently and cohesively since.

Sent from mTalk

Carlton was 21 vs 18 and we still should've fallen in regardless of our awfulness.

Brisbane 2015 was like getting pantsed by the Roys and save for that win over Hawthorn we haven't been a legitimate threat since.

We should've beaten Carlton every time since Ken took over. * we even managed to pull their pants down in 2012. We were never in the Brisbane game and some may see that as worse but I think that just happens sometimes. We were in the Carlton games. We should've won. To lose them isn't just football. Even the Richmond H&A games of 13 - 15.

The Brisbane game was a game we dropped. The other games felt like we went out of our way to lose. The lions game was a blip on the radar of our recent ruin vs them, as it beating Carlton.

Sent from mTalk

Last edited:
Losing to Freo last year and being 54-0 down v Syd said it all to me. By the end of 2016 to have 4 (?) wins at AO
and when was the last time we won a close game. We need to win the games we should and then more than our
share v other wannabe teams C/wood Richm'd Nth Melb Essendon St Kilda GCS WCE and Melb as well as the neighbours.
Do'able but right now less confident than a month ago.

Did any potential premier worth its salt ever have a loss like the 6-goal hiding at the hands of bottom-placed Brisbane in 2015? A side we rolled by 20 goals the year before and would smash by 100 at the Gabba the year after?

If we're honest, that that actually happened tells us all we need to know about those in the coaches box that day and whether they'll take us to the promised land.
Carlton 1995. Carlton only lost 2 games that year, first V/AFL side to win 20 games in the home and away season. They went back to back 10 goal loses in Rd 8 and 9. First against the reigning wooden spooners Swans at the SCG on a Friday night, I was there with a couple Carlton mates who were pissed off because when the swans were s**t they always played well against the blues and had regular upset victories. The swans weren't bottom about 12th but with only 1 more win and better percentage than St Kilda and Fitzroy. At end of Rd 8 the saints went to the bottom, only 1 win and less percentage than Fitzroy and then proceeded to smash the blues in the wet at Waverley Park.

Then the media jumped on the blues as in 1993 they had a terrible grand final being smashed by the bombers and then went out in straight sets in 1994 finals. But the Blues leaders and Parkin and co said enough is enough, we cant let what happened the last 2 years happen again and they steeled themselves and never lost again that season. it was a good kick up the arse and they dealt with it.

Carlton 1995. Carlton only lost 2 games that year, first V/AFL side to win 20 games in the home and away season. They went back to back 10 goal loses in Rd 8 and 9. First against the reigning wooden spooners Swans at the SCG on a Friday night, I was there with a couple Carlton mates who were pissed off because when the swans were s**t they always played well against the blues and had regular upset victories. The swans weren't bottom about 12th but with only 1 more win and better percentage than St Kilda and Fitzroy. At end of Rd 8 the saints went to the bottom, only 1 win and less percentage than Fitzroy and then proceeded to smash the blues in the wet at Waverley Park.

Then the media jumped on the blues as in 1993 they had a terrible grand final being smashed by the bombers and then went out in straight sets in 1994 finals. But the Blues leaders and Parkin and co said enough is enough, we cant let what happened the last 2 years happen again and they steeled themselves and never lost again that season. it was a good kick up the arse and they dealt with it.

I remember. Sydney's best that night included Lockett - who kicked a bag - and that year's Brownlow Medallist in Paul Kelly. The Swans were also less than 18 months away from winning a minor premiership and being 4 goals up in a Grand Final.

St Kilda were in a similar boat. Loewe. Harvey. Burke. 2 years away from a minor premiership and a near matchwinning lead on the last Saturday in September.

18 months on from their pantsing of us, if Brisbane don't prop up the entire table this year it'll be a miracle.

So what Tribey is saying is don't flog Carlton or we'll fall in a heap on Grand Final day?

That's a new angle that I can get behind.

Sent from mTalk

If Ken does get the sack, what're the chances he will stay on as a head of coaching or assistant role? I like him, the kind of guy I think every club needs. Head coaching just might not be his thing.

Has a coach ever been sacked and stayed at the club?

We've been heading further and further south as a football team for a good two years now. Anyone who thinks we are anything but a mediocre team is kidding themselves. Given the expected improvement of some of the teams around us on the ladder, we are looking at being 12th-15th cannon fodder unless things change drastically.

If Ken does get the sack, what're the chances he will stay on as a head of coaching or assistant role? I like him, the kind of guy I think every club needs. Head coaching just might not be his thing.

Has a coach ever been sacked and stayed at the club?
Geof Motley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back