Traded Izak Rankine traded to Adelaide with #46 & F4 (Freo) for #5, F3 & F4

Remove this Banner Ad

Rankine my favourite player btw, still enjoy watching his junior highlights.

Personally, I feel people are too critical about Rankine. This was his basically second season as he struggled with his body early. Every game he got best small defender assigned to him. Combine that with midfield on the back foot in most games resulting in poor deliveries inside 50. Yes, he started to struggle after bye. I re-watched most games and some of Rankine's deliveries, vision were fantastic. As Suns improve (hopefully) Rankine should shine.
Another bad year will be fatal for this group
I would say not fatal for the group but definitely for Dew :p

Personally, I feel people are too critical about Rankine. This was his basically second season as he struggled with his body early. Every game he got best small defender assigned to him. Combine that with midfield on the back foot in most games resulting in poor deliveries inside 50. Yes, he started to struggle after bye. I re-watched most games and some of Rankine's deliveries, vision were fantastic. As Suns improve (hopefully) Rankine should shine.

I would say not fatal for the group but definitely for Dew :p
Agreed, Rankine is going beautifully, he is a wizard.

Dew is a winner, he'll get them going this year surely.

No matter what happens I think he’s going to end up overpaid for doing very little. Time will tell if he can live up to the hype but it feels like Wingard 2.0 with tickets on himself.

Wingard had two AA jumpers and a club B&F in his first four years in the AFL. Reckon it is pretty unfair to compare him to Rankine who has done nothing.

Headline says it all
Get payed sh*t loads to live on the gold coast with no local media scrutiny go out when you want hardly get recognised.
Perfect climate
or go play in Adelaide.
I don’t blame him at all for reasons you’ve just stated. He’d be better off at Port than Adelaide anyway because multiple ex players reckon Crows underpay players

I feel that of the three (Luko, King and Rankine) Rankine is both the most likely to leave and the one the Suns can afford to let go.

He's got all the talent in the world but the Suns are never going to want for lack of talent. They need people who are going to bust arse and build that culture.

If he wants out and you can get another top 10-15 pick for him then you move on and grab the next one.
Lol

I've got the Suns finishing 8th this year. Not a popular opinion but the talent there entering their 3rd and 4th years is ridiculous.
It's the 5th and 6th years that you see the real step up in consistency, maturity and output.

At least that's what I tell myself after Carlton's draftees from 3-4 years ago haven't done much ;)

Don't blame him, Gold Coast (as a city) is paradise compared to Adelaide.

Get the feeling Rankine is one of those player who is not obsessed about winning or going home, loves/enjoys the lifestyle of Gold Coast ans staying out of the intrusive media spotlight in cities like Adelaide and Melbourne.

Think Lukosisus is the one most likely to leave.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't blame him, Gold Coast (as a city) is paradise compared to Adelaide.

Get the feeling Rankine is one of those player who is not obsessed about winning or going home, loves/enjoys the lifestyle of Gold Coast ans staying out of the intrusive media spotlight in cities like Adelaide and Melbourne.

Think Lukosisus is the one most likely to leave.
So you've never actually been to Adelaide then...

I don’t blame him at all for reasons you’ve just stated. He’d be better off at Port than Adelaide anyway because multiple ex players reckon Crows underpay players
Dawson wouldn't agree.

Crows have far more cap space than Port, given we are in a rebuild & Port are contending.

Neither club will overpay like Gold Coast.

We have Rachele now so not a big priority.

Dawson wouldn't agree.

Crows have far more cap space than Port, given we are in a rebuild & Port are contending.

Neither club will overpay like Gold Coast.

We have Rachele now so not a big priority.

Dawson? He has never lived here.

Dawson? He has never lived here.
The comment was made that Port offer returning players more than the Crows..
So it's not really hard to follow that the Crows have more cap space than Port to use given their respective lists.

Any way, I reckon Rankine stays.

Normally one of the better Crows posters imo but yeah he quoted me and I got lost with this too.
You said we underpay returning players.

Dawson who returned is on good money, so your comment is strange given how much cap space we have with the most inexperienced list.

Having current available cap space and being cheap over an extended period of time are two different topics.

The past couple years I imagine have been some of the worst in the Crows history because the Crows I remember over the last 15 years or so have always been at worse a middling or finals club and not renown for bottoming out. So not surprised you can finally overpay players.
Name me the players we have been "cheap" to? We just don't have a history of paying crazy overs like some sides.

There is a difference. We signed up Mitch McGovern to $550K ish pa & then Carlton offered him $800K pa... so we let him leave... when we were in a premiership window.

Clearly if a side has the talent to be in the premiership window, there is less ability to pay more for a traded in player than a rebuilding side.

We have far more room now in our cap & it allowed us to offer good money to Dawson. This wouldn't have been possible in 2017 when we were hunting for a flag.

Ps. We offered Dangerfield far more money to stay than the Cats did.

The comment was made that Port offer returning players more than the Crows..
So it's not really hard to follow that the Crows have more cap space than Port to use given their respective lists.

Any way, I reckon Rankine stays.

The way you wrote that post was hard to understand. Made it sound like Dawson prefers the Adelaide lifestyle to the Gold Coast when he has never even lived here or was choosing between us.

He is staying, has said as much. I have always gotten this vibe from him too, he's a pretty head strong independent kid.

The way you wrote that post was hard to understand. Made it sound like Dawson prefers the Adelaide lifestyle to the Gold Coast when he has never even lived here or was choosing between us.

He is staying, has said as much. I have always gotten this vibe from him too, he's a pretty head strong independent kid.
He was responding to a poster who said Rankine will choose Port because the Crows underpay.

That was literally the post he quoted in his response. I don't see how he could have been clearer.

Everyone knows you offered Dangerflog more money. Guess he’s an exception to the rule.

Rhett Biglands and Wayne Carey are two who’ve called out the crows for long term underpaying players, though.
Post me a link.

Crows don't pay ridiculous overs, but that doesn't mean we underpay either.

You don't seem to understand the difference, which is strange since the Cats have a similar model.

I expect you have nothing.

Umm, crows play their players the exact amount as every other team, it's called a salary cap.
What happens is a club wants to poach a player so they offer overs on long contracts to leave. Now, the Crows don't like to pay overs, and on long contracts. But sure, you can call that paying unders if you like.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back