Player Watch Jack Madgen (Delisted 2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

Madge is definitely not in the side for his good looks. He reminds me of our players of the 1920s and 1930s, who were not pretty boys. Those old team photos of tough looking guys, itching to rip into you, from the Abbotsford gene pool of hard work and survival. Love it.

If you superimposed him into our 4 peat team photos he would fit right in that's for sure.

Coming along nicely. I think he is quite agile, so could become one of those "Dylan Grimes" type defenders who can play on a tall or a small. Not sure he'll ever play on the monsters, but looks a very nice compliment to Moore and Roughead. He is slowly finding a more offensive side to his game as well. Whether he can hold his spot with a fit Howe and Langdon remains to be seen. But he is doing a very nice job for us right now.

Hasn’t yet matched the marking and run and carry we’ve seen at VFL level yet so I think there’s a lot more upside to him yet. People are talking about him being squeezed out by Langdon if he’s back this week or soon but I wouldn’t be averse to pushing Madge up into Mayne’s spot on a wing if Langers is up for senior selection.

With Madge I keep thinking of the beautiful Rob Snarski song (of Black Eyed Susan's fame) about footy, 'No 44'. Think it was written in honour of his Dad. Listen to the lyrics, its a ripper.

I like him. We nearly ruined his career when we would bring him in and have him play on Buddy. Plays a role on the right type of forward... hopefully he can give us more offence as he develops.

I was having this thought today as well regarding the start of his career and the games v Sydney. We threw him under the bus without a doubt. Quite enjoying his development this year while he's not playing the key defender role.

I've been saying to my mates the last few games that he simply does not get beaten in a 1 on 1 contest.

I would have him down as most improved easily, except I think Daicos will win that (and rightly so, he has jumped significant levels this year).

I was having this thought today as well regarding the start of his career and the games v Sydney. We threw him under the bus without a doubt.

You’re right, everyone was way too harsh on him for his debut considering the circumstances.
We didn’t throw him under by design though, we just literally had no one left. He was behind Dunn,Moore, Howe and Scharenberg a couple of weeks earlier and suddenly they were all gone. Goldy was still a few weeks off too. Madge was all of a sudden our number 1 key defender!
It was just a perfect storm of events that ended with a debutant on a hiding to nothing on Buddy, with Mihocek in his 7th or 8th game swung back for support.
Amazing we ended up playing off that year when you think about it. If one of Dunn or Moore had been fit in September it might just have been enough...

I've been saying to my mates the last few games that he simply does not get beaten in a 1 on 1 contest.

I would have him down as most improved easily, except I think Daicos will win that (and rightly so, he has jumped significant levels this year).

You've been complimenting Madge in front of your mates? And they still talk to you?

And can play
Big or small
When all settled
We go with a back 7
Roughy, Howe, magden, crisp, Maynard quaynour and Moore
Picks itself

And can play
Big or small
When all settled
We go with a back 7
Roughy, Howe, magden, crisp, Maynard quaynour and Moore
Picks itself

I think Noble definitely needs to be included in there. His improvement is just as impressive.

On Madge, he's definitely proving me wrong. Ive said mature age guys need to come in and contribute immediately (like the Mihocek's, Tim Kelly's, Tom Stewart's, Michael Barlow's etc). Otherwise you might as well develop a younger kid with more potential.

He's taken a few games to get into it (as has Noble), but now looking like a senior 70+ game experienced player and playing with confidence and not looking to shirk responsibility when it's his turn to demand the ball and drive the ball forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it's always great to see supporters supporting a player but...

Madge still looks like he is trying too hard... it's just way uncool and....

The cool posters on BF are still unconvinced about the Madge. That is the reality and I dont think it will ever change. We need to drop him when Howe comes back

I think it's always great to see supporters supporting a player but...

Madge still looks like he is trying too hard... it's just way uncool and....

The cool posters on BF are still unconvinced about the Madge. That is the reality and I dont think it will ever change. We need to drop him when Howe comes back

Are you the spokesperson for the cool posters? We’re probably ok with that, but we didn’t get a chance to vote. Anyway, good to see you holding up your end with criticism of Madge. He seems to have fooled the coaches and his teammates into thinking he can play. He gets selected every week! It sure is a mystery. I think the match committee need to read this thread, so that they see the real Madge.

is it any wonder players like madge, noble and checkers have been great players.

Not gifted anything and worked their asses off for it.

Credit to madge, thrown to wolves against buddy out of position, finds his spot and owns it.i know of 4 players in the team could learn a lot from this bloke.

Are you the spokesperson for the cool posters? We’re probably ok with that, but we didn’t get a chance to vote. Anyway, good to see you holding up your end with criticism of Madge. He seems to have fooled the coaches and his teammates into thinking he can play. He gets selected every week! It sure is a mystery. I think the match committee need to read this thread, so that they see the real Madge.

If you remember the fable of the emperor's new clothes. I can retell it here if you like...

as for the cool posters, I am but a student. I try hard....which is my major problem. The other one of course is my lack of mongrel.

The cool guys would never associate with anything relating to madge - even to discuss him....maybe to kick him a few times.

as for the cool posters, I am but a student. I try hard....which is my major problem. The other one of course is my lack of mongrel.

The cool guys would never associate with anything relating to madge - even to discuss him....maybe to kick him a few times.

I think all your good work on Madge has been wasted. It might be time to turn your attention elsewhere. That horse has bolted. He's turned into a well-respected player. Who'd have thunk it?

What about Noble? He's another player who started off being unpopular and now, bafflingly, is winning respect. Which might be because he is playing very well in trying circumstances. He is also called John, which should give you something to work with. Good luck with your future endeavours.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back