tim_saints

Premiership Player
Jul 16, 2008
Wonga Park
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles - MUFC
Honestly as a saints fan I'm sick of Jack Steven not getting the credit he deserves, Zach Merrett is another great young player but in recent conversations with Essendon fans they seem to think that Zach would walk into the Saints midfield and take the number one mantle which I flat out disagree with.

My argument is that Steven has an overall bigger impact on the game with his possessions/clearances and the fact he is a goal kicker, Zach Merrett is an accumulator and a big one but his possessions don't necessarily win you games whereas Jacks do have that impact.

You're comparing a 26 year old to a 21 year old.

Give Merrett a few more years before you try comparing.
Well that was the comparison given to me in conversation which I disagreed with..... never would have been brought up had it never been said.

Jack Stevens is an A-grader for sure, but Stevens will be 27 at the start of the season and has 8 seasons under his belt. Merrett is 21 and has 3 seasons. That's a big gap in age.

The fact that they are comparable in output is a good thing for Merrett.

A bit of an odd comparison.

A. 6 year age gap, makes no sense
B. Take it to the polls board like everyone else

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well if the question is 'Who is the better player?' then I'm taking Steven for the upcoming season. Merrett will more than likely move ahead in future years.

I'm thinking that Merrett can overtake Steven this year. 4th year now for Merrett and has started off with a bang with 37 touches, proving once again that he's the real deal. Merrett has one significant edge over Steven - his kicking is simply miles better. Steven is a bit quicker and wins more contested ball but Merrett wins his own ball and then also gets loose and wins a ton of possessions full stop (I think he had the highest possession rate for a 20 year old ever last season or something like that).

Back