List Mgmt. Jeremy Cameron traded to Geelong

What will happen with Cameron?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

It's really not a distraction at all, the players and coaches have almost nothing to do with recruitment and list management, and list management have almost nothing to do with gameday performance and preparation.
This reminds me of when some geezer on here says "The Cats are a shoe in to win this one" and someone else pops in with "Don't get carried away, this attitude will be our downfall" as if a supporters mentality influences the result in any way. Likewise what the recruitment department are doing will be so far from any players focus, even if you had somebody with the newspaper article screaming the words out as they were having their morning cornflakes. They've got much bigger fish to fry and if they play poorly it will have nothing to do with this news story.

Bands 2+4 are end of round (1st and 2nd rounds respectively)
Bands 1+3+5 are given straight after that clubs pick before traded, tied to ladder position (1st/2nd/3rd rounds respectively)

So crows finish 18th, have pick 1, get pick 2.

GWS finish 10th, have pick 9, get pick 10.

They had pick8 but they traded it to adel.
So if cameron and williams were both band 1 they would get 9 and 10. But otherwise you are correct.

To be fair though, Brian Cook said a few days ago that Geelong were really into JC. I don't know why he would have said that (part of a strategy to demonstrate to JC that we were deadly serious?) and of course GWS had to respond publicly to their supporters. I don't think GWS can be blamed for reacting as they have.

Agreed.

Wouldn’t trade sav

If I was wells I’d say:

Precedent set at danger RFA trade.

But Cameron is older coming off a worse year.

Won’t be playing with pies so no threat of going elsewhere.

He has given 10 years of great service you should not get in his way and We suggest you take pick 9 as compo

but given we understand how hard it is losing gun players (Ablett, Kelly), we feel it’s right to offer something slightly better than pick 9, but not full value

That offer is either:

1) pick 11 and pick 18
2) pick 11 + 33 + one of Constable/narkle for Cameron + 46

However if you don’t accept, you will need to take the risk of getting nothing. The risk we will engineer it a different way and potentially up his contract so you cannot match

You have until the first day of FA to decide. If you don’t accept we may just up his contract a little and you can’t match and you’re left with just pick 9 and egg on your face.

You won’t be getting better

Not bad. Id like to think we would be able to work out how much room they have in their cap. Losing Corr and Williams and Cameron ... but other contracts are probably loaded... so hard to work out exactly. .. but if we load it to our max can they match? I doubt it but it would have to be a big offer for two years ..and that would mean going over Joel... so can we do that?

It's really not a distraction at all, the players and coaches have almost nothing to do with recruitment and list management, and list management have almost nothing to do with gameday performance and preparation.

Dow we see Cameron talking to GWS before telling Geelong that he would accept their offer? ..No I cant see that... so the first thing he would have done is to ring SW and say Im in...

so then if Geelong are worried about this affecting them..he would tell Cameron... OK great..dont tell anyone till after the GF.

so he had to have gone to GWS with Geelongs blessing

I reckon we have the cap space to offer more than GWS would be prepared to match. With Cogs and Kellys deal they wont want to risk another long term $1million+ deal. Otherwise there list will have the best three players in the comp and then a bunch of former NEAFL players running around getting spanked every week in about 2-3 years.

Offer them two firsts, they're useless this year anyway, if they dont want it restructure the deal so GWS cant match. We have a number of players who will be coming up for contract renewal soon and all will be on veteran money at that point and a few others will be heading into retirement, you could structure JC's deal to be backended and not risk any other moves we might want to make.

I think GWS are talking tough for the "fans" now but they know it's done. Parfitt, Clark et al wont be moving. Lets just be thankful we are dealing with GWS the club and not the muppets that post on their board...I swear there is a better chance of me dating Emilia Clarke than there is for some of the stuff they're suggesting to happen. (Emilia if you read this, cause why wouldn't you be hanging out on the Geelong board, DM me)

Dow we see Cameron talking to GWS before telling Geelong that he would accept their offer? ..No I cant see that... so the first thing he would have done is to ring SW and say Im in...

so then if Geelong are worried about this affecting them..he would tell Cameron... OK great..dont tell anyone till after the GF.

so he had to have gone to GWS with Geelongs blessing

Mmm I'm not entirely sure about that. It's also a big possibility that Cameron told GWS, and they leaked it, because they were pissed off. We've then just tried to control the narrative, rather than create a bigger furore over it.

GWS as a whole seem ok, but Dave Matthews seems like a right knob - and this seems like a lot of the narrative is being driven by him. The whole saga with Wayne Campbell is evidence of this

Last edited:
GWS asking for Simpson, dream on. Sav on the other hand + maybe Clark and a pick? For JC? Mmm that's probably a decent upgrade, for the next few years anyway. 2 picks and 2 players? That's starting to get painful.

I think there's a good chance Sav will turn into a pretty good footballer in the years to come, he's only played 30-odd games so far, but for continued success in the immediate years to come, JC fits the bill both footy-wise and attracting media attention and the bucks that go along with it, making us a 'destination club' and all that other marketing stuff. Most importantly the thought of not one but two Coleman medallists lining up for the Cats next season would be a frightening proposition for any opposition if they both find form :shoutyoldman:

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not bad. Id like to think we would be able to work out how much room they have in their cap. Losing Corr and Williams and Cameron ... but other contracts are probably loaded... so hard to work out exactly. .. but if we load it to our max can they match? I doubt it but it would have to be a big offer for two years ..and that would mean going over Joel... so can we do that?

We can but whether we will i dont know.

Honestly i would go to like something like 1.2PA for 2-3years then sign him for a lower figure later on for years 3-6. Dissuades a match.

We can but whether we will i dont know.

Honestly i would go to like something like 1.2PA for 2-3years then sign him for a lower figure later on for years 3-6. Dissuades a match.

I was adding up our offer for JazC plus Crouch money plus a bit ... 1.5M for two years and then balance ... a Sword of Damocles arrangement ... then offer them an alternative.

One first round draft pick and one second.

Definite no's to Clark and Ratagolea.

Yes to Fogarty, Parsons, Z Guthrie, Atkins, Brownless

Maybe to Dahlhaus, Close, Constable.

That said, GWS has the stronger hand. If Jeremy is firm about going into the draft if he doesn't get to Geelong that may change.

I was adding up our offer for JazC plus Crouch money plus a bit ... 1.5M for two years and then balance ... a Sword of Damocles arrangement ... then offer them an alternative.

Fair point.

One first round draft pick and one second.

Definite no's to Clark and Ratagolea.

Yes to Fogarty, Parsons, Z Guthrie, Atkins, Brownless

Maybe to Dahlhaus, Close, Constable.

That said, GWS has the stronger hand. If Jeremy is firm about going into the draft if he doesn't get to Geelong that may change.

Also depends if any players from our end are willing to go.

From the Hun:

Geelong has no plans to stump up multiple first round picks in a Jeremy Cameron trade, setting up nervous wait

Greater Western Sydney could risk losing Jeremy Cameron for nothing in the draft if the Giants stand on their heels in demanding a suitable trade with Geelong.
The Giants want to strike a deal for Cameron in a trade with Geelong and will either demand a quality young senior player or multiple early draft picks.

But the Cats have no plans to trade for Cameron and instead believe pick No. 10 as free agency compensation is adequate under the AFL’s rules.

A lot of people in here thought we overpaid for Danger. Laughable.

As a trade? who could say we over paid As a Free Agent that you should get for zip..like how Rich got Lynch...then yes we paid more than we had to. ...but its about who you are dealing with and what room you have in cap etc etc.. Its the total deal

I don’t think they can match. They’d need the $ and I don’t think they do.

I do see a scenario of Geelong being the nice guys. But that doesn’t mean handing over what gws demand.

All we need to offer is something marginally more than the compo, but not market value given he’s a free agent. That’s what we did with danger. 1 first round and a second round (with some later stuff).

For Cameron, that equates to about 13 + 18. That’s it.

I think the 11 would go into that deal... it lines up neatly with the comp pick. ..but generally thats for geelong to work out ..as you say ..how much good guys they want to be.

It seem such a waste to let comp go ..but maybe its too difficult to arrange a side deal that would stand up to oversight.

The key to me is now they do not have to allow for Crouch they could offer a lot more that hopefully they could not match. Something like 1.5M for two years would be enough one would think. Then they take comp.. and perhaps we look at a side deal of some sort. ...

Back