Preview JLT Series, Game 2 - Richmond vs Hawthorn - Saturday 9th of March, 7:10pm, UTAS

Remove this Banner Ad

Would've been nice to have a good hit out rather than playing the bunnies. Getting a confidence boost is one thing but being dragged down to the pet memberships standard of footy didn't serve us to well in the finals last year. :(

need to rest dusty

give bolton and naish a go. reckon we should try nank ruck most of the game with balta the one taking it occasionally, soldo out. maybe play ccj for a quarter

dusty should never go for aerial marks again. know dimmer says he needs to improve that but it's why he barely gets injured, doesn't jump. just continue using his beastyness on the ground

I'm heading over on Friday for it. In section CD7 wherever that may be. Will be most likely spending more time in St John Craft Beer Bar or Tandy Alehouse I would suggest :)
Haha. No doubt I'll see you then Frase!

You know who I'll be with!
Haere Ra

In: Bolton, Moore, CCJ, Naish, Chol

Not sure who I'd leave out.

I reckon Nank could be freshened up before Round 1, but he also could benefit from some more time playing forward. Seemed to work ok.

Ditto Bachar. The Old Bloke might benefit from a spell, but jeez he looked in great form. Might be better to let him roll.

Maybe Brando out for Bolton, Riewoldt out for Moore, Soldo out for CCJ, Short out for Naish, Rance for Chol

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...ould-help-tigers-improve-20190305-p511ru.html

Nick Vlastuin: New rule could help Tigers improve
1ecd3a876adb7de8d96940cb7ea548dcc28f9be6
By Peter Ryan
March 5, 2019 — 10.23am

The new six-six-six rule could be an advantage for Richmond as they look to atone for last year's preliminary final loss to Collingwood, according to premiership defender Nick Vlastuin.
The Tigers showed their ability against Melbourne in Shepparton on Sunday to rebound quickly off half-back once they intercepted the ball, with Bachar Houli and Jayden Short using their speed to break the game open in the second and third quarters.

Nick Vlastuin likes one-on-one contests, which the six-six-six rule is expected to highlight.Credit:Jason South
Richmond had 16 running bounces compared to Melbourne's two and Vlastuin said the Tigers had the confidence and ability to turn defence into attack and they were also prepared to surge forward quickly from stoppages.
"This six-six-six might actually help us because we have got a lot of strong runners who can carry [the ball up] the ground," Vlastuin said.

The Tigers also have explosive midfielders Dustin Martin, Trent Cotchin, Dion Prestia and Shane Edwards, who are likely to benefit from space the rule creates at centre bounces.
Champion Data has predicted that Richmond might be the team that needs to adjust their style of play the most under the new rule as the Tigers commonly set up two spare players behind the ball at centre bounces, which not only stopped the opposition from scoring but helped the Tigers surge the ball forward if they won first possession.
However Vlastuin said defenders also enjoyed the challenge of one-on-one contests and it made the game easier for players in some regards.
"I like the one-on-ones. It's when you are playing spare and you don't get to either contest ... that is when you feel like a goose," Vlastuin said.

"At least with one-on-one contests you are always kind of in it."
Richmond conceded the second fewest points last season and were the second most prolific scorers. The AFL hopes the new rule can help clubs score more.
The Tigers' defender said Richmond were still experimenting with what style of play to adopt under the new rules and he expected that to continue, with Sunday's game having thrown up some surprises.
"We're not really sure what it will look like at the end of the year," Vlastuin said.

"Maybe some coach will turn around and introduce something and everyone will be doing that."
Despite losing last year's preliminary final, the Tigers have dominated for most of the past two seasons, winning 37 of their past 49 games.
They also won their first JLT Community Series match against Melbourne - who also played in a preliminary final last year - on Sunday by 12 points.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...ules-this-year-says-judd-20190304-p511pw.html

Guns will thrive with new rules this year, says Judd
0838c86052b6f8e81760e9b00eb3c01d4833c810
By Jake Niall
March 4, 2019 — 7.07pm

Former Carlton and West Coast great Chris Judd believes the AFL's rule changes will advantage stars such as Patrick Dangerfield and Dustin Martin by giving them more space.
Judd also said that the premium on ruckmen had gone "through the roof'' and that the changes for this year had actually made the game more "traditional'', when such changes were usually opposed by traditionalists.

Chris Judd says the new rules are bringing the game back to a more traditional style.Credit:Sebastian Costanzo
"It's made it more traditional with new rules. That was a bloody good effort. Usually the new rules, traditionalists hate.''
Judd said the changes- designed by AFL football boss Steve Hocking after a year of investigation and consulting - were "outstanding''.

"So far, from the small sample size. I just think they've taken a lot of power away from the coaches and given it back to the players. I'm not sure if that was the desire, but it's going to happen.''
Judd's assessment - made at an AFL briefing he attended - expanded upon comments by AFL boss Gillon McLachlan, who felt that the JLT games to date had shown the rules - such as the six-six-six formation at centre bounces - would allow more space, "for all players, but clearly that means for stars to shine''.
McLachlan observed that Carlton's Patrick Cripps had been "totally dominant'' in the JLT game against Essendon.
Judd said the new rules, which include "six-six-six'' and allowing ruckmen to grab the ball from ruck contests with prior opportunity, would help the best players. "Good players love space and they love one-on-one contests and that's what really drifted out of our game in the mid-2000s, was having one opponent.
"The premium on ruckmen looks like it's gone through the roof,'' said the dual Brownlow medallist, who added that players could run forward themselves in centre bounces with the ball, rather than handballing. "Players that run forward now, as opposed to turning around and handball.''

Judd felt the guns such as Dangerfield and Martin – who could play forward and be isolated – would be most damaging in the centre. "I would have thought so. Because you're going to have one-on-one there [forward], but you've got to get it there, it's getting it in there seems to be [the priority].''

Richmond's Dustin Martin.Credit:Justin McManus
McLachlan acknowledged "one or two little teething problems" with the new rules, but felt that the midfielders and leading forwards were both afforded more space.
"I did notice that the midfielders, at the centre clearance, had time to be brilliant ... and then, I did notice leading forwards who seemed to have a bit more space and a bit more time.''
McLachlan said Hocking had decided to look at all rules together as a package, not each rule in isolation. "What I saw on the weekend was just bits of space that didn't exist before.''

I think against Hawthorn we need to play the team that is most likely to be our round 1 team to get the synergy going and to come out round 1 ready and tuned. Tom Lynch & Josh Caddy are really the only 2 players that most likely wont play in JLT2 and i still believe that Lynch will line up in round 1 but Caddy looking more unlikely.

Balta , RCD , Ross , CCJ & Soldo are a must as we need to have these boys ready asap and their development fast tracked is essential for depth throughout the year

Rather not see our main players line up for this one, they have had a good run over the weekend, thats enough.

IMO Dusty, Rance, Nank and Riewoldt will be rested.

Cotchin, Rioli, Prestia & Astbury will play

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...ould-help-tigers-improve-20190305-p511ru.html

By Peter Ryan
March 5, 2019 — 10.23am

The new six-six-six rule could be an advantage for Richmond as they look to atone for last year's preliminary final loss to Collingwood, according to premiership defender Nick Vlastuin.
The Tigers showed their ability against Melbourne in Shepparton on Sunday to rebound quickly off half-back once they intercepted the ball, with Bachar Houli and Jayden Short using their speed to break the game open in the second and third quarters.

Nick Vlastuin likes one-on-one contests, which the six-six-six rule is expected to highlight.Credit:Jason South
Richmond had 16 running bounces compared to Melbourne's two and Vlastuin said the Tigers had the confidence and ability to turn defence into attack and they were also prepared to surge forward quickly from stoppages.
"This six-six-six might actually help us because we have got a lot of strong runners who can carry [the ball up] the ground," Vlastuin said.

The Tigers also have explosive midfielders Dustin Martin, Trent Cotchin, Dion Prestia and Shane Edwards, who are likely to benefit from space the rule creates at centre bounces.
Champion Data has predicted that Richmond might be the team that needs to adjust their style of play the most under the new rule as the Tigers commonly set up two spare players behind the ball at centre bounces, which not only stopped the opposition from scoring but helped the Tigers surge the ball forward if they won first possession.
However Vlastuin said defenders also enjoyed the challenge of one-on-one contests and it made the game easier for players in some regards.
"I like the one-on-ones. It's when you are playing spare and you don't get to either contest ... that is when you feel like a goose," Vlastuin said.

Richmond conceded the second fewest points last season and were the second most prolific scorers. The AFL hopes the new rule can help clubs score more.
The Tigers' defender said Richmond were still experimenting with what style of play to adopt under the new rules and he expected that to continue, with Sunday's game having thrown up some surprises.
"We're not really sure what it will look like at the end of the year," Vlastuin said.

"Maybe some coach will turn around and introduce something and everyone will be doing that."
Despite losing last year's preliminary final, the Tigers have dominated for most of the past two seasons, winning 37 of their past 49 games.
They also won their first JLT Community Series match against Melbourne - who also played in a preliminary final last year - on Sunday by 12 points.
last time this goose opened his mouth we got flogged in the prelim

(Log in to remove this ad.)

By Peter Ryan
March 5, 2019 — 10.23am

Champion Data, Steven Hocking, Gil and Gerard Wankley do not like this

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...ules-this-year-says-judd-20190304-p511pw.html

By Jake Niall
March 4, 2019 — 7.07pm

Former Carlton and West Coast great Chris Judd believes the AFL's rule changes will advantage stars such as Patrick Dangerfield and Dustin Martin by giving them more space.
Judd also said that the premium on ruckmen had gone "through the roof'' and that the changes for this year had actually made the game more "traditional'', when such changes were usually opposed by traditionalists.

Chris Judd says the new rules are bringing the game back to a more traditional style.Credit:Sebastian Costanzo
"It's made it more traditional with new rules. That was a bloody good effort. Usually the new rules, traditionalists hate.''
Judd said the changes- designed by AFL football boss Steve Hocking after a year of investigation and consulting - were "outstanding''.

"So far, from the small sample size. I just think they've taken a lot of power away from the coaches and given it back to the players. I'm not sure if that was the desire, but it's going to happen.''
Judd's assessment - made at an AFL briefing he attended - expanded upon comments by AFL boss Gillon McLachlan, who felt that the JLT games to date had shown the rules - such as the six-six-six formation at centre bounces - would allow more space, "for all players, but clearly that means for stars to shine''.
McLachlan observed that Carlton's Patrick Cripps had been "totally dominant'' in the JLT game against Essendon.
Judd said the new rules, which include "six-six-six'' and allowing ruckmen to grab the ball from ruck contests with prior opportunity, would help the best players. "Good players love space and they love one-on-one contests and that's what really drifted out of our game in the mid-2000s, was having one opponent.
"The premium on ruckmen looks like it's gone through the roof,'' said the dual Brownlow medallist, who added that players could run forward themselves in centre bounces with the ball, rather than handballing. "Players that run forward now, as opposed to turning around and handball.''

Judd felt the guns such as Dangerfield and Martin – who could play forward and be isolated – would be most damaging in the centre. "I would have thought so. Because you're going to have one-on-one there [forward], but you've got to get it there, it's getting it in there seems to be [the priority].''

McLachlan acknowledged "one or two little teething problems" with the new rules, but felt that the midfielders and leading forwards were both afforded more space.
"I did notice that the midfielders, at the centre clearance, had time to be brilliant ... and then, I did notice leading forwards who seemed to have a bit more space and a bit more time.''
McLachlan said Hocking had decided to look at all rules together as a package, not each rule in isolation. "What I saw on the weekend was just bits of space that didn't exist before.''
Oh boy, does Gil the dill realise that every pre season game in every single year is full of space because the intensity is not there, mids had space because oppo mids were letting them, come season proper and those same oppo mids are crashing into those mids they let run free in JLT

B: Vlastuin Astbury Grimes
HB: Houli Rance Broad
C: Rioli Cotchin Ellis
HF: Weller Riewoldt Lambert
F: Higgins Nankervis Butler
R: Soldo Ross Prestia
INT: Edwards Short RCD Markov Graham Balta

This is the team I'd play on Saturday night. Effectively those in contention for round 1 minus Dusty who can have a week off to ensure he will be cherry ripe for the season proper and the injured Lynch & Caddy.

With 16 locks for round 1 in this side plus Martin & Lynch to come in it leaves:

Weller RCD Ross Markov & Graham to fight for 3 spots while Balta and Soldo go at it for the second ruck role, expect both to play round 1 if Lynch is unavailable.

By Jake Niall
March 4, 2019 — 7.07pm

Gil on the 6-6-6 new rule.

"I did notice that the midfielders, at the centre clearance, had time to be brilliant".

Remove this Banner Ad

Back