Recommitted Joel Amartey [signs 3 year deal]

Remove this Banner Ad

We would be crazy not to ask. Unless we have our sights set on Georgiades.
Like most clubs we’d have irons in a few fires, and there’s money to be had with so much cap space.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not sure why there's so much chatter around Amartey. I suppose it's because he hasn't re-signed yet.

I can't see why we'd let him go or why he'd want to go unless it's a 'go home' factor. We have at least as much need for him as any other club and plenty of cap space to pay him. He'll also have plenty of opportunity - with Buddy retiring (I think that's pretty much a certainty but he probably won't say so until after the season is done) - he's our best KPF after McDonald.

I think the issue might be what he's worth and that he is wanting the opportunity to put some runs on the board and get a bigger contract which is why he's delaying putting pen to paper (or whatever they do these days). On the one hand he will be our #2 KPF; on the other hand he's less than 20 games and 20 goals into his career and has a history of being injured. It's tricky to value him fairly. Is he worth $300K pa or $600K pa? I think he probably has to take a shorter contract and get a few more runs on the board before properly cashing in.

I'm not sure why there's so much chatter around Amartey. I suppose it's because he hasn't re-signed yet.

I can't see why we'd let him go or why he'd want to go unless it's a 'go home' factor. We have at least as much need for him as any other club and plenty of cap space to pay him. He'll also have plenty of opportunity - with Buddy retiring (I think that's pretty much a certainty but he probably won't say so until after the season is done) - he's our best KPF after McDonald.

I think the issue might be what he's worth and that he is wanting the opportunity to put some runs on the board and get a bigger contract which is why he's delaying putting pen to paper (or whatever they do these days). On the one hand he will be our #2 KPF; on the other hand he's less than 20 games and 20 goals into his career and has a history of being injured. It's tricky to value him fairly. Is he worth $300K pa or $600K pa? I think he probably has to take a shorter contract and get a few more runs on the board before properly cashing in.
I think the feeling is that the Swans might throw big money at a Buddy replacement this year, and Amartey reads the writing on the wall.

I think the feeling is that the Swans might throw big money at a Buddy replacement this year, and Amartey reads the writing on the wall.

Rather than reading tea leaves or writing on the wall, Joel might put some more effort into his fitness.

I've got two issues with that explanation:

1. Amartey will have to make a decision before he likely finds out the answer to that question during trade period.

2. Even if we do get a 'Buddy replacement' there is still room for a 3rd tall alongside the Buddy replacement and McDonald and I reckon a fit and in form Amartey is in front of McLean for that spot (especially because he offers the better ruck relief).

Is fitness an issue for him?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Yes. It certainly has been. For years he would consistently finish last in all our time trials. Lachie McAndrews does better than him. Not sure if there is anyone slower than him in time trials even still. But time trials aren't the be all and end all, even when it comes to fitness.

1. Amartey will have to make a decision before he likely finds out the answer to that question during trade period.

2. Even if we do get a 'Buddy replacement' there is still room for a 3rd tall alongside the Buddy replacement and McDonald and I reckon a fit and in form Amartey is in front of McLean for that spot (especially because he offers the better ruck relief).
I don't think you need to trade for a "Buddy replacement". Amartey with the Macca's will be a very good combo with Buller as depth.

I'm sure you know more than me, but it seems from the outside the Joel has been alternately injured and lacking opportunity.

One thing I do know is that no forward wants to play in the ruck.

I'm sure you know more than me, but it seems from the outside the Joel has been alternately injured and lacking opportunity.

One thing I do know is that no forward wants to play in the ruck.

He has had injuries. I don't think he has lacked that much opportunity, at least not until last year when he started to show very good form in the reserves but couldn't get a regular game at senior level. Arguably before that he was given opportunities before he was really ready when injuries struck and gave him an opening. This year we've been happy to give him the opportunity and only his injuries have held him back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back