Recommitted Joel Amartey [signs 3 year deal]

Remove this Banner Ad

steve buscemi people to kill GIF

I'm not sure why there's so much chatter around Amartey. I suppose it's because he hasn't re-signed yet.

I can't see why we'd let him go or why he'd want to go unless it's a 'go home' factor. We have at least as much need for him as any other club and plenty of cap space to pay him. He'll also have plenty of opportunity - with Buddy retiring (I think that's pretty much a certainty but he probably won't say so until after the season is done) - he's our best KPF after McDonald.

I think the issue might be what he's worth and that he is wanting the opportunity to put some runs on the board and get a bigger contract which is why he's delaying putting pen to paper (or whatever they do these days). On the one hand he will be our #2 KPF; on the other hand he's less than 20 games and 20 goals into his career and has a history of being injured. It's tricky to value him fairly. Is he worth $300K pa or $600K pa? I think he probably has to take a shorter contract and get a few more runs on the board before properly cashing in.

I feel vindicated. I think he cashed in by getting a longer contract. I'm happy with that. Has shown enough and we give him a modest contract with a big incentive for games played. You'd think he's best 22 from next season, even if we bring in someone else. And if not, he's very handy depth. Wouldn't have wanted to lose him, and didn't expect to.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back