Player Watch Jordan De Goey (Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Degoey is clearly doing most peoples heads in. He definitely hasn't got anywhere near the best out of himself. People bang on about him being a match winner but I reckon I could count on one hand the amount of games he has won for us. In addition to his perceived lack of drive I reckon there are a few other issues that rarely get raised.

- His hands are not very good. He fumbles so often and drops way too many marks above his head. The best players are 1 touch,he is not! I have long felt this will hold him back from being elite
- His kicking is not nearly as good as people think. Sure when he nails them they look great(A bit like the rest of his game) but he misses too many goals and when he has the ball up the ground misses alot of targets
- He is not the best a great decision maker. He shots for goal when he is a really bad spot, when he has it in traffic he holds onto if for to long and he often get caught with the ball.

I think before of the explosive way he plays he has seduced alot of people into believing he is the next Dusty, Danger etc. Because of the explosive attributes he will also have the odd game where he looks like a star but at the end of the game I think he is missing tools that will also hold im back from being a gun. Combine this with his perceived lack of drive and your not going to get a very reliable player.

We won’t accept two second round picks

We got 2 second round picks for a much better player this year and pay $300k a year of his salary. If Degoeys form does not improve this year based on his form for 3 years one 2nd rounder is all he is work. Why would anyone pay more than that for a bloke who can't even finish in the top 10 in our bnf?

I hope your right. I would take NM’s 2021 pick 20 and their equivalent early 2nd rd pick next year and run.

He's contracted so they'll need to pay high to entice us to agree to a trade. Can't see that it could happen without their top 10 1st round pick being part of the discussion. If they don't like it they can wait till the following year and lure him across as a RFA.

Most rational posters are comparing the potential of JDG to that of Martin, certainly not the performance.

I don't think he has quite the same potential as I don't think he could ever match Martin's agility and endurance. However, as a forward goal kicker I think he has very similar potential (say if Dusty played as a sole forward) and the reason I say this is because we have seen Jordy's ability to absolutely smash a game to pieces and win games off his own boot. He actually has a good record in big games and finals too (when he can get on the park).

The problem with Jordy is that he just can't do it consistently for whatever reason - be that fitness, application, desire or.......?

If he could ever get that consistency he would be a gun forward and worth the pay packet.

p.s. I think he lacks the running endurance to be anything other than a pinch hit midfielder (it's win it in a contest or nothing for him).

Martin is an unfair comparison on any parameter. The most like for like player league wide is Stringer. Both were guns at 22 in teams that made it to the big dance, but haven’t gone on from there.

From my perspective both Stringer and JDG are old school full forwards, playing in the modern game, without anywhere near the forward craft of the old school full forward and constantly being shoe horned into minor midfield roles. Martin is simply a modern day athlete version of Diesel Williams.

Getting back to Stringer and JDG they’re more of your Clive Waterhouse/ Simon Minton-Connell/ Danny Del Ray/ Len Hutton level talents who were fantastic on their day, but didn’t have the ability to do it consistently like a Dunstall, Lockett or Modra. Perhaps a consistent run of senior footy allows JDG to find a higher baseline (in the role I’m talking I think he’s capable of Toby Greenesque 20 disposal 2 goal numbers), but as much as I’d like to hope that’s the case I don’t think it’s possible with his terrible on field attitude.

A player that would rather berate an umpire when the ball is exiting a stoppage in the hands of an opponent is not someone that has the attitude to exact every last bit of ability out of themselves. The catch is I don’t think trading him is the solution until we’ve seen him in a good system which our current coach can’t provide.

We got 2 second round picks for a much better player this year and pay $300k a year of his salary. If Degoeys form does not improve this year based on his form for 3 years one 2nd rounder is all he is work. Why would anyone pay more than that for a bloke who can't even finish in the top 10 in our bnf?

Different circumstances. Our salary cap position forced our hand in 2020 (we could have had Henry Kissinger negotiating for us and we’d still have copped it raw) and it won’t with JDG. Your secondary question is the more important one and the answer is you wouldn’t which is why it’s not a goer. That and his court case...

We won’t trade Degoey unless it’s for good compensation, not a chance. We have the cards. 0 reason to sell low whilst he and the club are out of form. Won’t happen unless someone is willing to overpay

Different circumstances. Our salary cap position forced our hand in 2020 and it won’t with JDG. Your secondary question is the more important one and the answer is you wouldn’t which is why it’s not a goer. That and his court case...

So then why the FK did we sign him to a 750k a year contract? We have to squeeze out 3 senior players and pay 300k per year of Treloars contract and then we still go ahead and sign a player with a crap attitude, poor onfield performance and off field issues on 750k per year. Am I missing something or do we currently have the most mis-managed football department in the AFL?

So then why the FK did we sign him to a 750k a year contract? We have to squeeze out 3 senior players and pay 300k per year of Treloars contract and then we still go ahead and sign a player with a crap attitude, poor onfield performance and off field issues on 750k per year. Am I missing something or do we currently have the most mis-managed football department in the AFL?

No you have the right of it we have the most mismanaged FD in the league.

The result of said mismanagement was that we had to choose between Treloar or JDG and the club viewed JDG as the right option because he’s a match winner, younger and Treloar was owed $950k by the end of his deal. I’m ok with that choice. I would suggest, without knowing for sure, that there were still offers out there around the $800k mark for JDG. You know what’s worse than losing one of JDG and Treloar losing both when you have no leverage...

Forget the quality of the players traded last year we were so ****ed under the salary cap that had the Treloar deal not gone through we’d have been sanctioned for breaches. Think Carlton early 2000’s. To get what we did for Treloar was a minor miracle in hindsight and I’d suggest we only got their 1st because we agreed to pay part of his salary.

2021 is different because we don’t have those same pressures. I’m not saying we’re going to come out the other end of it as a dominant trade force rather this year we aren’t stepping into the octagon with one arm tied behind our back...

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If I’m honest with you, the thing that lets JDG down isn’t even his lack of polish or elite skills or his lack of aerobic capacity which he has improved tenfold, it’s his work rate and hunger. He has none of it.

Awesome footballer when he’s on the end of hard work but he fails to have any drive or work ethic to succeed. It’s sad to watch. This year, he has 8 tackles in 6 games. For a mid / forward hybrid that is pathetic. I don’t even care about the lack of goals, that in itself is concerning. He flirts around packs like a softy when he should be the one bulldozing through and his pressure acts are low as well, it’s all just an absolute waste really.

Look at this LOL, below average or poor in all the important indicators regarding defence and his work around the ground.

23D3ADE8-8005-400B-9EFE-89BDFA30D539.png

I'm not disputing that Degoey needs a rocket up his clacker. But these things should not be leaked and played out in the media. The person (s) who have leaked this info don't have the club's best interests at heart. Who in our club witnesses something sensitive like Degoey getting savaged by teammates and goes and tells all to the media???? Find out who leaked it and fire them!!
More generally, it's not really DeGoey's fault he was touted as the next Dusty Martyn.
His first public comment once drafted and directly to Buckey's face . . .

"I won't let you down" . . .

He has . . .

Repeatedly

No you have the right of it we have the most mismanaged FD in the league.

The result of said mismanagement was that we had to choose between Treloar or JDG and the club viewed JDG as the right option because he’s a match winner, younger and Treloar was owed $950k by the end of his deal. I’m ok with that choice. I would suggest, without knowing for sure, that there were still offers out there around the $800k mark for JDG. You know what’s worse than losing one of JDG and Treloar losing both when you have no leverage...

Forget the quality of the players traded last year we were so f’ed under the salary cap that had the Treloar deal not gone through we’d have been sanctioned for breaches. Think Carlton early 2000’s. To get what we did for Treloar was a minor miracle in hindsight and I’d suggest we only got their 1st because we agreed to pay part of his salary.

2021 is different because we don’t have those same pressures. I’m not saying we’re going to come out the other end of it as a dominant trade force rather this year we aren’t stepping into the octagon with one arm tied behind our back...

You seem to know details about our salary cap issues? Care to expand?

We won’t trade Degoey unless it’s for good compensation, not a chance. We have the cards. 0 reason to sell low whilst he and the club are out of form. Won’t happen unless someone is willing to overpay

And the deal would have to massive overs, because a new Coach would back himself to turn around a talent like JDG, before trading him.

How credible is your source - that’s the only thing that matters?

He is credible, still involved in the game, When he told me , I was kind of disappointed, as I rate Jordy , on the flip side , in his time at the club,6 completed seasons, he has not had one top 10 finish in the Copeland, that is a massive disappointment for a player of his talent.

He is credible, still involved in the game, When he told me , I was kind of disappointed, as I rate Jordy , on the flip side , in his time at the club,6 completed seasons, he has not had one top 10 finish in the Copeland, that is a massive disappointment for a player of his talent.

involved in AFL?
And in what capacity ?

You seem to know details about our salary cap issues? Care to expand?

No inside scoop this is all based on known known’s including the players we lost, the AFL salary cap minimum of 95% and the players we had unsigned at the time of trade week. Excluding the Langdon and Beams payouts and how they were dealt with we projected to be anywhere from $1-2m over the cap this year.

I'm not disputing that Degoey needs a rocket up his clacker. But these things should not be leaked and played out in the media. The person (s) who have leaked this info don't have the club's best interests at heart. Who in our club witnesses something sensitive like Degoey getting savaged by teammates and goes and tells all to the media???? Find out who leaked it and fire them!!
More generally, it's not really DeGoey's fault he was touted as the next Dusty Martyn.
I understand where you are coming from but if he demands to be paid like Martin then he can damn well be judged on Martin's output. Biggest waste of talent since Rene Kink

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back