Official Club Stuff Ken Hinkley - 2 year contract extension

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yeah I think after this year, he earned a 2 year. Anything longer than that, I would have had a problem.
2 years is a bloody long time if we fall in a hole. I’m not sure I can go 3 years of failure with this clown,

stupid decision, and even worse we learnt nothing from the last time we extended. I can’t understand why our club loves this bloke so much, I get the good bloke theory, but if success is measured he’s been a bloody failure. we Are still doing the same dumb things that we have always done under this bloke.

one would hope there are some tough kpis that he has to meet each year.

I feel like i've just wandered into the 2017 thread. How are people okay with this?

He's just proven he's at his best when he's coaching for his career. We've just given him ANOTHER undeserved contract extension.

There was absolutely no reason to do this before the season, not even the fake spectre of another club coming in for him. We're just a weak minded club that doesn't want to be forced into sacking him if he does poorly. I'm absolutely disgusted with this, but not surprised. ******* pathetic.

Yeah I think after this year, he earned a 2 year. Anything longer than that, I would have had a problem.

If this was year 3 or 4, yeah okay. He's just been extended for years 10 and 11. He's never played in a grand final, he's made the top 4 once. He was already contracted for next season. He's heavily reliant on a group of 30+ year old players.

Extremely disappointed with those in charge, just such an unbelievably poor business decision.

I hope he wins us a flag, I hope he deserves his extension and more, but this is just another case of a premature extension, that is wayyyy too long.

To do it once, and for basically everyone in the footy world to have realised what a huge mistake that was, and then to go do it AGAIN, is just unfathomable.

Extremely disappointed with those in charge, just such an unbelievably poor business decision.

I hope he wins us a flag, I hope he deserves his extension and more, but this is just another case of a premature extension, that is wayyyy too long.

To do it once, and for basically everyone in the footy world to have realised what a huge mistake that was, and then to go do it AGAIN, is just unfathomable.

Yep.

And there is no way to meaningfully hold any of the decision makers accountable. We have no real say over the board apart from a couple of token positions. The only way we can have an impact on club decision making is to withhold memberships, and then we get accused of "not being real supporters" and potentially killing the club.

If we were a member controlled club, we'd have ousted Koch a long time ago. Instead we just have to eat s**t again.

I think it’s about right . Surely we couldn’t sack him after a strong performance in ‘20 , two years suggests the club is still aware not to overdo it .
wwve got a strong list now , hardly any weak spots or gift games to players that may not be worth it . ( think S. Gray , O’Shea , Matt Thomas , Kane Mitchell these types )
If there was some likely coaching candidates available fair enough to think longer about it but there’s not and there are still teams that would go after Hinkley if he were available and their team has a poor year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Decision was basically made in October after we won the QF.

We were were never going to give him a 1 year deal which meant season 2021 ends and speculation about Hinkley starts that he is under pressure for 2022.

Thankfully Richo and CD stopped Koch and co giving him 3 or 4 years or one of those stupid 2+1 if you make finals extension like Koch and KT offered him at the end of 2017.

I think it’s about right . Surely we couldn’t sack him after a strong performance in ‘20 , two years suggests the club is still aware not to overdo it .
wwve got a strong list now , hardly any weak spots or gift games to players that may not be worth it . ( think S. Gray , O’Shea , Matt Thomas , Kane Mitchell these types )
If there was some likely coaching candidates available fair enough to think longer about it but there’s not and there are still teams that would go after Hinkley if he were available and their team has a poor year
But its not 2 years. It's 3 years from now. So yes we had a good year and no way would we sack him now. However what if 2021 is a bomb. What if it triggers the loss of Boak, R Gray, and a couple others and 2022 is also a bomb.

Well guess what, thatd be 1 good year, scattered amongst several failures, and yet we'd still have another entire year to wait to sack him.

But ignoring all that, the absolute worst excuse anyone can ever give for not changing coach is "oh well who is available and who would you replace him with". It's just so naive and ridiculous. Every great coach got given a start at some point. When Clarkson took over at Hawthorn he was a nobody, and I could rattle off another 20 coaches that have been successful and just required an opportunity to reach that success. You never know where you'll find the next John Cahill if you just stick with a potato. SO EVERYONE STOP USING THIS LINE, IT IS GARBAGE!

Wasn't there a coach of the Arizona Cardinals who coached for twenty years before making a superbowl? Maybe Hinkley will be the same one day.

If he coaches to the end of this contract, he ends up on 244 games. The record for most games coached without a GF appearance is 247 by Terry Wallace.

I can see it now.

We fall well short of expectations, finishing outside the eight in 2021 and 2022.

We make a bombastic return to September footy in 2023, losing a close elimination final. We load up on free agents for 2024, extend Hinkley, and miss the finals in 2025 in 2026.

Somewhere along the line, we trade out Rozee because he's not a good fit for our culture. Players and head coach are divided as Miles Bergman is elevated to co-captain, then relieved of his position a year later.

2027 heralds another agonising prelim loss, and we go into 2028 as media darlings and flag favourites. Ken is appointed coach for life.

Rinse and repeat.

If he coaches to the end of this contract, he ends up on 244 games. The record for most games coached without a GF appearance is 247 by Terry Wallace.
Rodney Eade got to a GF in his first year ie 25th game, then coached another 333 games and never made another one.

What's the actual pass mark here?

Where do we need to finish in 2021 for the extension to not go down as premature? Top 4? A prelim final?

What's the minimum acceptable return over the next three years? One GF appearance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back