Can Port win a premiership under Ken Hinkley?

Remove this Banner Ad

I challenge you to watch the last 2 mins of the Port Freo game and tell me that was good management rather than good luck

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Challenge NOT accepted.

Being serious, I have a Port supporting mate and said the same to him. But I'd still put that on the players fundamentals.

Does Kenny create stupid footballers? At Port it can seem that way. He was superb in development at Geelong though, so who knows.

What kind of question is this?

Right?

It wasn't even, like, "would you trade both your finals wins in 2014 for a prelim" or something, where my answer would still be the same but there would at least be some sort of counterargument. It was just "would you like this one thing or would you like this other objectively better one thing?"

Ken Hinkley, he's not the worst.

well your mob celebrated long and hard after that 2014 semi final win vs freo didnt you?

I thought Hinkley was a tactical genius? So why turn against him over the years?

well your mob celebrated long and hard after that 2014 semi final win vs freo didnt you?

I thought Hinkley was a tactical genius? So why turn against him over the years?

Probably because that was 10 ******* years ago and he hasn't approached that level of success since?

Why the hell is 2014 still being referenced as if it’s some mark of success. That was 10 god dam years ago people.

We then went on to make finals once in the next 5 seasons. Real successful period there.
Because Port and north Melbourne finished in those 5th to 8th placed finals spots and both clubs won 2 finals.

Port Adelaide finished 5th smashed 8th placed tigers in a home Elim final.

They then beat Freo in a semi final in WA, against the odds apparently.

Then got robbed by the hawks In the preliminary final.

Ken Hinkley was a god, a tactical genius in 2014, because he matched well with the better coaches in the AFL in Ross Lyon and Clarkson

Then got robbed by the hawks In the preliminary final.
No, Port messed themselves up, they had 7 more scoring shots compared to Hawthorn but lost. That's a Ken Hinkley special, because the same "more scoring shots but lost" occurred in the next final they played against West Coast in 2017.
Ken Hinkley was a god, a tactical genius in 2014, because he matched well with the better coaches in the AFL in Ross Lyon and Clarkson
McRae did a far better job than Hinkley, taking a 17th placed team under Buckley to a preliminary final and then to a premiership. I don't get this Hinkley defense, he's been abysmal. Port Adelaide and Fremantle have the same amount of wins in finals starting from 2015 to now. If you really think he's great because he's keeping Port away from competing for a premiership, which benefit opposition teams just be honest about it. I think that's what the Hinkley defense really comes down to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No, Port messed themselves up, they had 7 more scoring shots compared to Hawthorn but lost. That's a Ken Hinkley special, because the same "more scoring shots but lost" occurred in the next final they played against West Coast in 2017.

McRae did a far better job than Hinkley, taking a 17th placed team under Buckley to a preliminary final and then to a premiership. I don't get this Hinkley defense, he's been abysmal. Port Adelaide and Fremantle have the same amount of wins in finals starting from 2015 to now. If you really think he's great because he's keeping Port away from competing for a premiership, which benefit opposition teams just be honest about it. I think that's what the Hinkley defense really comes down to.
Nah the Hinkley defence is elite.

Held Freo to 9.9.63 on the weekend.

Again, Hinkley has got port Adelaide to consistent finals appearances.

2014 was a good year for port. He deserved a 20 year extension just for the 2014 season alone.

I am surprised Port Adelaide have turned against Ken Hinkley

Collingwood in the 2018 GF was a bigger choke job.

At least Port were playing a strong side who were fresh off their second premiership.
The 2020 and 2021 preliminary finals at home for Port against tired traveling Melbourne teams in a super rare situation that really benefited Port was the ultimate choke job for them to lose both times. Whereas Buckley actually got Collingwood to a Grand final against a powerhouse Richmond side in the preliminary final. Then Hinkley botches 2022 and doesn't make finals, and gets extended the year after where he doesn't win a final. Port's administration is horrendous. As Grant Thomas has described it, Port are just in the "glad to play AFL" business, rather than trying to actually win a premiership.

Nah the Hinkley defence is elite.

Held Freo to 9.9.63 on the weekend.

Again, Hinkley has got port Adelaide to consistent finals appearances.

2014 was a good year for port. He deserved a 20 year extension just for the 2014 season alone.

I am surprised Port Adelaide have turned against Ken Hinkley
Gotta make your bait more subtle, next time.

The 2020 and 2021 preliminary finals at home for Port against tired traveling Melbourne teams in a super rare situation that really benefited Port was the ultimate choke job for them to lose both times. Whereas Buckley actually got Collingwood to a Grand final against a powerhouse Richmond side in the preliminary final.
It was a terrible era for finalists - usually representing cripple fights. Geelong had their pants pulled down a few times, even when favoured. Hawthorn finished their era addicted to straight setting. Brisbane joined in, no matter the home finals. Collingwood had some strong games and then choked a week later (2018/2019). GWS were mostly pretenders. Richmond, by virtue of basically holding up well under finals heat, cleaned up minus the 2018 mishap.

2020 things like tiredness were hard to measure with the shorter season and shorter games. That Richmond side was never really one to run out of legs though. Port and Collingwood were the only two sides to give them a game for 4 quarters in do or die finals. Brisbane did once, but not under knockout conditions. A kick either way against a dynasty side, that 2020 PF I'll never be too harsh on even though it was a missed opportunity.

2021 against an average bulldogs side was obviously a disgrace. 2023 was a shocker too.

2014 against Hawthorn all they had to do was convert to an average level. Performance wise that and 2013 were overs relative to their list.

He probably needs a strong/creditable finals series to even the ledger. I've never really looked at Port's list and thought they were the best in the comp. 3rd or 4th best a few times, maybe.

Ken was good in 2014.

You realise that is a decade ago right?

He probably needs a strong/creditable finals series to even the ledger. I've never really looked at Port's list and thought they were the best in the comp. 3rd or 4th best a few times, maybe.

Players can never be proved or disproved until the common denominator is sent packing. Ken's record in cut throat, ground breaking games is diabolically poor.

Players can never be proved or disproved until the common denominator is sent packing. Ken's record in cut throat, ground breaking games is diabolically poor.
So was Scott's for a while.

We were pretty annoyed too so I get it. The 2011 flag was seen as a fluke (as far as Scott's input) with Bombers list.

That's his fault, then, not sure why somehow it's not Hinkley's fault that he didn't pick the right players, the recruiting is done under his instructions. Players like Dixon specifically came to Port because of their connection at The Suns. Also, I don't get the "no other senior coach could do better" argument, when we've seen Buckley get fired from a 17th placed Collingwood, then McRae taking Collingwood to a premiership, 2 years later.
Our list rebuild was compromised by GWS and GC coming into the AFL. Ken took over a club that had tarps on seats and danielle (dean) laidley as an assistant but over skype.

We never fully bottomed out/fell to a low position under him, which would seem the higher ups at the club were happy with.

My point is to go through most other premiership teams, there list build had some advantages which we never truly got. The reason why we never truely had a top tier list is because we havnt bottomed out and when we did we never got priority picks, F/S, academy picks and were recruiting in the most compromised drafts in AFL history.

Im not saying keeping ken in the answer but I am also unsure letting him go is either.

There is a reason why a club like Geelong won multiple premierships over last decade and a half, and with multiple coaches.

Does North look better under clarko at the moment?

It was a terrible era for finalists - usually representing cripple fights. Geelong had their pants pulled down a few times, even when favoured. Hawthorn finished their era addicted to straight setting. Brisbane joined in, no matter the home finals. Collingwood had some strong games and then choked a week later (2018/2019). GWS were mostly pretenders. Richmond, by virtue of basically holding up well under finals heat, cleaned up minus the 2018 mishap.

2020 things like tiredness were hard to measure with the shorter season and shorter games. That Richmond side was never really one to run out of legs though. Port and Collingwood were the only two sides to give them a game for 4 quarters in do or die finals. Brisbane did once, but not under knockout conditions. A kick either way against a dynasty side, that 2020 PF I'll never be too harsh on even though it was a missed opportunity.

2021 against an average bulldogs side was obviously a disgrace. 2023 was a shocker too.

2014 against Hawthorn all they had to do was convert to an average level. Performance wise that and 2013 were overs relative to their list.

Agree with everything you mentioned, 2021 was a huge disapointment, we just weren't on and midfield got smashed. Mind you it was prime libba, bont, macrae, treloar, smith and dunkley vs boak, wines, rozee, Drew, butter. Was out list that year really better?

looking at the ladder we were lucky to finish top 4, with brisbane and WB both with better percentage, which is a better indication due to fixture always being lopsided.

1713503969471.png

What frustrates me when people argue that he's a good coach is even if you accept this as true why does that mean we have to have him forever? Hardwick is a great coach and Richmond didn't fold the moment he left. Clarkson is a great coach and left and everyone went "yeah good idea, time for a change I reckon".

The stat a few posts above about being 28% in finals since 2014 and 0% in finals since the 2021 prelim (a game in which we were arguably the biggest favourites in a final ever and got belted by a team that had been on the road for a month) means that even if you think he was the Messiah at some point his time has past now. And yet we've still got at least 2 more years of it.
Ken Hinkley is a great coach because Port have never bottomed out during his tenure, with their lowest finish being 11th in 2022.
Every other club has finished lower than 11th at least once during Hinkley's tenure.

Ken Hinkley is a great coach because Port have never bottomed out during his tenure, with their lowest finish being 11th in 2022.
Every other club has finished lower than 11th at least once during Hinkley's tenure.
You're a Geelong supporter. Would you trade a premiership for finishing higher than 11th whatever year you finished that low? Of course you wouldn't, nobody would, the aim of the game is premierships. If you can't win one you're not a great coach.

I reckon you know this and are winding people up anyway

Remove this Banner Ad

Back