Preview Key matchups: Hawthorn vs Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

When the draw comes out each year this is the game I look for first, I have been down for every game since GF08 and loved every minute, while we have lost they have been great games and could have gone either way.

The players I fear the most from Geelong are Selwood, Varcoe, Corey, Enright and Bartel (who always lifts against us) and the job that Ling gets - he has beaten either Hodge or Mitchell in every game since and including the GF08. Buddy has been consistent against the Cats and I think people underestimate the role he played in the GF with taking Scarlet (their player that sets up their direction) out of the game as he had to be accountable for Buddy the whole game.

Its been interesting over the last few weeks as we have been playing Shiels, Savage and Rioli in the centre alot with Mitchell and Hodge at Half Back, Lewis and Burgoyne deep in the forwards. The only consistent player in the centre has been Sewel and thats because he has a role to play. It will be a great game and go a long way to see where both teams are at.

Can't wait!

Interesting at the Cats the rate him right up there as with winning the ball, especially the contested footy... Before Selwood came along he was interally acknowledged as the hardest worker at the club and the hardest at the ball..

Basically just another bull to add to what will be a ferocious pack going at the footy on tuesday...

It is amazing how different perceptions are of players between supporters of the club and outsiders. Never for a moment thought he was soft or anything but I did think most of his effort lay in his outside game (hard running etc.).

Going to be a great game on Tuesday (feels weird saying Tuesday!). Go hawks!

I think Buddy might start in the middle just to see what Geelong do - Hale in the goalsquare to compensate. Clarko pretty obviously tested this out last week to see how it went.

Pods could be a danger but with the game at the G I think we'll cover him ok.

People are talking about the match-ups but I think players will be running around trying to find the ideal match-up with nobody actually tagging anybody.

I don't think the match-ups will have any influence on the game, but rather the teams their imposes their style.

Geelong will want to play their counter-attacking, high contest football/man-to-man football, while Hawthorn will try and contain them by using the full press.

If Hawthorn can maintain the press to good effect than Hawthorn will win. If Geelong get hands on the ball more and dictate the play and not let Hawthorn play their style than they should win.

Of course there is always the accuracy element, and interestingly enough since the Grand Final it's usually been Hawthorn who have been inaccurate in front of goal.

I think Buddy might start in the middle just to see what Geelong do - Hale in the goalsquare to compensate. Clarko pretty obviously tested this out last week to see how it went.

Pods could be a danger but with the game at the G I think we'll cover him ok.

If Franklin starts in the middle I know what I'll be doing - cheering. He doesn't worry us there nearly as much as he does in the goalsquare. Please do this. :D

Mate you're only saying what we've been saying for two years. Franklin/Rough deep forward, Rioli/another at their feet, kick long. Repeat.

I would stick Hodge on Chapman.
Load up the forward line with Hale, Roughead & Buddy.
Hale in the goal square. Rough & Buddy roaming inside 50.
Cats read the play well & peel off their opponents.
Make them accountable, do not leave anyone on their own
in out forward 50. Roughy needs to crash more packs. Time
to fire up Big Red, get angry. Make the backmen earn all their
possessions.
Put Shiels on Wojinski ; Gilham on Mooney ; Gibson on Pods
Bruce on Menzel

....for a start...

I think one of the most important matchups will be:

Clarko (& co.) vs Scott (& co.)

And therefore:
  • game plan vs game plan;
  • each coach's flexibility & willingness to make changes when required; &
  • each coach's courage not to change just because the opposition gets 'run on'.

We all love buddy when hes taking marks inside fwd 50 and kicking goals. This is when he is at his most dangerous to the opposition, no question. Problem is he is not a big contested mark player, rarely crashes packs, and is super predicatable.

Hence he drifts up the ground to win a cheap ball and be an option moving down the lines. He does this well because he is an elite runner for his size and over the last few years has built a tank that allows him to burn opponents, catching them out of position, which results in goals like the 2 on hooker last year.

Over the following years I think its quite reasonable to see him playing a similar role to goodes with more time through the midfield, and then resting deep forward. He doesnt have the same disposal efficiency but barring injury he has freakish ability and will make for an increadibly tough match up on.

I expect he will be made to earn his possesions this week with Taylor/Lonegan/Scarlett all spending time on him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back