Preview Key matchups: Hawthorn vs Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Much as I would love that to happen I'd say it's extremely unlikely.

The MF-er that could easily get under your guard may well be Corey, who seems to be approaching his best form again after a year of injury.
I suspect Rioli will be matched up by our closest MF in your D50 and centre and be picked up by Hunt or Enright when drifting forward.
The days of 4Q head to head match-ups in the MF are over imo with the exception of a very few players like Ling, who anachronistically seems to thrive in that role.
My biggest concern as a Cat's supporter is Clinton Young. I'd like to see him shadowed.

The more we talk about this, the more exciting this game sounds. Two gun midfields who will struggle to contain eachother. May it be another belter. :thumbsu:

Long time lurker, first time poster here. Really excited about this game on Sunday, and hopefully it will live up to its hype and form a steady foundation for this great rivalry to go on in this decade :)

I'd really like to see Sewell go head to head with Selwood, was a great duel between him and Priddis last week, both massing tackle after tackle and clearance after clearance. I reckon the in form sewell against Selwood will be something to watch!

Also really loving Birchall's work so far this year, and if he can rebound like he did on Saturday, linking up with the likes of Cyril and Burgs to deliver it pin-point into the Forward Fifty, we could be dangerous.

Would like to see Murphy come in to play against Stevie J. He has beaten him on multiple occasions if I'm not wrong.

Hopefully a few of the S's can get up and pull off a massive game for a much needed win! :D

Dont turn up sunday my friend, there will not be a Haw or Geel, Player, official, supporter in sight. Id suggest you turn up on Tuesday!

This should be a cracker. I think it is time to beat Geel, and make a statement. No more being beaten by a nose at the final siren. Time is now Hawks! We do this and that black and white team will be looking over their shoulder, knowing we are coming and coming hard!

Would we consider having Roughy at CHF while we have the press up? I mean, the amount of times we have streamed forward with no one to kick to is astouding, and this could really accentuate the contested marking skills of Roughy. Sure, keep the 60m rule for everyone else, just push roughy back to CHF when the press is up. It puts the fear in the opponent's mind that a certain goal is coming up if we get it out of our defence. Or alternatively it causes them to put a defender on him, which makes their press weaker still. I don't see how we can lose by putting at least one player back when we flood our defensive 50!?

The more we talk about this, the more exciting this game sounds. Two gun midfields who will struggle to contain eachother. May it be another belter. :thumbsu:

Agreed. Wouldn't miss it for quids! No doubt in my mind that Hawks and Cats always save something a bit special for each other.

I think our midfield is JUST and I mean JUST better than their midfield. However with Ottens in AA form and our luck of ruck division, they will be given first use which I believe tips the game in their favour. If Hale or Renouf could have a day out I think we will win (provided we are efficient in front of goal).

So I think the key match up for us winning;

Renouf v Ottens

Also the defence against the high ball needs to adapt without Stratton. Need to see players like Birchall and Bruce jumping infront of Josh Kennedy type players in certain situations.

I think our midfield is JUST and I mean JUST better than their midfield. However with Ottens in AA form and our luck of ruck division, they will be given first use which I believe tips the game in their favour. If Hale or Renouf could have a day out I think we will win (provided we are efficient in front of goal).

So I think the key match up for us winning;

Renouf v Ottens

Also the defence against the high ball needs to adapt without Stratton. Need to see players like Birchall and Bruce jumping infront of Josh Kennedy type players in certain situations.

One thing Renouf has on Ottens is mobility - he's one of the fittest ruckmen in the league, and Ottens is on his last legs.

If things go awful with Renouf in the first half, I hope Clarko does what he did last time, and sub him off for Hale. Or, if we're in luck and Hawkins plays, stick him down back to negate.

I think our midfield is JUST and I mean JUST better than their midfield.

With all due respect...really? Your Forward line is leagues ahead of ours and pretty much anyone elses. Our defence is way ahead of yours and pretty much anyone elses, but I think it's difficult to mount a case for a superior Hawthorn MF.

The big thing Hawthorn have going for them against Geelong, and have had for 20 odd years, is the firm belief that no matter what the ladder says, they can beat Geelong on any given day.
On paper I think Geelong has Hawthorn covered, but it's not played on paper. It's played at the MCG and between the ears of the players, where anything could happen.
Like I said, your F50 can always kick a match-winning score against anyone anytime. We tend to win games because our mids kick goals.

With all due respect...really? Your Forward line is leagues ahead of ours and pretty much anyone elses. Our defence is way ahead of yours and pretty much anyone elses, but I think it's difficult to mount a case for a superior Hawthorn MF.

The big thing Hawthorn have going for them against Geelong, and have had for 20 odd years, is the firm belief that no matter what the ladder says, they can beat Geelong on any given day.
On paper I think Geelong has Hawthorn covered, but it's not played on paper. It's played at the MCG and between the ears of the players, where anything could happen.
Like I said, your F50 can always kick a match-winning score against anyone anytime. We tend to win games because our mids kick goals.

On potential - yes. On form - maybe not.

The thing that makes our MF superior on paper, is the fact there are so many guns, making tagging a difficult proposition. I'd say minus Burgoyne and we're even. With him (and Cyril moving through the middle), our midfield is far more dangerous than yours.

The key to the game is the ability to control the footy and the contest. The game is won and lost in the middle of the ground. If either team controls the middle they can feed the ball into their foward line and win the game. Hawthorn strengths are when they run and carry the pill with burch, young, rioli & ladson and deliver to the big boys. Geelongs ability to control the contest and to run to space and by hitting targets carve up the opposition.

This will be a true test on how each team is travelling.

I understand it doesn't sound right to say our midfield is better than yours. Because it has never performed better on a consistent basis. However my logic behind it, is simply, finally we can call Cyril Rioli a midfielder. Burgoyne has a fitness base that results in his addition to my case of having the better midfield.

Mitchell, Sewell, Rioli, Burgoyne, Hodge with the run of Bateman, Young, and Savage makes it more potent than ever.

Given a genuine ruckman, I believe it would be devestating. That is why Max Bailey has been given probably more chances than most AFL lists permit. Because of the potential.

Geelong is a proven midfield that is amazing, I just think ours has the potential to be better.

Agree with your judgement of the Forward Line and also the Backlines. Will be a great game, which I think the Cats will take in a tight contest to be honest.

On potential - yes. On form - maybe not.

The thing that makes our MF superior on paper, is the fact there are so many guns, making tagging a difficult proposition. I'd say minus Burgoyne and we're even. With him (and Cyril moving through the middle), our midfield is far more dangerous than yours.

Selwood
Bartel
Ling
Chapman
Corey

2nd stringers
Kelly
SJ
Varcoe
Duncan
Stokes

Not bad ;-)

Agreed they match up well though.
How's Sewell going? He was my fav Hawk MF in 2008. Personified courage.

Selwood
Bartel
Ling
Chapman
Corey

2nd stringers
Kelly
SJ
Varcoe
Duncan
Stokes

Not bad ;-)

Agreed they match up well though.
How's Sewell going? He was my fav Hawk MF in 2008. Personified courage.

Corey is your equivalent to Lewis. Good, not elite.

Ling is a great tagger, but really....

I understand it doesn't sound right to say our midfield is better than yours. Because it has never performed better on a consistent basis. However my logic behind it, is simply, finally we can call Cyril Rioli a midfielder. Burgoyne has a fitness base that results in his addition to my case of having the better midfield.

Mitchell, Sewell, Rioli, Burgoyne, Hodge with the run of Bateman, Young, and Savage makes it more potent than ever.

Given a genuine ruckman, I believe it would be devestating. That is why Max Bailey has been given probably more chances than most AFL lists permit. Because of the potential.

Geelong is a proven midfield that is amazing, I just think ours has the potential to be better.

Agree with your judgement of the Forward Line and also the Backlines. Will be a great game, which I think the Cats will take in a tight contest to be honest.

Fair comment. Tuesday should go some way to answering some of our questions, I reckon, but as 2008 and 2009 proved, there is only 1 game that really matters.
Most clubs in the AFL would take either of our MFs in a heartbeat!
Enjoy the match!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Corey is your equivalent to Lewis. Good, not elite.

Ling is a great tagger, but really....

Lingy gets a lot of the ball and kicks goals.

I think Joel Corey has ALWAYS been under-rated outside Geelong.
Perhaps the best example of why we rate him is the 4th Q 2009 GF. Extraordinary performance.
Have to be honest and say that Joel Corey has Jordan Lewis covered by Flemington straight. Or lets say in the same way Roughead has Pods/Hawkins covered.

I would agree that i think Corey does have Lewis covered... but we do have more stars in the midfield even if you don't include Lewis in there

Hodge
Mitchell
Sewell
Burgoyne
Cyril

2nd Stringers
Lewis
Shiels
Bateman
Franklin (YES HE PLAYS MIDFIELD AS WELL SOMETIMES)
Young
Savage
Bruce

I would say our mids have u guys covered... but your backs are MUCH MUCH better then ours... and this is the reason why i think we will find it very hard to beat you without ben stratton.

I do rate Corey very highly and Ling... though slow... is a good and smart captain.

Agreed on midfields, and the Geelong vs. Hawks battle through the middle is always classic given the similar body sizes in there. I have always rated Sewell, Mitchell very highly and can't for any reason why Hodge isn't always in the guts...however thats just my opinion. Still not sure what to make of Cyril...yes i have seen good highlights but i have never witnessed him playing to a midfield level against good opposition, and 12 possies last week when tagged does not constitute some of the plaudits he has been receiveing. However, very dangerous...but i would imagine we would place greater emphasis on Sewell, Hodge and Mitchell.

Otto vs Renouf/Hale could be a big showdown and advantage to us. Otto' is almost in career best form and has been covering enormous territory again. His effort on Mumford was brilliant and followed great games vs the Saints, Power and Freo (he is averaging 119 SC, not too bad).

I think Clinton Young is a highly underated player and i hope we play special attention to him this time around....Also there was a backline player for you last time we played who was awesome and beat Pods, Mooney in a few one on one's (actually marking the ball), can't remember if it was Gilham? Schoenmakers? However besides this, we do have the potential to expose you at the back given long direct quick ball movement....

Buddy of course is our foremost danger, however we do have options to at least subdue him (if at all possible). The big play for you guys is Roughie i feel....Saw him move to the ruck against the Dee's and thought he was awesome...love his attitude, tough, hard at it and just a fantastic overhead mark....If he plays a more mobile position i think he could influence the game quite considerably.

Have seen every Cats v Hawks match since 08'....every single game has been a cracking contest and i we have been lucky in a couple. You guys seem to lift against us there is no doubt....however we seem just as determined to hang on for victory even when being dominated.

Anyone's game....hopefully hard and uncomprimising, especially as we are off a 10 day break and go into the bye next week.

Cats by 8

I would agree that i think Corey does have Lewis covered... but we do have more stars in the midfield even if you don't include Lewis in there

Hodge
Mitchell
Sewell
Burgoyne
Cyril

2nd Stringers
Lewis
Shiels
Bateman
Franklin (YES HE PLAYS MIDFIELD AS WELL SOMETIMES)
Young
Savage
Bruce

I would say our mids have u guys covered... but your backs are MUCH MUCH better then ours... and this is the reason why i think we will find it very hard to beat you without ben stratton.

I do rate Corey very highly and Ling... though slow... is a good and smart captain.

If you're gonna include Rioli as a 1st string MF he'll need to do a LOT better than 12 possessions!
I think at this stage he has 1st string talent, but 2nd string stats and consistency. Same as Varcoe really.
Also I may be wrong but I'm not sure Hodge even plays MF 1st up consistently. Isn't he more like our Corey Enright? Sweeper down back?
That's where I think we shade you...more genuine consistent 1st string MFs.

Still both MFs run pretty deep which is, I guess, the point of the discussion!
Anyhoo...out of respect for your board I'll bid you adios before we get too bogged down in "mine's bigger than yours" ;-)
See you all next Tuesday and thanks for the discussion...

that's what I worry about! Both potential match winners off their own boot. Stevie J & Chappy have that potential for us. Shaping up to be a ripper game.
I don't think Mooney will play down back. the hope is Hawkins stays out and we go Mooney as the 2nd ruck option.

good luck boys

thanks...we will need it as you ahve had the evil eye over us since 2008 :)

You are right Rioli should run free..let Geelong find someone to stop him.

Long time lurker, first time poster here. Really excited about this game on Sunday, and hopefully it will live up to its hype and form a steady foundation for this great rivalry to go on in this decade :)

I'd really like to see Sewell go head to head with Selwood, was a great duel between him and Priddis last week, both massing tackle after tackle and clearance after clearance. I reckon the in form sewell against Selwood will be something to watch!

Also really loving Birchall's work so far this year, and if he can rebound like he did on Saturday, linking up with the likes of Cyril and Burgs to deliver it pin-point into the Forward Fifty, we could be dangerous.

Would like to see Murphy come in to play against Stevie J. He has beaten him on multiple occasions if I'm not wrong.

Hopefully a few of the S's can get up and pull off a massive game for a much needed win! :D

hey S man and welcome..good first post :) Murphy to Stevie J sounds like a good move. I like it.

Your players are Smarter, cleverer, more experienced if you know what I mean;)

PS we make your "number 1" defence crap its dacks consistently - they like room to move - its why the pies have yur measure

Very good assesment and stopping the geelong mids kicking goals should be the hawks top priority.

Game of the round without a doubt.

Right now its the biggest rivalry in AFL.

The two best teams to watch duking it out...gotta love it!!

Very good assesment and stopping the geelong mids kicking goals should be the hawks top priority.

Game of the round without a doubt.

Right now its the biggest rivalry in AFL.

The two best teams to watch duking it out...gotta love it!!

And don't the fans of the Pies, Bombers and Blues just HATE that :D:thumbsu:

All the best for this boys, just reading over this thread has me hanging for a week today!! Regardless of conditions, selection and umpires... It will be a tough tight arm wrestle... May the best team win

Lingy gets a lot of the ball and kicks goals.

I think Joel Corey has ALWAYS been under-rated outside Geelong.
Perhaps the best example of why we rate him is the 4th Q 2009 GF. Extraordinary performance.
Have to be honest and say that Joel Corey has Jordan Lewis covered by Flemington straight. Or lets say in the same way Roughead has Pods/Hawkins covered.

Disagree wholeheartedly. Just as Corey is underrated outside Geelong, so is Lewis underrated outside (and often inside) Hawthorn. Jordan would be a walk-up start in almost any other team's midfield (as would Corey). He's also involved in a very high number of scoring chains: he's not just hard at the contest and effective at winning it - his decision-making is among the best in the game. Probably Corey has somewhat better disposal, but I wouldn't rate him as good at winning the ball, and he never seems overly dangerous. Lewis, on the other hand, quietly manages to get a whole lot of scoring chains started (both of Buddy's goals of the year against the Scum, for instance).

Agree to disagree.

Disagree wholeheartedly. Just as Corey is underrated outside Geelong, so is Lewis underrated outside (and often inside) Hawthorn. Jordan would be a walk-up start in almost any other team's midfield (as would Corey). He's also involved in a very high number of scoring chains: he's not just hard at the contest and effective at winning it - his decision-making is among the best in the game. Probably Corey has somewhat better disposal, but I wouldn't rate him as good at winning the ball, and he never seems overly dangerous. Lewis, on the other hand, quietly manages to get a whole lot of scoring chains started (both of Buddy's goals of the year against the Scum, for instance).

Agree to disagree.

Interestingly, Corey's disposal is actually our knock on him! We see him as a mighty in and under ball extractor, best left to quick hand-passes to someone who can kick a lot better than him.
Maybe the 2 of them are indeed very similar? Under-rated ball extractors with so-so disposal skills who quietly go about their trade?
I'll be sure to pay more attention to Lewis on Tuesday! Always interesting to see the other mob's perspective on their own. Particularly when it's not the obvious players.

Agree to disagree.

Interesting at the Cats the rate him right up there as with winning the ball, especially the contested footy... Before Selwood came along he was interally acknowledged as the hardest worker at the club and the hardest at the ball..

Basically just another bull to add to what will be a ferocious pack going at the footy on tuesday...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back