Remove this Banner Ad

Bayer_

Cancelled
10k Posts Bay 13: Vintage Bay Shiny Penny
Dec 23, 2008
Inner East
AFL Club
Hawthorn
With the red hot form the Cats are in ATM, have been pondering just how we'll pin down their stars, as well as their dangerous fringe players.

Some ideas for mine:

- Bateman to take Wojcinski. Wojo is a potentially devastating player, as evidenced on the weekend against Sydney. Changa may not be as zippy as he once was, but he did some great jobs shutting down jets such as Stanton and Carlisle last year.

- Sewell head to head vs Bartel. Both in-and-under players, Sewell not as talented using the ball, but able to negate Jimmy if he can stick to him.

- Hodge to be tagged by Ling. Seems to be the way things work. Señor Ugly has had the better of Hodgey, but his grip is loosening with each game that goes by. If Hodgey's well and truly over his achilles, expect him to well and truly break the tag. If not, expect him to be quiet.

- Lewis to tag Enright. One of the best users of the ball in the game; a critical part of Geelong's drive out of half back, can also move onto the ball. Taz should be able to stick to him, and maybe kick some goals if deep.

- Mitchell head to head vs Selwood. To be honest can't think of who'd take Selwood, but Mitch being our best in and under would probably be our best hope to limiting his ability to win the hard ball.

- Gibson to Mooney. Whilst lacking in height, should be able sufficiently frustrate the Moondog, chopping out his marking opportunities.

That's just off the top of my head.

Thoughts/other matchups?

I'd stick Rioli on Bartel. Will keep him involved for the whole game and make Bartel play more accountable footy. Rioli is also far stronger in the air than Sewell is. Sewell I think would be a better option to go head-to-head with Selwood. Hodge may end up at half back leaving Ling to go to Mitchell.

Looks as though Pods will be free to play against us, as there has been no mention of his name in the following article.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...er-for-anzac-day/story-e6frf9jf-1226041016100

Dawes has been cited for striking, the AFL has reported on Twitter.
Fremantle captain Matthew Pavlich can accept a reprimand for striking, while Nick Smith can take a $900 fine for making negligent contact with an umpire.
Dawes was reported on Friday night for striking Tiger Reece Conca.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...er-for-anzac-day/story-e6frf9jf-1226041016100

I'd stick Rioli on Bartel. Will keep him involved for the whole game and make Bartel play more accountable footy. Rioli is also far stronger in the air than Sewell is. Sewell I think would be a better option to go head-to-head with Selwood. Hodge may end up at half back leaving Ling to go to Mitchell.

I wouldn't stick Rioli on anyone if I were you guys. Obviously theres hodge and mitchell in there but Cyril is the one who should be given free reign. Him and buddy need to be able to do as they feel, they're both unstoppable on their day

I wouldn't stick Rioli on anyone if I were you guys. Obviously theres hodge and mitchell in there but Cyril is the one who should be given free reign. Him and buddy need to be able to do as they feel, they're both unstoppable on their day

that's what I worry about! Both potential match winners off their own boot. Stevie J & Chappy have that potential for us. Shaping up to be a ripper game.
I don't think Mooney will play down back. the hope is Hawkins stays out and we go Mooney as the 2nd ruck option.

good luck boys

Long time lurker, first time poster here. Really excited about this game on Sunday, and hopefully it will live up to its hype and form a steady foundation for this great rivalry to go on in this decade :)

I'd really like to see Sewell go head to head with Selwood, was a great duel between him and Priddis last week, both massing tackle after tackle and clearance after clearance. I reckon the in form sewell against Selwood will be something to watch!

Also really loving Birchall's work so far this year, and if he can rebound like he did on Saturday, linking up with the likes of Cyril and Burgs to deliver it pin-point into the Forward Fifty, we could be dangerous.

Would like to see Murphy come in to play against Stevie J. He has beaten him on multiple occasions if I'm not wrong.

Hopefully a few of the S's can get up and pull off a massive game for a much needed win! :D

- Hodge to be tagged by Ling. Seems to be the way things work. Señor Ugly has had the better of Hodgey, but his grip is loosening with each game that goes by. If Hodgey's well and truly over his achilles, expect him to well and truly break the tag. If not, expect him to be quiet.

Thoughts/other matchups?

I actually think Ling will start on Mitchell. In Round 2 last year he started on Hodge, and they shifted him on Mitchell at half time. Played a big part in us coming back to win. Wouldn't surprise me at all if he starts there. Especially with Mitchell having a great game at the weekend.

With the red hot form the Cats are in ATM, have been pondering just how we'll pin down their stars, as well as their dangerous fringe players.

Some ideas for mine:

- Bateman to take Wojcinski. Wojo is a potentially devastating player, as evidenced on the weekend against Sydney. Changa may not be as zippy as he once was, but he did some great jobs shutting down jets such as Stanton and Carlisle last year.

- Sewell head to head vs Bartel. Both in-and-under players, Sewell not as talented using the ball, but able to negate Jimmy if he can stick to him.

- Lewis to tag Enright. One of the best users of the ball in the game; a critical part of Geelong's drive out of half back, can also move onto the ball. Taz should be able to stick to him, and maybe kick some goals if deep.

- Mitchell head to head vs Selwood. To be honest can't think of who'd take Selwood, but Mitch being our best in and under would probably be our best hope to limiting his ability to win the hard ball.

- Gibson to Mooney. Whilst lacking in height, should be able sufficiently frustrate the Moondog, chopping out his marking opportunities.

That's just off the top of my head.

Thoughts/other match ups?

Gilham vs Podsiadly (last season Gilham kept him to 1 goal & 3 marks)
Franklin vs Scarlett
Roughead vs Taylor
Wojcinski/Enright vs Rioli

Cameron Ling should be banned from playing, it's unfair for other players to have to look at him constantly, how do you play when you have some big grimacing ginger steaming around you?

I agree that Rioli should be given free reign, let him be a problem for the opposition.

I wonder if Burgoyne would be considered for a tag, given how well he uses the ball, and being involved in like 35% of our scoring setups...

They can't tag them all, we just need to rely on those untagged outperforming their direct opponents.

I should reword what I said. I'd like Rioli to go head-to-head with Bartel, not tag him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I actually think Ling will start on Mitchell. In Round 2 last year he started on Hodge, and they shifted him on Mitchell at half time. Played a big part in us coming back to win. Wouldn't surprise me at all if he starts there. Especially with Mitchell having a great game at the weekend.

I agree. Ling will go to Mitchell. Hodge isn't fit so they may 'risk' him to cover the in form Mitchell.

Midfield match ups will decide the game I think so both teams will probably start pretty close to each other early in the game.

My Key Match Ups:
Franklin vs Scarlett/Taylor
Roughead vs Taylor/Scarlett
Burgoyne vs Enright
Gilham vs Podsiadly
Gibson vs Mooney
Mitchell vs Ling
Hodge vs Selwood
Sewell vs Bartel

+'s for us:

Bateman can run around more, rather than tag Gary Ablett that is not there anymore.
3 talls in out forwards Roughead, Franklin and Hale.
Burgoyne is in blistering form.

-'s for us:
Is our defence good enough to match up three talls?
Which Hawthorn team will turn up this week?

Important Players for us:
Clinton Young
Chance Bateman
Lance Franklin
Luke Hodge
Sam Mitchell
Brad Sewell
Cyril Rioli
Josh Gibson
Jordan Lewis

Geelong:
Jimmy Bartel
Paul Chapman
Matthew Scarlett
Corey Enright
Joel Corey
Joel Selwood
Cameron Ling
James Podsiadly
Darren Milburn

Long time lurker, first time poster here. Really excited about this game on Sunday, and hopefully it will live up to its hype and form a steady foundation for this great rivalry to go on in this decade :)

I'd really like to see Sewell go head to head with Selwood, was a great duel between him and Priddis last week, both massing tackle after tackle and clearance after clearance. I reckon the in form sewell against Selwood will be something to watch!

Also really loving Birchall's work so far this year, and if he can rebound like he did on Saturday, linking up with the likes of Cyril and Burgs to deliver it pin-point into the Forward Fifty, we could be dangerous.

Would like to see Murphy come in to play against Stevie J. He has beaten him on multiple occasions if I'm not wrong.

Hopefully a few of the S's can get up and pull off a massive game for a much needed win! :D

I wouldn't, he would get thrashed! Guerra back to defence!

Gilham vs Podsiadly (last season Gilham kept him to 1 goal & 3 marks)
Franklin vs Scarlett
Roughead vs Taylor
Wojcinski/Enright vs Rioli

Wouldn't surprise me to see Taylor go to Buddy, Lonergan to Roughead and Scarlett to Hale or whoever your third tall forward is.

FB: Ladson – Gilham - Birchall
FF: Stokes – Hawkins - Podsiadly

HB: Bruce – Gibson - Hodge
HF: Varcoe - Mooney - Bartel

Ce: Young – Mitchell - Savage
Ce: Johnson - Ling - Corey

HF: Lewis – Franklin - Bateman
HB: Mackie - Taylor - Kelly

FF: Burgoyne – Roughead - Hale
FB: Enright – Scarlett - Lonergan

Ru: Renouf
Ru: Ottens

RR: Rioli
RR: Selwood

Ro: Sewell
Ro: Chapman

At this stage I'd think using Shiels as a tagger on either Selwood or Bartel would probably be good. I'd want us to create as much run as we can from our midfield, rather than worry about the other way. If you create the problems rather than react to them would be much more beneficial to us.

On the whole though, I worry more about Chapman then any others, more because if he has a big game, it tends to lead to a cats victory.

Key Matchups hey...

I'll give you one.

GH vs Hank at the pub prior to the game.

Pot for Pot in a shoot-out. Shall the best man win :D

I'm heading for the mountains thursday night, for go hawks!!! excellent camping adventure. I am coming back from NSW (if still alive) directly to the game so if I have time I will make it to the London. If not, enjoy your time with the rest of the trouble making degenerates.

Wouldn't surprise me to see Taylor go to Buddy, Lonergan to Roughead and Scarlett to Hale or whoever your third tall forward is.

Agree, we cannot give Scarlett the room to control play which he has done for the last 4 rounds.

I reckon Bruce should be given a tagging role this week. He could go with either Bartel or Chapman with Sewell going head to head with Selwood.

We also need to limit Enright, Johnson and Ottens to have a chance. Lewis did a good job on Enright last time so he might be the man, and Gibbo should play on Johnson (depending on how tall the Cats go).

This is a must win game for us if we want to be considered serious contenders. We cannot afford to have the number of passengers we did last week. Hale, Gibbo, Roughie, Changa and Burger in particular must step up this week.

^^ Disagree re Gibbo on Johnson. Gibbo has the athleticism to obstruct marking contests, so should focus on one of the talls. Stevie J deserves attention, but a feisty small will usually shut him down

I should reword what I said. I'd like Rioli to go head-to-head with Bartel, not tag him

Much as I would love that to happen I'd say it's extremely unlikely.

The MF-er that could easily get under your guard may well be Corey, who seems to be approaching his best form again after a year of injury.
I suspect Rioli will be matched up by our closest MF in your D50 and centre and be picked up by Hunt or Enright when drifting forward.
The days of 4Q head to head match-ups in the MF are over imo with the exception of a very few players like Ling, who anachronistically seems to thrive in that role.
My biggest concern as a Cat's supporter is Clinton Young. I'd like to see him shadowed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back