Kobe Bryant and daughter Gianna Die in Helicopter Crash

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s probably not the right forum but he raped a 19yo girl. Police reports were incredibly damning, publicly **** shamed the girl and financially was never going to lose the case. An incredible talent and one of the all time greats but the talk about how good a bloke he was doesn’t sit well with a lot of people.
That case was never heard in a criminal court, they did reach settlement in civil court. That doesn’t mean he admitted to raping the girl, however it may look.

Shocked and saddened, my god. Feel awful that his daughter was involved, way too young. Life is not fair.

Giannis has deleted his entire social media, I'd imagine he is distraught right now. Completely looked up to Kobe, trained with him etc. Lost his dad now loses his mentor.

RIP Black Mamba.

Oh my God. I woke up and literally couldn't believe it. I don't think I could be more upset and shocked unless maybe LeBron died. Such a major, formative figure in my life. And his daughter and other families involved too, oh no. Incredibly tragic all around.

Rest in Peace.

He also did a lot of promoting for women’s basketball, had a great family and brought joy and faith to many basketball fans. The other stuff, good or ugly, probably not the best time to discuss it, and he was cleared anyway.
He wasn't cleared lol. After a year of abuse she chose to not testify and the charges were dropped as a result of that.

He wasn't cleared lol. After a year of abuse she chose to not testify and the charges were dropped as a result of that.

I think this quote (and others) are relevant tomorrow and the next day as grief turns to a discussion of legacy.

But in the hours after it happened, I think people should be allowed some time to grieve someone who was an icon (rightly or wrongly) for a lot of people without being confronted by what a piece of s**t he apparently was.

images

Vale

But in all seriousness, as much as I disliked the guy for most of his career, like for so many kids the Shaq and Kobe Lakers were the my favourite team in primary school. After that went to s**t and I eventually started following the Suns, Kobe v Raja Bell was always awesome viewing, even if it usually ended with the Suns going home without the win.

He was a pretty great villain really.

Last edited:
This has rattled me.

Never thought I’d be saying that as a Celtics fan who always wanted to see the Celtics beat him. He wasn’t a player I cheered for, But I grew up watching him be the villain for many NBA teams and provide many classic moments. In my opinion probably the last of an old type of player who put it all on the line every night. Embraced the villain role and excelled doing so.

This for me is Kobe at his finest. Being a killer, just ending the hopes of Phoenix season with a ridiculous series of shots.

As a person I found him really interesting after he retired. He clearly had a lot to offer with his opinions. His short film was great and I found some of his breakdowns of players or teams fascinating. He had so much more to offer and it’s awful that we’ll miss out on that.

RIP

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But in all seriousness, as much as I disliked the guy for most of his career, like so many kids, the Shaq and Kobe Lakers were the my favourite team in primary school. After that went to s**t and I eventually started following the Suns, Kobe v Raja Bell was always awesome viewing, even if it usually ended with the Suns going home without the win.

He was a pretty great villain really.
I witnessed his greatness against your suns live. It was a terrific experience watching hall of famers like steve nash, amare et al go up against him

He openly admitted that he red the situation wrong and apologised when he was told to stay silent.

yes he wasn’t a saint but he did many good things in his life , was a great on and of the court.

R.I.P Kobe the world is darker without you.

I think this quote (and others) are relevant tomorrow and the next day as grief turns to a discussion of legacy.

But in the hours after it happened, I think people should be allowed some time to grieve someone who was an icon (rightly or wrongly) for a lot of people without being confronted by what a piece of s**t he apparently was.
It’s not something I’ve gone out of my way to mention today, but if someone started to bang on about what a great bloke he was I’d definitely be reminding them of it.

Happy not to rub people’s faces in it but let’s not use that as an excuse to lionise the guy.

Last edited:
It is sad to lose a giant in the sports world, who meant so much to so many people. It is even sadder to lose a husband and father and a daughter and sister. Memory eternal.

perhaps saying ‘I thought it was consensual but in retrospect she did not’ might be tantamount to accepting it
Perhaps. I responded to a poster that said ‘he raped a girl’, to me anyway seems to imply that he was found guilty in a criminal court. Simply pointing out that wasn’t the case.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back