Remove this Banner Ad

swingdog

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 3, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Article in The Age re: activities in the final week of school:

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/t...he-final-weeks-of-school-20151204-glg0qz.html

Pretty much sums up our kids' school - lots of DVD watching. Have told them not to bother handing anything in now because it doesn't seem to matter.

Hard to make the case, as a parent, why they should be going to school that week other than that I need to be at work. Perfectly understandable why increasingly people take this week off for an early start to holidays to beat higher air fares.

Anyone else?

Because the bludging in the final week will always exist if you keep getting rid of the final week.

Exams would be a solution to solve the problem but is that neccesary for primary school students?
I think exams should happen in primary school, so as to rank the pupils, so teachers know what kids require assistance in what areas

That sounds like the last 4 weeks of primary school for me. I look back on it fondly before people were split up to different secondary schools.

I think exams should happen in primary school, so as to rank the pupils, so teachers know what kids require assistance in what areas

but what use is that in the final week of school?
mid year exams should be the biggest thing in primary school with another test later in the year aimed at seeing how much progress has been made with the students.

leaving it until the last week is pointless.

The Victorian government requires that public school students 15 years of age and under remain at school until the end of the school year, as set by the government. This year in Victoria it is Friday 18th December.

The last two weeks or so involve schools finalising assessments, calculating results and writing reports to be handed out to students before the end of the school year. Naturally no further assessment can take place after a certain date, in order for reports to be written in time for distribution to students. If students have exams, then that exam usually constitutes the final assessment for the year or semester. Teachers then need time to mark the exams, finalise the results and write reports.

At public schools, Year 10 students who have suitable employment can leave in December up to two weeks before the end of the school year (18th December) "when requested by parents". Year 11 students can leave after completing their final exam but not before the last Friday in November, while Year 12 students can leave following their last exam.

Private schools set their own end of year school dates. For example at my local private school, students finished on Tuesday 8th December, while staff finished on Friday 11th December. Another nearby private school had their Year 7-9 students finish up on the 5th December.

Last edited:
Private schools set their own end of year school dates. For example at my local private school, students finished on Tuesday 8th December, while staff finished on Friday 11th December. Another nearby private school had their Year 7-9 students finish up on the 5th December.
It seems to be the more you pay, the less your kids have to attend.

As a kid that was the time you wanted to be at school. You get to hang out with your friends, do some fun/bludgy stuff and kick the footy/play some cricket at lunchtime.

Watching DVD's is pointless but if teachers are arranging games/activities etc what is the harm? What is the alternative?

As a kid that was the time you wanted to be at school. You get to hang out with your friends, do some fun/bludgy stuff and kick the footy/play some cricket at lunchtime.

Watching DVD's is pointless but if teachers are arranging games/activities etc what is the harm? What is the alternative?

Personally, I'd like to see them check in with each kid individually (this is in primary school) to make sure they did get what they'd been taught that term rather than assuming it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Personally, I'd like to see them check in with each kid individually (this is in primary school) to make sure they did get what they'd been taught that term rather than assuming it.

How long does that take? What do the other 20-30 kids in the class do when the teacher is "checking in" with that kid?

is the OP trying to imply that the teachers are bludging during the last couple of weeks? - In my experience (of working at two different primary schools but not an actual classroom teacher) is that these last couple of weeks are super busy with a way more intense workload that normal...

I'd also go as far to make the assumption that the kids who tell their parents there's 'no point' in going to class in the final week are the kids whose parents a morons and are wrapped around their kids thumbs

is the OP trying to imply that the teachers are bludging during the last couple of weeks? - In my experience (of working at two different primary schools but not an actual classroom teacher) is that these last couple of weeks are super busy with a way more intense workload that normal...

I'd also go as far to make the assumption that the kids who tell their parents there's 'no point' in going to class in the final week are the kids whose parents a morons and are wrapped around their kids thumbs
Yep my mate who is a teacher has been ridiculously busy the past couple of weeks finalising his reports. So busy he's been unable to attend a number of events. I'm sure he totally has time to check in with 30 kids though :S

Having lunch today in the staff room at one of my schools, the entire faculty looked absolutely stuffed - Tonight is the year 6 graduation night and they'll have to be there til 9 or 10 tonight -

It really irks me when people try to make out teachers don't work hard
I know, and they'll only get 8 weeks off to recover as well!

Not at all, but there's something wrong with the structure of the term / year if the kids aren't doing anything. Either make it official and start holidays a week early and let the teachers complete their assessments or restructure the curriculum over the term.

Or parents get tired of asking what did you do today? "We watched two movies...."

Not at all, but there's something wrong with the structure of the term / year if the kids aren't doing anything. Either make it official and start holidays a week early and let the teachers complete their assessments or restructure the curriculum over the term.

Or parents get tired of asking what did you do today? "We watched two movies...."
The whole summer holiday thing is a relic of the past when it was decided (using no particular metric other than it sounded right) that young minds needed to lie fallow for a month or two.

They really should have a short period of a few weeks to review their results and prepare for next year's work, with time off over Christmas/New Years. I mean, they really should have a vertical curriculum where kids of different ages and abilities learn to their current capacity.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back