Speculation Liam Baker

Remove this Banner Ad

or they cough up pick 1 and we give them a bunch of useful picks.
Would need to be a decent haul of useful picks to justify giving up pick 1 for a Baker (even in an even draft); and that doesn’t seem to agree with what Richmond should be trying to do - get us much talent in as humanly possible for Tassie come

If he was a FA I’d agree and what if it starts costing more than than a F2? I think for us leper clubs that don’t get help, 27 is too old while in full rebuild mode unless free and need to make the most of every pick.

A free agent would be ideal, but we can’t let ideal be the enemy of good.

West Coast needs to bring in talent through all available mechanisms.

It depends on how open he is in his trade request. If he entertains going to Freo, then I think he gets there as Freo are in a better position to offer a trade. Freo’s worst first rounder gets it done in that scenario.

Like almost all prospects that return home to WA he will choose a club.

My sense is Baker wants to come home, wants to cash in on his form and leadership and wants a bigger deal. Richmond are well known for paying unders for role players, which baker has been for most of his career.

If that’s the case then the logical place is for him to come to west coast.

I hope we are tough in negotiations, and Richmond have historically been a decent club to deal with. If it’s more than a F2 I’d hope it doesn’t happen.

Convincing Baker to come is the hard part imo.

I think he will end up at west coast for a reasonable trade but who knows.

The 30-32 age group is still an important one to have quality players in. Baker was drafted late so has less miles on the clock, hasn't missed many games through injury as far as I'm aware and his game style doesn't particularly rely on pace or explosiveness, so I don't see why he can't be an effective player until 2030. By all reports he's a strong trainer, has a lot of work ethic and has experience in a premiership side, as well as possessing leadership qualities, would be a great get for us to fill in an age group we're missing players in. We should make a big play for Warner but they aren't mutually exclusive, we should have more money than any other club to spend over the next few years. If we can get some compo picks this year then we'd be stupid not to try and land him.
He run PB's in the 2km time trial this year, guys like McIntosh were impressed with he's running. his always been a pretty good runner usually just below our very best runners but apparently he took it to a new level in the pre-season.

Regardless what some people have reservations about him he is going to improve both Fremantle or West Coast.
He may not even be leaving, it could be just a investment property or life-after footy, I just think buying the year you are out of contract is suspicious.

It really all depends what Baker does for this year. If he shows whatever west coast or framantle want, finishes top 3 in the BnF, it changes things. If he stays where he is, around pick 20 does it.

It’s not about money for Richmond, we have Martin and Lynch coming out of their big contracts, and one probably going to Gold Coast.

He's 26 all season, so let's say he played good footy until 32 that's another 6 years beyond this season of good footy.

Even for a rebuilding club, that sort of experience and leadership is pretty important and he might even play in our next finals campaign, 2030 or so is an eternity away in football.

For that reason, I think he's worth a bit to us, yes he's uncontracted, but even given that anything less than 15-20 would be a poor result for us.

I'd happily keep him though, with how long he has left he still has a lot to contribute to our future.

Baker is more than just a player for a team like WC, he would help drive standards on the field with his courage and willingness to compete. These players are gold for rebuilding teams, also helps that he is a very good player regardless.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richmond should be trying to keep Baker.

They have made their bed in 2022 with those trades. They need to keep pushing now.

They would be compounding one awful error with another if they abandon their path and start pushing out their handful of good players in their 20s for draft picks.

or they cough up pick 1 and we give them a bunch of useful picks.

As long as one of them was stil a top 5 pick it would be plausible..

And the Eagles wouldnt split pick 1JUST to get Baker, they would do it to get additional picks later in the draft. Baker would just be caught up in the pick swaps IMO.

Just need Richmond to want a specific player at pick 1 to make it worth it for them.

No. What I mean is baker is not worth sliding back from pick 1 in any shape or form.

Pick 1 shouldn’t (and won’t) form part of the discussion.

Said the same.

But if we want to drop a couple of spots to generate picks no reason why Baker isnt included in discussions. Tigers have a heap of extra picks already this draft before any other trades.

Depend where Richmond finish.

Richmond should be trying to keep Baker.

They have made their bed in 2022 with those trades. They need to keep pushing now.

They would be compounding one awful error with another if they abandon their path and start pushing out their handful of good players in their 20s for draft picks.
And they are !!

Baker is on $600k a year and most probably will be offered similar or a tad above
Its going to cost any WA team $700k+ to move him and with Cap increases i would say most likely $800k+

Sure a 2nd rounder should get the deal done for a player on $800k x 5 years

And they are !!

Baker is on $600k a year and most probably will be offered similar or a tad above
Its going to cost any WA team $700k+ to move him and with Cap increases i would say most likely $800k+

Sure a 2nd rounder should get the deal done for a player on $800k x 5 years
If he moved and chose Freo, you might get the latest of whatever Freo's 1st round picks are because you will have a bit of leverage with West Coast waiting in the preseason draft.

If he chose West Coast, then I think you are going to have a problem.

Hence, I just think Richmond should be trying to keep him and try to be a player in free agency themselves.

If he moved and chose Freo, you might get the latest of whatever Freo's 1st round picks are because you will have a bit of leverage with West Coast waiting in the preseason draft.

If he chose West Coast, then I think you are going to have a problem.

Hence, I just think Richmond should be trying to keep him and try to be a player in free agency themselves.
We supporters think this way but clubs certainly dont and the best examples are the Higgins & CCj trades
North were dead seat last and had all bargaining power and saints similar with both players out of contract and selecting a club

Clubs know what the player is worth and players always want the smooth transition without burning their clubs they are leaving
specially a vice captain and 2 x premiership player he will make sure the club he selects acts in good faith and clubs will
with freo i think a pick between 10-15 what ever pick they have in that range will get it done and if its westocast there are multiple options with trading down picks etc and even if they dont then their 2nd this year and 2025

You dont pay a player $800k range and expect that it will be a 2nd rounder and clubs know they will pay the required asset to move a player

We supporters think this way but clubs certainly dont and the best examples are the Higgins & CCj trades
North were dead seat last and had all bargaining power and saints similar with both players out of contract and selecting a club

Clubs know what the player is worth and players always want the smooth transition without burning their clubs they are leaving
specially a vice captain and 2 x premiership player he will make sure the club he selects acts in good faith and clubs will
with freo i think a pick between 10-15 what ever pick they have in that range will get it done and if its westocast there are multiple options with trading down picks etc and even if they dont then their 2nd this year and 2025

You dont pay a player $800k range and expect that it will be a 2nd rounder and clubs know they will pay the required asset to move a player

I am not sure what you are arguing with me about.

If Baker leaves then you might get a pick in the teens from Fremantle, because they have three 1st round picks and won't want him going through the preseason draft.

West Coast aren't going to trade down their first pick to get Baker. I think your best outcome with West Coast would be a future 2nd or something similar to that in terms of a swap.

And either way if Richmond somehow end up with pick 15-20 for Baker, I am not sure how that really helps them moving forward. So I think they should be trying to retain him first and foremost.

They made a terrible decision at the end of 2022 to give up all those picks. Now they are in a jam.

Pivoting and trying to make up for that by letting go of guys like Baker is not going to help them. Same goes with Martin and Lynch, and anyone else who the media might suggest they should trade for picks.

Last edited:
Harley Reid for Baker and pick 3?
Funny
Not Funny Reaction GIF

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back