Speculation Liam Baker

Remove this Banner Ad

Time for some house cleaning.

1) Do not drag discussions or individual posts over here from other threads or boards.

Feel free to respond to those posts wherever they were posted, if you so choose.

2) Enough with the personal attacks. It’s a long season and this one may go the distance, so if you want to remain a part of the discussion, do it respectfully.

We will use thread bans and infractions if necessary.

My understanding is Richmond have enquired about Campbell Chesser

There are supporters who would ask where they need to sign in a heart beat.

I’m not one of them. He’s underdelivered on what you’d expect from a pick14 but we have been persevering with him this year and he is starting to ever so slowly start showing more and more.

It’d be a high risk move for west coast as Chesser could come on quickly and we’d look very silly for doing the deal.

Chesser is contracted and a 21 year old pick 14. It’s not something where we would do a straight swap.

Hopefully we shut it down quick smart.

There are supporters who would ask where they need to sign in a heart beat.

I’m not one of them. He’s underdelivered on what you’d expect from a pick14 but we have been persevering with him this year and he is starting to ever so slowly start showing more and more.

It’d be a high risk move for west coast as Chesser could come on quickly and we’d look very silly for doing the deal.

Chesser is contracted and a 21 year old pick 14. It’s not something where we would do a straight swap.

Hopefully we shut it down quick smart.

Agree with all this. From what I was told the thinking is around alternatives to West Coast splitting their pick, which Richmond initially think is unlikely they will do. All obviously with a grain of salt at the moment.

At the end of the day though, West Coast will need to cough up something of value.

For mine. Baker is worth a pick between 11 and 15.

Agree with all this. From what I was told the thinking is around alternatives to West Coast splitting their pick, which Richmond initially think is unlikely they will do. All obviously with a grain of salt at the moment.

At the end of the day though, West Coast will need to cough up something of value.

For mine. Baker is worth a pick between 11 and 15.

To be honest, an alternative would be Bailey Williams who could be 2nd ruck/forward and from Melbourne.

It’d leave us exposed on ruck stocks but we have Matt Flynn coming back and with Oscar Allen, Waterman, Maric, Jack Willliams all being better forwards Bailey might fall out of favour.

To be honest, an alternative would be Bailey Williams who could be 2nd ruck/forward and from Melbourne.

It’d leave us exposed on ruck stocks but we have Matt Flynn coming back and with Oscar Allen, Waterman, Maric, Jack Willliams all being better forwards Bailey might fall out of favour.
I like Bailey Williams. Under rated IMO. We don't need a 2nd ruck though, we already have Balta, Ryan and Lefau who can all play that role.

I like Bailey Williams. Under rated IMO. We don't need a 2nd ruck though, we already have Balta, Ryan and Lefau who can all play that role.

He’s a forward who can ruck.

Good athleticism, is really starting to clink his marks, does need to straighten up his goal kicking slightly more, but it’s fixable.

He’d go well with talls you have.

Would let you play gibcus and Balta down back. Williams and Lefau up forward and Samson in the ruck.

Would be a good set of developing talls.

Really really hope we don't do that, he's in the perfect age group for us and as stated is starting to come along.
Would probably end up with egg on our faces down the road swapping for an older OOC player and picks.

Last edited:
Really really hope we don't do that, he's in the perfect age group for us and as stated is starting to come along.
Would probably end up with h egg on our faces down the road swapping for an older OOC player and picks.
I dont know much about him myself, but doesnt seem to doing much from what I can find on him?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely that would be a massive non-starter on both ends no? Richmond won't want Baker to be traded with a handful of magic beans being the central asset received, and West Coast won't want someone they risked pick 14 on to be valued as a handful of magic beans.

He’s a forward who can ruck.

Good athleticism, is really starting to clink his marks, does need to straighten up his goal kicking slightly more, but it’s fixable.

He’d go well with talls you have.

Would let you play gibcus and Balta down back. Williams and Lefau up forward and Samson in the ruck.

Would be a good set of developing talls.
Looks like a mobile ruckman to me, not a forward. I'd take him, but not as a swap for Baker.

Balta could've played back this year, yze reckons he's a forward. I reckon Samson will be our #1 ruck when Nank retires.

Surely that would be a massive non-starter on both ends no? Richmond won't want Baker to be traded with a handful of magic beans being the central asset received, and West Coast won't want someone they risked pick 14 on to be valued as a handful of magic beans.

Is a draft pick not a handful of magic beans, as you say?

There less uncertainty around Chesser than there is on getting a draft pick back.

A bit on Baker from Herald Sun (Jon Ralph).

Keeping in mind Pyke was on radio in the last couple of weeks saying we would be very interested in Baker if he was to become available.

Liam Baker is seen as keen to get to West Coast, with his teammates well aware of his club of choice.

Fremantle is still interested and has three first-round picks.

When Jordan Clark returned from Geelong he saw West Coast as a probable landing spot.

He had to be told explicitly by West Coast they just weren’t interested before he eventually got on board with making Fremantle his home.

So given West Coast would have to split its first-round pick to get Baker – offering a first-rounder in the back-end of that round – it is by no means a fait accompli that Baker gets to West Coast.

But it will be the starting point in negotiations, and whatever the case the Tigers will need a pick within 15 to get a deal done.”

so west coast are very interested , that means the deal will get done, and everyone will get what they want

Is a draft pick not a handful of magic beans, as you say?

There less uncertainty around Chesser than there is on getting a draft pick back.
If that's true, it wouldn't be as a compliment to Chesser - "less uncertainty" in his case would mean lowering his ceiling, coz right now his floor is below "would start for most AFL teams", which is pretty uncertain for a 3rd year player.

I look to the 2022 trade period in my estimation that it won't happen coz West Coast and Richmond would value Chesser too far apart: at the time, both Sharp and Henry were contracted, both wanted to leave (there's actually not the equivalent noise for Chesser, so even less of a reason for it to happen), both had a year left on their deals, both for various reasons had significant question marks and weren't playing consistently at AFL level.

In each case, it didn't happen because buying clubs (to the extent that there were any for Henry at the time) didn't value them as highly as the selling clubs (Freo having matched a bid at pick 9 on Henry, Gold Coast having traded a pick 11 for his pick 27). They leave the following year, with Henry having increased his stock having played consistently decent footy the back end of the year, Sharp having reduced his playing in the VFL all of 2023. We get a St Kilda F2 for Henry which is probably more than any team would've offered at the time, Sharp leaves for free.

Reads differently in the T&F thread on your board.
Unless gold coast are planning on paying 2 or more first round picks Rioli is a non starter, despite the inevitable speculation when a side is down the bottom. I very much bigfooty posters are indicative of the clubs thinking

I dont know much about him myself, but doesnt seem to doing much from what I can find on him?
Wouldn't be getting a game in most teams but is coming from a long way back due to injuries. It would sting if he comes good at another team after pumping games into him. He is a very good athlete, game sense and positioning is the problem at the moment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back