tropicaltiger

🏆2017 🏆2019 🏆2020
Jan 4, 2002
cairns
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Snakes
When Ling made the comment that Enright was the 2nd best player he had played with.........

So im thinking to myself yeah Gary Jnr, daylight then maybe Bartell, Selwood, Scarlett amongsts others as they've had a few beauties..... Then Ling chimes in again by saying that Matty Scarlett
was the best, Nearly fell out my chair....Scarlett for mine was a ripper no doubt but surely his first couple of years were nothing special and his last 2/3 he actually struggled before retireing before he would have got the arse.

Ling probably knows his teammates better than people outside the club, he's entitled to his opinion.

Don't see it as him being disrespectful to Ablett and I don't think Ablett would be losing sleep over it.

9vXU26E.gif

Ablett played 4 great seasons alongside Ling.

Scarlett played probably 10 and Enright seems to be rated incredibly highly inside the club and by Geelong supporters and was a contributer from the moment he entered the club.

He'd be pretty well placed to have an opinion on the matter, and maybe he's one of the few people in footy who rates the work of defenders, after all he is coming from the point of view of an elite tagger.

He also said that it was due to them playing there for more seasons than Ablett....

You must have missed that part in the midst of your outrage.

I actually turned to my mate at the time of hearing that and we both laughed out loud.

What, the brownlow, runner up brownlow, 2 x MVP and the rest of his achievements at the cats weren't enough for Lingy?

Also, Ling came to the Club in 1999, Ablett in 2001, Ablett missed Ling's final year.

Im not sure the 2000, 2001, 2010 seasons of Scarlett and Enright get them above Gary Ablett personally..........

We both thought it was a bit of a slap in the face at the time......

When Ling made the comment that Enright was the 2nd best player he had played with.........

So im thinking to myself yeah Gary Jnr, daylight then maybe Bartell, Selwood, Scarlett amongsts others as they've had a few beauties..... Then Ling chimes in again by saying that Matty Scarlett
was the best, Nearly fell out my chair....Scarlett for mine was a ripper no doubt but surely his first couple of years were nothing special and his last 2/3 he actually struggled before retireing before he would have got the arse.
What is your point? Where is it written that all Geelong players must rank GAJ as the best they have played with?

It is clear Lingy is basing his OPINION on output over a long period of time.

Scarlett is regarded by many (including the Geelong Advertiser who ranked the all time top 100 Geelong players) as the best Geelong footballer since Ablett Snr. Scarlett was Geelong's best before we won the 2007 premiership - he won AA in 2003. GAJ became a star in 2007, and left 4 years later.

Enright, like Scarlett, has been a consistent high achiever over may years.

Also, Lingy probably knows he made GAJ's job a little bit easier at Geelong by tagging out the best opposition midfielder.

What is your point? Where is it written that all Geelong players must rank GAJ as the best they have played with?

Scarlett is regarded by many (including the Geelong Advertiser who ranked the all time top 100 Geelong players) as the best Geelong footballer since Ablett Snr. Scarlett was Geelong's best before we won the 2007 premiership - he won AA in 2003. GAJ became a star in 2007, and left 4 years later.

Also, Lingy probably knows he made GAJ's job a little bit easier at Geelong by tagging out the best opposition midfielder.

Ablett might of been half the player he was to become from 2002-2006, but surely the same applies to Scarlett?

He was a good player from about 2007-2010, but he wasn't close to his best of his younger days...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Off corse he will say that. just remeber ablett took off for money deep down lingy is still proably bit annoyed lol
I think you'll find Cameron Ling is not short of a $$, so doubt whether GAJ leaving for big $$ would have annoyed him. Let's not forget Ling became a premiership captain in 2011 without GAJ in the team.

Ablett might of been half the player he was to become from 2002-2006, but surely the same applies to Scarlett?

He was a good player from about 2007-2010, but he wasn't close to his best of his younger days...
I'm just trying to understand what you wrote......Scarlett was AA in 2003, 2004, 2007–2009, 2011, and B&F in 2003. So between 2003 and 2011 Scarlett was a gun defender - that's 9 years.

What about Nathan Brown saying that Cotchin is the best player to walk in to Punt Road in the last 50 years.

Must have forgotten about blokes like Royce Hart and Kevin Bartlett......and Jeff Hogg

What about Nathan Brown saying that Cotchin is the best player to walk in to Punt Road in the last 50 years.

Must have forgotten about blokes like Royce Hart and Kevin Bartlett......and Jeff Hogg
And himself...

Boris achieved AA 4 years straight as did Gaz. Fairly even on that front you would think. Boris has one 1 flag more than Gaz. Boris has same number of Cats BnF as Gaz.

Gaz has Brownlow (posiiton based awards really - when did you see a non mid win one lately)

Ling's comment has merit.

Go Catters

Didn't ling read Andrew Gaze's text on Saturday night?

Really lost respect for Ling on this one.

I'm just trying to understand what you wrote......Scarlett was AA in 2003, 2004, 2007–2009, 2011, and B&F in 2003. So between 2003 and 2011 Scarlett was a gun defender - that's 9 years.

Of course he was a gun defender.

But there is a difference.

He wasn't at his best from 2008 onwards, he was gifted a few AA gurnseys purely by reputation, I mean how many did you get in 2008, 13 AA's? o_O

A gun defender vs quite probably the greatest midfielder of the modern era................................

Regardless of his start, Ablett's, 4-5 years is every bit comparable to Scarletts 9 in my opinion.

Both Ablett and Enright are B & F winners in a Premiership season. Ling's opinion is his own. And he is entitled to have his opinion.

Enright seems to be massively respected within the Geelong football club so I am not surprised that Ling rates him highly. His Best and Fairest results are testament to the fact. Couple that with the fact that Ablett's peak at Geelong was relatively brief and that they improved when he left and it should be that surprisingly that Ling holds others in higher esteem.

We seem to be in a situation where any suggestion that Gary Ablett Jnr is not the most amazing player ever is met with an incredulous reaction. Hopefully that will pass.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back