Why Carlton have been promising so much yet delivering so little for so long.

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure Cripps Walsh Weitering McKay and Curnow are really types who look happy losing. Probably 5 of the most competitive players on our list

Whilst true they have been brought up season after season happy to take the top picks. No surprise it improved once you traded in Hewett, etc coming from winning cultures

Whilst true they have been brought up season after season happy to take the top picks. No surprise it improved once you traded in Hewett, etc coming from winning cultures

This is a very simplistic way of looking at things, particularly given we’ve had players “from winning cultures” at the club through some of our worst years.

Say it's more to do with Brian Cook, Luke Sayers and Michael Voss. Hewett has definitely helped but players most pivotal to our turnaround are players who came from the draft or that we traded in from similarly ordinary teams.

Not sure Cripps Walsh Weitering McKay and Curnow are really types who look happy losing and fall into this 'losing culture's u say was installed on them. Probably 5 of the most competitive players on our list and the biggest drivers of the club as a whole.
Almost. Of the 5 players you listed above , 4 are totally driven to win. McKay not so much, I have seen him in games throw in the towel and not so desperate to fight it out when the bounce of the ball doesn’t go his way. Drops his head far too easily.

Almost. Of the 5 players you listed above , 4 are totally driven to win. McKay not so much, I have seen him in games throw in the towel and not so desperate to fight it out when the bounce of the ball doesn’t go his way. Drops his head far too easily.
Respectfully, completely disagree. McKay puts his body on the line every week he plays and regardless of having the yips and a few brain fades through the season he tries his guts out every game.

They have turned the corner to be fair a bit, HOWEVER I still query installing a losing culture into players, all of their top players (until they traded in some players from winning sides) were used to losing their whole careers. That said I won't be shocked if they come in the same region as their ladder position this year, anywhere in the 5-10 range.
There's a North Melbourne under Brad Scott vibe about this Carlton team.

North 2013 = Carlton 2022, very talented and dangerous sides that somehow missed finals.
North 2014 = Carlton 2023, won a couple of finals at the MCG by the skin of their teeth and lost an interstate preliminary final to the runners up.
North 2015 = Carlton 2024, finish 5th-8th on the ladder again and win a final or two, but no grand final appearance let alone silverware.

There's a North Melbourne under Brad Scott vibe about this Carlton team.

North 2013 = Carlton 2022, very talented and dangerous sides that somehow missed finals.
North 2014 = Carlton 2023, won a couple of finals at the MCG by the skin of their teeth and lost an interstate preliminary final to the runners up.
North 2015 = Carlton 2024, finish 5th-8th on the ladder again and win a final or two, but no grand final appearance let alone silverware.
Correct me if I'm wrong but weren't those north Melbourne teams some of the oldest in the history of the competition? We have 1 player over the age of 30 on our whole list

You don't think our progression has coincided with our best players coming into their primes and playing some footy together as a group?

* off maniac go watch the 2014 semi to get your kicks.
Stop shitting on the anchors
Support someone else
Freomaniac is a big fan of Ken Hinkley and is on record saying he'd replace Justin Longmuir with Ken Hinkley if given the chance.
Do you think he would be more suited to supporting Port?
He lives in Adelaide so that's another box ticked for being a potential Port supporter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Freomaniac is a big fan of Ken Hinkley and is on record saying he'd replace Justin Longmuir with Ken Hinkley if given the chance.
He lives in Adelaide so that's another box ticked for being a potential Port supporter.
He seems to really admire port losing the last 5 knock out finals.
A fair few port supporters aren’t renewing because of the standard Ken has set so they’re screaming out for more 11 game members.
So it’s win win for maniac to jump ship to the Power

This is gonna be a shock to you, But I actually live in the Port Adelaide area.

I also went to a High School called le Fevre High school. Lindsay Thomas was in my year group too.

All you gotta do is look at their logo... Port Colours of black, white and teal.

made it worse was I went there from 2001-2005. Port constantly made top 4 and got a flag in that 5 year run while I only saw freo made finals in 2003.
He seems to really admire port losing the last 5 knock out finals.
A fair few port supporters aren’t renewing because of the standard Ken has set so they’re screaming out for more 11 game members.
So it’s win win for maniac to jump ship to the Power
not a chance in hell. lol

I dislike Port. But I at least Acknowledge their success since 2010 onwards.

I will always savour the dockers 2012-15 finals run. Glad the dockers at least made a final in 2013. So as a dockers fan, finals is very few and far between.

This is gonna be a shock to you, But I actually live in the Port Adelaide area.

I also went to a High School called le Fevre High school. Lindsay Thomas was in my year group too.

All you gotta do is look at their logo... Port Colours of black, white and teal.

made it worse was I went there from 2001-2005. Port constantly made top 4 and got a flag in that 5 year run while I only saw freo made finals in 2003.

not a chance in hell. lol

I will always savour the dockers 2012-15 finals run. Glad the dockers at least made a final in 2013. So as a dockers fan, finals is very few and far between.
What success freo have played in a grandfinal and have won a knock out final more recently.
Their success was in the 2000s

Again.... I dont expect Fremantle to ever win a flag, maybe the AFLW one.

Saying that, I said I dont mind Hinkley as a dockers coach for 8-10, may even 12 seasons. 2 or 3 or 4 finals wins would suit me too. 2 year of finals here and 3 years in a row of finals there.

I would love to do what Port did in 2013-4 or what North did in 2014-6 or Even what carlton did from 2009-11.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back