Toby Greene- let’s show some love

Remove this Banner Ad

Greene missed a fortnight, Bontempelli played every game if you feel getting injured matters.

In 2023 GWS has 9 top 10 draft picks on their list even after dumping so many last year. Footscray has 6. Footscray have an objectively less talented list. Prior to the season Footscray were rated as having the second toughest draw, GWS the fifth.

Not the best captain by any objective measure. If we're going by feeeeeelings, well I feel like he's not a great captain.

I've given 4 other current and former captains plus Tom Stewart (a noted leader at geelong) as alternatives, all of them in the AA squad, and all with cleaner records and less talented lists.

The outstanding candidate is the Bont.

The outstanding candidate (Bont) who captained a side that flopped and missed the 8...wasn't that great. This was a Dogs side many had in the top 5-6, they missed the 8! It was either Greene or Moore, and they went with the player that didn't miss many games and whose side improved substancially.

The outstanding candidate (Bont) who captained a side that flopped and missed the 8...wasn't that great. This was a Dogs side many had in the top 5-6, they missed the 8! It was either Greene or Moore, and they went with the player that didn't miss many games and whose side improved substancially.
Right so you say it's about the ladder.

Capt Darcy Moore then? Won about 5 more games than Toby with a couple less played, must be an awesome captain.

Right so you say it's about the ladder.

Capt Darcy Moore then? Won about 5 more games than Toby with a couple less played, must be an awesome captain.

Not against Moore, but he missed a month and lets be real have the Pies improved much they made a prelim last year. They have rewarded improvement and the captain plays a big role. If Merett was in the starting side could make a case for him on that basis. I had Greene as the best captain so not shocked.

Cyclops you complain about our gifts etc. saying we have superstars.

Over 12 years how many of our gifts have gone on to be great? I mean to listen to here and the media we are a sieve of leaking talent and stars to other clubs.
Yet we have only seen probably Cameron, Steel, Adams in that long period do anything.
I'm not complaining. GWS has to get a start somehow.

Adams Treloar and Hoskin Elliot all starred for us, injury crippled Treloar but he's still a regular at the Dogs.

I'd say you've been targeted by the other clubs. The AFLs help is usually two edged and from what I hear they have kept the rest of the club on a very tight budget: as a Pie I can see the benefit of our off field wealth but the suits at the AFL maybe dont?

Thus is not a GWS hate crime. I object to Greenes AA captaincy, not hi a AA selection.

Last year was a strange one too, Hawkins is well liked nut not really a captain either. I had a whinge then too.

Not against Moore, but he missed a month and lets be real have the Pies improved much they made a prelim last year. They have rewarded improvement and the captain plays a big role. If Merett was in the starting side could make a case for him on that basis. I had Greene as the best captain so not shocked.
So is it weighted by game? Whats the formula youre using because Greene missed a fortnight and won less games...

It is nominally for best not most improved. If it was you'd haveca point, Greene has massively improved as a captain.

However Moore wasn't captain, so his improvement iinfinite.e.

BTW the players voted him best captain 2023. And best player.

I take their choice with due care, it's been trolled before (Brisbane bullied a Collingwood player all voting for him as most courageous in 2003, Ryan Loney, he didn't deserve to be done like that, finished 4th overall IIRC) but I think this is sincere. The AFLPA rate Bont the better captain in 2023.

So is it weighted by game? Whats the formula youre using because Greene missed a fortnight and won less games...

It is nominally for best not most improved. If it was you'd haveca point, Greene has massively improved as a captain.

However Moore wasn't captain, so his improvement iinfinite.e.

Of course it's weighted and it's a reward for how much GWS have improved under Greene's leadership. Similarly Kingsley should get coach of the year and that's despite McRae being the likely Grand Final winning coach. Bont captained a side that went worse! You can't pick him as captain, up to a captain to inspire.

Of course it's weighted and it's a reward for how much GWS have improved under Greene's leadership. Similarly Kingsley should get coach of the year and that's despite McRae being the likely Grand Final winning coach. Bont captained a side that went worse! You can't pick him as captain, up to a captain to inspire.
Kingsley i can see your point He's done amazingly but it doesn't get the Press Collingwood does.

Ditto last year, Chris Scott backed up for the umpteenth time, it's like people were bored by his continued high performance? Pies got all the press add McRae gets the gong. I love him but Scott did it again with an increasingly battered list.

McRae was a top 3 coach no doubt, but it's not quibbling to plead Scott's or Kingsleys case.

Bont is different. He improved his game this year (to cover the loss of Dunckley) and should take the Brownlow. Tg ats not the captaincy of course.

I think he led his team amazingly as usual and their fewer wins are down to the game plan being passed by and maybe slumps from guys like Smith and McRae and their defence? I think it's the coaching panel.

Didn't see all the Giants or Digs games of course so that's another caveat. When I do see Bont I am always impressed by the example ge sets, how he backs up his team mates, and at the ground you really see him directing traffic and encouraging blokes. One of the very best IMHO, captain and player.

Loved him when he was a s**t-stirring little rat, love him now as a more mature leader. Happily follow the bloke into battle. Easily one of my favourite current players

(Log in to remove this ad.)

🤣 the social media generation 🙄

Whatever dummy.

All I know is that Toby Greene, for as great a player as he is has repeatedly gone out of his way to deliberately hurt his opponents by playing outside of the rules. And as far as I am concerned that makes him a pretty ordinary human.

Not sure what that opinion has to do with what generation you (ignorantly) think I am part of but keep drawing those long bows nimwit.

Whatever dummy.

All I know is that Toby Greene, for as great a player as he is has repeatedly gone out of his way to deliberately hurt his opponents by playing outside of the rules. And as far as I am concerned that makes him a pretty ordinary human.

Not sure what that opinion has to do with what generation you (ignorantly) think I am part of but keep drawing those long bows nimwit.
You complain about drawing long bows but think someone is a scumbag as a bloke who you have never met because he plays close to the line.🤣

Whose the idiot?
Dummy? Now I know you are a child.

Last edited:
You complain about drawing long bows but think someone will s a scumbag as a bloke who you have never met because he plays close to the line.🤣

Whose the idiot?
Dummy? Now I know you are a child.

“Close to the line.”

Well that is a very generous position on what the rest of us call cheating (and intending to injure).

Great player. Grub.👍

Once again you make an assumption.

Not at all. He's a grub.

And your panties being in a twist over me calling it out is just bizarre. All teams have them. Brisbane have Zorko as an example and my mob Hawthorn have had plenty over the years. I don't have any time for players who deliberately (and frequently) go beyond the rules of the game in order to injure other players. Greene has a history of doing so, therefore I question his character.

Enjoy the prelim. I hope you beat Collingwood tonight.:thumbsu:

Not at all. He's a grub.

And your panties being in a twist over me calling it out is just bizarre. All teams have them. Brisbane have Zorko as an example and my mob Hawthorn have had plenty over the years. I don't have any time for players who deliberately (and frequently) go beyond the rules of the game in order to injure other players. Greene has a history of doing so, therefore I question his character.

Enjoy the prelim. I hope you beat Collingwood tonight.:thumbsu:
No panties in a twist, amused.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back