Toby Greene- let’s show some love

Remove this Banner Ad

Or discuss it in a thread about Toby Greene?

The AA committee was Matthew Pavlich, Laura Kane, Gillon McLachlan, Kevin Bartlett, Jude Bolton, Nathan Buckley, Kane Cornes, Andrew Dillon, Glen Jakovich, Chris Johnson and Cameron Ling. Either ex-player/journalists or AFL suits.

Why would AFL suits and their media allies make such a strange choice?

I feel the suits and the journalists are trying to generate a feel good vibe for the Giants to inject interest into a fake team that given the tonnes of talent and money injected over many years hasn't grabbed that eye-catching flag that would help expand the AFL in the Sydney market.

They crept into the finals on the back of a soft draw and heaps of high draft picks this year after falling part in the last two seasons, so I can see why they need help if they are to do more than just participate. I suspect Greene's undisciplined and selfish play probably cost them on several occasions and hastened Leon Cameron's exit.

It certainly diminishes the AA as an honour, maybe they get a few rating points for the prelim in the Sydney market.

I mean its the same point I've been making for pages. White knights keep popping up to defend Greene but there's no substance to their arguments. Every point falls over on examination.

Struggled the last two seasons?

Interesting. Not sure what sort of draft hand making the second week of the 2021 finals would yield but anyway. Even allowing for that - where else do teams who miss finals and then make finals usually come from?

Yes I’m certain his last two seasons of output of 3.5 combined goals and assists and roughly 16-17 touches a game was a big driving force behind Leon Cameron’s exit.

Struggled the last two seasons?

Interesting. Not sure what sort of draft hand making the second week of the 2021 finals would yield but anyway. Even allowing for that - where else do teams who miss finals and then make finals usually come from?

Yes I’m certain his last two seasons of output of 3.5 combined goals and assists and roughly 16-17 touches a game was a big driving force behind Leon Cameron’s exit.
Missed about 6 games last year and was pushing all Australian. 2.5 goals a game Curnow with the Coleman averaged about 2.8

Getting suspended in the finals (was it for pushing an ump?) didn't help Leon Cameron's cause.

He has talent but isn't high quality captaincy material.

Credit to Kingsley he has turned GWS around. They had quality before he took over but it felt like it was being wasted.

Making Greene captain may be a masterstroke if it's made him pull his thick head in and be less of a grub.

Still nothing concrete to defend Greenes captaincy ITT.

Getting suspended in the finals (was it for pushing an ump?) didn't help Leon Cameron's cause.

He has talent but isn't high quality captaincy material.

Credit to Kingsley he has turned GWS around. They had quality before he took over but it felt like it was being wasted.

Making Greene captain may be a masterstroke if it's made him pull his thick head in and be less of a grub.

Still nothing concrete to defend Greenes captaincy ITT.

Good thing it doesn’t need defending as his only season as stand alone captain has seen them make a preliminary final.

Next someone will feel the need to defend the decision to make Kingsley the coach.

Good thing it doesn’t need defending as his only season as stand alone captain has seen them make a preliminary final.

Next someone will feel the need to defend the decision to make Kingsley the coach.
Why would anyone doubt Kingsley? He's turned around a club after a bad year.

You're making weird arguments in favour of this fella Greene. He's a talented player but not the best captain, according to current players and coaches.

I looked at wiki and I may have got the panel wrong, most of the names are right though.

You don't think he's a better leader than Danger or Stewart do you? I know Stewart had a report for some incident some time ago but it was not his normal style and he's generally an exemplary player and leader. I'd back him (and as I say many more) ahead of the kicker.

Surely Bont is a better captain, and by a distinct margin. The criticisms you raised were frivolous.

You're making weird arguments in favour of this fella Greene. He's a talented player but not the best captain, according to current players and coaches.

I looked at wiki and I may have got the panel wrong, most of the names are right though.

You don't think he's a better leader than Danger or Stewart do you? I know Stewart had a report for some incident some time ago but it was not his normal style and he's generally an exemplary player and leader. I'd back him (and as I say many more) ahead of the kicker.

Surely Bont is a better captain, and by a distinct margin. The criticisms you raised were frivolous.

Yes, amazingly I rate someone who’s clearly been a better leader of his side this year, as being better than the leaders of my side this year.

I won’t give two hoots about my captains record I just want him to lead and do anything to win and stand up on the big occasions.

Leigh Matthews record was not great but I’d love to run out behind him.

Darcy Moore= Tim Paine - poster boy makes good speeches and PR

Toby Greene= Steve Smith - Few Blemishes but an amazing talent and ability to stand up n big moments, not liked by everyone but a hell of a lot better player and leader.

There’s been a shift in Toby with the captaincy, his own personal performance and a hint he’s become a better citizen also.

He’s obviously a big reason GWS have been kicking butt.

Great to see him do so well - might meet them in the GF soon ;).

Collingwood supporter arguing very aggressively about whether a player at another club is or isn't a good Captain, despite having no real way of knowing this outside of the actual club, and calling said player a grub, when their club is playing that side in a Prelim this weekend wasn't on my BigFooty Bingo card for the week.

Darcy Moore= Tim Paine - poster boy makes good speeches and PR

Toby Greene= Steve Smith - Few Blemishes but an amazing talent and ability to stand up n big moments, not liked by everyone but a hell of a lot better player and leader.
Yeah nah, Fev was never a captain. Not a leader either. More of nice idiot.

Very unconvincing comparisons.

Moore is unproven, we've had a lucky run with a gun coach. We'll see how he goes when times are tough.

Twice the leader Greene is in my view. And the players veiw.

Moore is unproven, we've had a lucky run with a gun coach. We'll see how he goes when times are tough.

Fev?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One thing's for sure, GWS are going to need him at his absolute best if they're to win on Friday night. Going to need him to find Carey or Selwood or Dusty gamebreaker mode in a massive final to drag them over the line. It'll be interesting to see if he's really got it in him.

One thing's for sure, GWS are going to need him at his absolute best if they're to win on Friday night. Going to need him to find Carey or Selwood or Dusty gamebreaker mode in a massive final to drag them over the line. It'll be interesting to see if he's really got it in him.

He’s got it in him. Look at his finals record. His scoreboard impact actually goes up by about half a goal a game (goals and assists). There have been 2 where he couldn’t get near it but apart from that he’s been strong on nearly every other final he’s played.

Ginnivan wasn't made AA captain, Greene was. Greene isn't a noted leader, he still engages in unsportsmanlike like conduct and until recently he was a blight on the game.

To award this acratching kicking ducking flopper Greene the AA captaincy ahead of a proven respected leader and champion player such as Bontempelli is a joke.

Even Sicily and Walker with their character problems are comfortably better captains. Moore is only a recent captain but is respected as a leader and a player. Tom Stewart is also a respected leader. There's a bunch of clearly better options than Greene in the squad.

This reads as a marketing exercise to promote a fake club in the Sydney market.

Yep, us Pies love love little Ginni for his cheeky skills but the ducking is shameful and it has cost him: he now misses out on frees and brought that on himself.

The excuse offered here is "Greene cheats but he's also good at not cheating so disregard the cheating and he deserves an award".

Hahahahhaa sorry hahahaha……

Oh wait let me read your argument again…

lol

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Well I agree he's improved his character a lot but it's off a tremendously low base.

He's still a push-and-sneak-out-the-back forward, still plays for frees etc.

Definitely not AA captaincy material if it means anything especially compared to Bontempelli.

Is that a fair point? To state the Bont is a more respected captain than Greene? He's a far better player too.

It's just weird a guy who's not the best player or the best captain gets made AA captain.

I have four others in there I rate better captains than Greene. Arguably all better players too.

Well I agree he's improved his character a lot but it's off a tremendously low base.

He's still a push-and-sneak-out-the-back forward, still plays for frees etc.

Definitely not AA captaincy material if it means anything especially compared to Bontempelli.

Is that a fair point? To state the Bont is a more respected captain than Greene? He's a far better player too.

It's just weird a guy who's not the best player or the best captain gets made AA captain.

I have four others in there I rate better captains than Greene. Arguably all better players too.

I was enjoying the Barbie movie, but for entertainment value, your saltiness is absolute box office and I applauded you 🧂

If there was a Logie for saltiness, my friend I would vote for you in a second.

Dogs supporter by any chance?

No club would take him first if they had a brain. no one. He comes with baggage and he's 30. What sort of a question is that?

Leave it out about Footscray having a better list than GWS, they have been loaded with top 10 picks for almost a decade, Footscray have a patched together list. The fact Footscray won a flag was due to VicBias finals scheduling and brilliant coaching. GWS have been given (way above and beyond any other club, even Sydney) every possible chance to succeed with money and draft picks etc, as well as a wonderful social media support too. Remember Footscray had a GWS reject as ruck/forward in 2016?

And sure if you run a poll on this site you might get some 13 year olds suggesting he's the GOAT because they saw FOX footy one time. And yes many small forwards play for frees. None of them is AA captain. This is irrelevant.

The relevant question is not if Greene can play, or if other lairs lairise. It is should a known clown gouger ducker and flopper be AA captain, ahead of Bontempelli, or Moore, or Walker, or even Sicily or Stewart? I contend he's not a better captain than any of them, nor is he a better player than any of them.

Given there is a very strange element to his selection, what explains it?

Last year a non captain Tom Hawkins was named AA captain. Hawkins is an almost universally admired player of great skill, size and ability. I feel he was rewarded for a long career of exemplary play: he's not a noted leader but he's a lovely bloke.

That can't be Greene's justification. He has a long career of unsportsmanlike behaviour including a rule change because of his habit of scraping other players with his stops. if you have played any footy at all you will know how reviled kickers and scratchers are, his innovation was to be both at the same time.

He changed to a less slimy grub for 1 (one) season. He wasn't top five in the AFLPA captains award, although he was 5th in the MVP. Tellingly Bont won both. In the coaches award Boint was second to Butters, Greene was ninth.

Its very clear to expert eyes (and to my ignorant eyes too) Bont is a far better player and a far better captain.

So why is he AA captain?

Footscray better list . The fun continues

I’m going to call the giants media team and see if they will sign you up. Because you are hilarious my friend

Have you considered stand up ?

I reckon you would be good

Let me know when tickets go on sale: I’ll be front row throwing the tomatoes

How is the opinions of people on this site relevant to the choices of the AA selectors?

Dismissing Bont as leading a team stacked with premiership talent is a joke, they have far fewer top 10 picks because GWS got them all for years, the reverse is 100% true of the grub Greene. The "Orange Tsunami" is stacked with players gifted them.

Did a quick Google, Greene also has form for spitting and bumping umps., and an assault charge off field. All erased by a year where the worst he did was flop and be selfish. Captaincy material.

Your arguments are weak. Got anything else to suggest Greene is a better choice than the Bont?

19c5a648b067baf7492877ebe831b728.jpg

Or discuss it in a thread about Toby Greene?

The AA committee was Matthew Pavlich, Laura Kane, Gillon McLachlan, Kevin Bartlett, Jude Bolton, Nathan Buckley, Kane Cornes, Andrew Dillon, Glen Jakovich, Chris Johnson and Cameron Ling. Either ex-player/journalists or AFL suits.

Why would AFL suits and their media allies make such a strange choice?

I feel the suits and the journalists are trying to generate a feel good vibe for the Giants to inject interest into a fake team that given the tonnes of talent and money injected over many years hasn't grabbed that eye-catching flag that would help expand the AFL in the Sydney market.

They crept into the finals on the back of a soft draw and heaps of high draft picks this year after falling part in the last two seasons, so I can see why they need help if they are to do more than just participate. I suspect Greene's undisciplined and selfish play probably cost them on several occasions and hastened Leon Cameron's exit.

It certainly diminishes the AA as an honour, maybe they get a few rating points for the prelim in the Sydney market.

I mean its the same point I've been making for pages. White knights keep popping up to defend Greene but there's no substance to their arguments. Every point falls over on examination.

eb43adae9dde973da4def07d96bb43e7.jpg

You don’t know Shi*% about the players view hahahah. You are an idiot. I can guarantee you don’t even know what the MCG toilet cleaners opinion ma are either. It’s your opinion ! And clearly you are the only one that has it in this thread. And it’s not even on the giants board. It’s the main board

But you keep arguing it and making yourself look more and more and more silly 🤪

Haha

I can't warm up to him because of his kicking and eye gouging incidents.
I regard him as a dirty player.
Kicking? Riewoldt used to do the same thing. It’s the reason they got rid of the Toby Greene Rule.

Face contact is meh supposedly considering Carlton’s efforts.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back