Player Watch Mark Keane (Retired 2022, Crows SSP 2023)

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting….

Reckon we only lost him because Covid hit so he went home to Ireland

How did he end up at Adelaide anyway?

Wouldn’t he have had to either come to us or enter the draft???

By taking a year out of the game he basically ended up with unrestricted free agent privileges.

What’s to stop a player from taking a gap year off to gallivant around Europe, and then walk into their club of choice when they return? Which is essentially what Keane did.

By taking a year out of the game he basically ended up with unrestricted free agent privileges.

What’s to stop a player from taking a gap year off to gallivant around Europe, and then walk into their club of choice when they return? Which is essentially what Keane did.
Believe he was SPP and we chose not to offer him a train on spot so he went to Crows

After I failed year 11, I told my dad I need a gap year, I still bare the scare today

What’s to stop a player from taking a gap year off to gallivant around Europe
, and then walk into their club of choice when they return? Which is essentially what Keane did.

You mean, apart from the massive finnancial penalties from taking a year off of your career?

No idea how it worked or not do I care but he looks in impressive form

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m not keen on taking Keane back. He walked away from the club.

Let him rot in the Rundle Mall.
I'd welcome him back with open arms. Players from overseas get homesick. It was a tough time for local boys during covid let alone someone so far from home.

Did you suggest this at the time?
Suggest, no. Think, yes. The reason why I didn’t suggest it is because I assumed the club would know whether he was worth relisting.

He never really broke through when he was with us, he had all the attributes, so I figured the club thought he’d never make it….that has been proven incorrect. So if they thought he was likely, why not relist him.

Suggest, no. Think, yes. The reason why I didn’t suggest it is because I assumed the club would know whether he was worth relisting.

He never really broke through when he was with us, he had all the attributes, so I figured the club thought he’d never make it….that has been proven incorrect. So if they thought he was likely, why not relist him.
I always thought he had AFL attributes but issue was he got lost one on one and could easily be exposed. Murphy going down, Howe nearing the end he would now potentially have a spot. Would he work in our system? I dont know

I'd welcome him back with open arms. Players from overseas get homesick. It was a tough time for local boys during covid let alone someone so far from home.
Imagine the outrage if we part with a second round pick for a guy we already had on our list for nothing.

I’m not keen on taking Keane back. He walked away from the club.

Let him rot in the Rundle Mall.
This.
He was more intent on starting fights and trying to throw his weight around when he was with us.
I don't want him back

Imagine the outrage if we part with a second round pick for a guy we already had on our list for nothing.

I see your point, jmac.

Keane was unproven when he played for Collingwood, but that's no longer the case.

People and their circumstances change.

I'd argue a late second-round pick is good value for a proven defender but we'll whinge about any trade; I suspect some would complain even if Adelaide gave him back for nothing and threw in a 3rd rounder just for goodwill. :)

P.S. I didn't accept a highly paid job as a mod on the Carlton board (they still have brown paper bags) because I knew you wouldn't welcome me back.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back