Matthew Lloyd/ Kane Cornes believe Jack Reiwoldt’s tears will be used against him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh poor me wahhh wahhhh

I get payed all that money poor me away from my family.

Imagine if they tease him on the football field.

Talk about crossing the line.

Oh poor me wahhh wahhhh

I get payed all that money poor me away from my family.

Imagine if they tease him on the football field.

Talk about crossing the line.
Agree. It’s obviously a tougher time for players at the moment than we realise.

The sight of Patton balling his eyes out on the bench after nicking his hammy last night the perfect example of this. We shouldn’t be so hard on ourselves or others in these situations.

If you are forming the basis of your opinion only on wages I would agree with you.
Wages are sadly one of the most important factors in life, especially in a COVID world where a lot are still unemployed and may be for the foreseeable future. Those on 300k-1m a year have the luxury of not having to worry about this. Also don't have to worry about where their next meal is coming from either.

I empathise with some situations and some players. But some of the carry on I've read and heard anecdotally is just over-the-top. They're going to QLD; not bloody Gitmo. Some need to calm down.

Wages are sadly one of the most important factors in life, especially in a COVID world where a lot are still unemployed and may be for the foreseeable future. Those on 300k-1m a year have the luxury of not having to worry about this. Also don't have to worry about where their next meal is coming from either.

I empathise with some situations and some players. But some of the carry on I've read and heard anecdotally is just over-the-top. They're going to QLD; not bloody Gitmo. Some need to calm down.
I agree with the sentiment of your post.

Perhaps I haven’t read or heard what you have in regards to the carry on you talk of.

In reference to Riewoldt however, I don’t see how being honest yet accepting of the situation is either over the top or an issue.

But that’s just me and we’re all entitled to our view.

No. Cornes called the first hubbers out for being precious and making demands on playstations and sandwich presses. He’s also called out Reiwoldt for his comments. He’s consistent. While I disagree with both his views, at least he’s consistent here.

There’s no Vicbias here, no matter how hard you look. Perhaps you will have better luck on another thread.
Cornes isn't from Vic and I honestly have no issue with his comments.

My issue is the double-standards by other commentators now that Vic clubs have to relocate.

Cornes isn't from Vic and I honestly have no issue with his comments.

My issue is the double-standards by other commentators now that Vic clubs have to relocate.
Ahh yep. Sure there’s many other threads to chat about that. This one focuses on Cornes and Lloyd’s comments on Riewoldts demeanour.

In a way, I don't blame the players, it's a symptom of the cocoon they exist within and the feeling of self-entitlement they have. They really have no appreciation of what is going on out there in the real world and when they have to step outside their comfort zone, they sook like 2 year olds. Have to be away from home for 5 weeks, how terrible. And yet they are happy to take an end of season trip with their mates for an identical length of time, no problem leaving the family behind then, eh? AFL footballers have no appreciation what other sporting people have to endure. If they did, they'd count their blessings, STFU and just do their jobs. Imagine how they'd have gone back in the days when Test Cricket teams would spend weeks on a boat, play cricket in England for 5 months, then weeks again on the boat home, playing nearly every day whilst earning really poor wages. No mobile phones to keep in constant contact with their families. Tough? AFL players have no idea what "doing it tough" is.

It would be a little bit unpleasant and inconvenient to be told you have to go interstate for 6 weeks at short notice.

But the way Whateley craps on - you would think they are being sent off to war.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ahh yep. Sure there’s many other threads to chat about that. This one focuses on Cornes and Lloyd’s comments on Riewoldts demeanour.
Didn't mind him saying he was 'a bit emotional' but then to question why you're even playing shows a lack of mental fortitude and empathy for others already playing in the hubs so he could collect a paycheck.

Didn't mind him saying he was 'a bit emotional' but then to question why you're even playing shows a lack of mental fortitude and empathy for others already playing in the hubs so he could collect a paycheck.
after he'd only been there 1 day

Not sure why you keep bringing it back to the original hubs. He was questioning it with the reality of the situation. But in saying that, he also admitted he had an obligation to the club.

Not sure why you keep going at him when hes missing his family and getting the job done. Just like others have done before him, within and outside the AFL.

It doesn’t show he has a lack of empathy towards others in the hub, but it sounds like you interpret it that way. I’m sure if he were asked the question about whether he appreciated others contribution he would have been positive toward that. But he wasn’t asked, and we move on.

I don't get this argument. FIFO workers, soldiers etc, all signed up knowing they'd be away for long periods of time. AFL Footballers did not. I don't care either way what the players do, but this argument just seems stupid to me.

They sign up to a national comp knowing that they could be away for YEARS if drafted to any one of the 8 Non-Vic clubs.

At least when Richmond players get called sooks it’s actually based on something

Nick Riewoldt on Fox Footy today
“We didn’t just make it up about West Coast”

very telling

yeah you just can’t produce one iota of evidence to substantiate it

ie Blatant lying !

I think all of these footballers and Media personalities such as Gerard Whately need a serious reality check. They are in a bubble.

Not here to whack him for being vulnerable, but their comments and views on the plight of a footballer is in very poor taste given the situation many Australians find themselves in.

They need to be very careful IMO.
Gerald Whately carrying on about footballers like they’ve done some great service to Australia.

Save that for the doctors and nurses you pompous twat.

The fact that this is being discussed stinks of a culture of toxic masculinity which still exists within footy/footy media.

I have little sympathy for the players being away to play footy - it is what it is and 2020 is not a normal year, however I can appreciate time away from your family (especially during COVID) could make someone emotional and teary!
It’s more that there has been all this carry on from the AFL circle about how tough they’re doing and how brave they are.

I will admit it is mainly media driven but there have been some tone deaf comments from players.

Of course people are going to be pissed off when there is this big push to tell us how tough the players are doing it while so many are unemployed and full of awful anxiety not knowing what their future holds while humans cannot interact with one another.

You don’t have to be a FIFO worker or ADF member to be leaving your family frequently either. Plenty of people live families at home throughout the year as part of their jobs. They’re not ******* special in that regard.

The idea that footballers can't be upset about the situation they are in because other people have it worse is so stupid and i am so sick of hearing about.

Do the same people think that the people in Melbourne unemployed living in housing commission homes being quarantined shouldn't be upset either because other people have it worse elsewhere?

This situation sucks for literally everyone, anyone who is struggling with it should feel they can speak publicly about it.
He can feel emotions about leaving his family and all that comes with it. I don’t think anyone is arguing that he should be a robot.

It’s more that the media and players like Riewoldt seem to think this is another chance for the players to talk about their circumstances, like when a player opens up about a sick relative or their bad childhood and for us all to think poor Riewoldt. Reality is not many are going to be empathetic right now about a highly paid footy player having to head interstate away from Victoria which is locked down right now. Plenty of Victorians would kill right now to get out of this state and away from their family which they’ve been stuck with for months. Plenty would also kill for even a tiny bit of his income. The media is ****ed. Channel 7 was filming and running stories like they were shipping off for war.

Boys telling a Dad he's piss weak for caring about his family....That's their insult?? Good luck with that. Small minds I guess!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back