Traded Mega deal - 4 clubs, 2 players, 14 picks (inc #1, #2, #3, #8, #12 and 5 future picks)

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t think we are a clear winner

We just broke even which tbh is not good enough

They say the best sign of a good trade is when both parties are unhappy.

In this case, I suspect all club supporters involved would have unhappiness with elements of the trade which tells me it was about right to get the players and picks moving to the preferred destinations.

Richmond are adding two gun mids which is probably their biggest weakness, suns at a minimum will jump them.

A team that has no good KPD’s won’t make the 8.

They were all injured this year. The same players formed one of the best defenses over 2020-21. Just need one of Clurey/ Mckenzie to not be injured for most of the year to enable Aliir to do his job. Ryan Burton can play 3rd tall in a pinch and does it extremely well as long as the 3rd tall isn't a monster.

In this case, I suspect all club supporters involved would have unhappiness with elements of the trade which tells me it was about right to get the players and picks moving to the preferred destinations.

Circumstances rarely line up the way they did this time. Port were adamant about what we were willing to give up. Port supporters called the trade before it was even being discussed in the media i.e WC splitting picks for WA talent and GWS combining picks because they don't need 97 1st rounders. Very unlikely that port don't go 6-10 next year so the risk is low of the picks blowing out. With the Melbourne pick swap we have actually given up less than we thought we would for the 2 of JHF and Rioli. North was always getting slightly unders so they lose but draw really. GWS and WC had no need to do the deals so clearly they think they won based upon their draft strategy. Based upon what we know right now it's WIN/WIN/WIN/Draw. At the end of the day what happens next is immaterial, bad things can happen to anyone. Maybe JHF doesn't come on or one of the top 3 picks slips in the shower and does a double ACL. You can never predict those sorts of things. Carlton thought they fleeced WC in the Judd trade. WC thought they fleeced Geelong with Tim Kelly. Port thought it was getting fleeced by being offered Heath Scotland (who was poo at the time) for Nick Stevens (who was good). Scotland ended up having a better career and we won a flag anyway and Stevens is a perennial sh8t c8nt. Buckley never won a flag instead of 3. Boyd won a flag, pocketed some cash and hated his life most days. Buckley probably has a smaller profile if he stays at Brisbane and doesn't get the coaching/ media gigs - righty now his life is probably better than if he stayed at Brisbane.

People thought we would finish bottom 4 when we traded out Wingard/Polec/Pittard, now it looks like one of the best list management decisions in the last 15-20 years. If GWS, North, WC draft some guns, no one is going give a toss about the price. If we win a flag with JHF only being a bit player, we won't give a toss either.

The deal looks good for Port if you still rate JHF as a pick 1. I don't. Will not even be close to the best player from his draft. I think North got very good value for a depreciating asset.
Port people don't need to directly respond to this kind of humorous post, because there are so many people from other clubs, even Crows supporters (!!!) that think he's a once-in-a-generation talent, that you look like either a very bitter person or a very bad judge, take your pick.

No, I never wanted him.

I just think Ports KPD’s are short people, how you going to stop the top 8 forward lines?

Of the 6 KPDs on our list Jonas remained fit, Aliir did a Syndemosis rd 1 and was cooked for half the season, Clurey was injured about 3 times throughout the year, Mckenzie injured his knee seriously in round 1, played injured for another 3 games and was barely seen for the rest of the year, Pasini did an ACL when he was about to get a callup, Skinner (who I don't know how he passed a medical) did repeat soft tissue injuries. How do you think it went?

Of the 6 KPDs on our list Jonas remained fit, Aliir did a Syndemosis rd 1 and was cooked for half the season, Clurey was injured about 3 times throughout the year, Mckenzie injured his knee seriously in round 1, played injured for another 3 games and was barely seen for the rest of the year, Pasini did an ACL when he was about to get a callup, Skinner (who I don't know how he passed a medical) did repeat soft tissue injuries. How do you think it went?
So Allir takes Cameron, who’s taking Hawkins?

I just don’t see you guys making it near the top 8 with that backline, forward line also looks pretty weak unless Marshall continues his upwards trajectory and Willie can create some magic.

Your midfield will need to be at absolute peak performance to make the 8 but it’s a heavy load for Rozee, Butters and Wines with Amon gone and Boak a year older.

So Allir takes Cameron, who’s taking Hawkins?

I just don’t see you guys making it near the top 8 with that backline, forward line also looks pretty weak unless Marshall continues his upwards trajectory and Willie can create some magic.

Your midfield will need to be at absolute peak performance to make the 8 but it’s a heavy load for Rozee, Butters and Wines with Amon gone and Boak a year older.

Yeah a forward line of Georgiades, Finlayson, Marshall, Rioli (who you guys insist is a match winner), SPP, JHF/Fantasia/ a resting mid is poo. Just casually leave JHF/bergman/Duursma/Sinn out of our midfield (you know all first rounders). Not having to play Melbourne, Geelong, and Richmond twice will also be handy.

Why would Port be unhappy?

They got JHF and Rioli for the 8 + a future 1st that's been on the table the whole time, somehow retained pick 33, gave up 43, 53, 57 and their swaps of 2nd and 3rd round picks next year don't mean much unless they absolutely stink.

2 for 8 and 12 is a meh deal on its own. Opinions are mixed on that. On top of that we traded Rioli and 40 for 25-40 and 45-60 next year. That's hard to get excited about. I'd rather keep 40 than Port's 2023 3rd.

North gave up 2 pick 1s (one of them obviously wanting out but under contract) for 2, 3 and a future first you'd expect to be 10-15. Again, not exciting.

GWS paid the highest price for what they got but they've got a long history of paying to get where they want to be in the draft. Any Port fan that knows a Giants fan should be buying them a beer. Without GWS this deal doesn't happen.

Yeah a forward line of Georgiades, Finlayson, Marshall, Rioli (who you guys insist is a match winner), SPP, JHF/Fantasia/ a resting mid is poo. Just casually leave JHF/bergman/Duursma/Sinn out of our midfield (you know all first rounders). Not having to play Melbourne, Geelong, and Richmond twice will also be handy.
Georgiades is undersized but good, Finlayson sucks, Marshall is good, Rioli is good if he stays on the park, SPP good but has a ceiling with that disposal.

“Just casually leave out these 3 kids who’ve barely played and Duursma who has barely improved since his first year”, yeah because that’s going to get you too 8 next year 😂.

Mate you’re delusional if you think that’s competing with this years top 8.

Georgiades is undersized but good, Finlayson sucks, Marshall is good, Rioli is good if he stays on the park, SPP good but has a ceiling with that disposal.

“Just casually leave out these 3 kids who’ve barely played and Duursma who has barely improved since his first year”, yeah because that’s going to get you too 8 next year 😂.

Mate you’re delusional if you think that’s competing with this years top 8.

Yammering Blah Blah Blah GIF by The Internet

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How many numbers 1 picks end up the best player from their draft?

Just about none. Top 5 draft picks tend to have the elite attributes though. Players with really good skills, that are super quick, super fit, etc tend to go high. Lachie Neale is a gun, but he probably has no standout attribute so in some ways it isn't surprising he went late, he just has no real weaknesses. If you have a look at the super draft 2018, Walsh had outrageous professionalism, the Kings very high agility, Rozee is super quick. Harder to find that further down the draft as it stands out for all to see.

JHF is a bit of an 'all-rounder' like Neale - seems to be strong overhead, quick, good kick, tough. crashes packs. Needs to get more of the ball to become a gun of the comp, but a 25-30 possession game will beat out more other players 25-30 possession games. That's what you're paying for. The Crows are full of 25+ possession midfielders but they still lose most games. Being full of 'triers' only gets you so far, you need players with elite speed, elite skills, etc.

A lot of melting in various boards, on the WC board we're certainly getting our fair share of it, but imo I'm fine with the downgrade. Yes, could be better (duh), but could be a lot worse and if the drafting team have two targets in mind that they're fairly certain will fall outside the top 7 but were reluctant to spend pick 2 on, you make that deal. With picks 8, 12, 20 and 26 you really should be unearthing a top player from at least a couple of those picks and many draft watchers think the talent taps out not long after 30.

We also managed to get something for Rioli and avoid the real threat of walking to the PSD for zilch.

Feel free to browse my post history if you're one of those types but I've been fairly consistent that this is about right for what it took to give up pick 2 and Rioli.

The problem with rebuilding via the draft these days is that it is very difficult to bring through a big group of players together and that is how Geelong, Hawthorn etc originally did it.

With 18 teams and academies when you finish bottom 4 you are basically only getting two picks in the top 40 unless you are trading out and clubs rate the draft a lot higher now so there isn't the ability to trade a cooked Mansfield to Carlton for pick 35 and draft Paul Chapman out of it for example.

Even in the 99 and 01 drafts which were mega hauls for Geelong we still busted on Spriggs, Foster and Gardiner with top 30 picks. You need a lot of bullets to rebuild because even if you draft well there will be misses.

I think the best way now to get a foothold in the top 30 is to split a higher pick like the Eagles have done as the Giants and GC get so many picks they don't have the list spots for them all so they try to get as high as possible in the draft and pay a premium to do so.

A couple of clubs have flirted with it before as it makes logical sense. I think Melbourne split one for Tyson and Salem and GWS took Kelly. That looked a disaster early doors but Kelly has turned out more hype than substance and Salem wouldn't be that far away from him.

The problem with doing it is if the next Judd is taken at #2 and you have traded that pick out and selected Luke Molan and Barry Brooks it is career suicide for anyone within the footy department.

Flip side is the team with #2 takes Josh Schache and with the split picks you take Harry McKay and Charlie Curnow. That would be the sort of free kick you need to win a flag these days.

JHF looked genuinely comfortable at AFL level from the first bounce. 16 touches with 8 contested per game are good numbers in a side that was an absolute rabble. He got to play in one win outside beating the West Coast C's in round 2.

Yes his attitude was poor, but I don't think that will translate to where he is now. He is where he has always wanted to be.

Port were winning this trade as soon as he asked to go there.

They will be melting for a few years because they traded away 2 years of draft for Francis. Big gamble

The most we have lost is essentially a F1 pick.

We still hold a F2 and F3 and a R2 this year.

Yes we also traded pick 8 however we gain JHF who is essentially draft age still. That pick 8 would have just been used on another young player who isn’t as good as JHF. So that draft pick is offset by him.

So in short, our selling our future and 2 years of picks is completely wrong.

We are down a F1 but otherwise, business as usual.

Everyone got what they wanted.

I reckon that North won and GWS overpaid. Basically top3 to 5 is where the best players usually sit, and North increased their number of picks there. GWS lost pick 12 for a debatable upgrade IMHO.

But overall, it's great to see clubs really letting it all happen. So rare that clubs are brave enough to these sort of trades.

I'm absolutely stoked with how Port went and can't believe we only needed to give up so little.

We essentially part with 8 + F1 for JHF and Rioli. Never would have thought we'd get away with that.

I'm absolutely stoked with how Port went and can't believe we only needed to give up so little.

We essentially part with 8 + F1 for JHF and Rioli. Never would have thought we'd get away with that.

Fair enough but Rioli is spare parts in this trade. Essentially 8 and a F1 for JHF with some spare picks to get Rioli over while satisfying WC.

GWS probably gave up the most but obviously they have a target at #1.

Fair enough but Rioli is spare parts in this trade. Essentially 8 and a F1 for JHF with some spare picks to get Rioli over while satisfying WC.

GWS probably gave up the most but obviously they have a target at #1.
Sure but the main point is Port were able to make out like bandits by:
a) drawing down on the premium that GWS were willing to pay for pick 1, and
b) the reasonably unique situation of WCE willing to trade 2 for 8+12 due to (most likely) targeting specific WA players.

In isolation, pick 44 for Rioli, or 8+F1 for JHF are great deals for Port.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back